Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Sep 10, 2021, 05:07 AM   #781
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
So are you saying if the next gen is 3x faster than a 3090 then the MSRP of £$2,500 would be justified? There's no chance you get that performance uplift for less than a 3090 at today's price. Despite having a great product in RDNA2 AMD's market share is dropping due to lack of availability.

That hurts AMD badly as most Nvidia owners won't swap to AMD irrespective of performance because they're too attached to the Nvidia ecosystem and drivers. Personally it doesn't bother me but there are a lot of people on here who would be bothered
Personally I don't think most gamers are that attached to Nvidia. But you can't gain marketshare if you're not actually producing enough cards.

At this point I really think AMD and Nvidia need to consider keeping production of mid range cards on older processes. Clearly they aren't meeting demand based on how many wafers are available to them on the cutting edge.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2021, 03:14 PM   #782
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

It's much much easier to get a Radeon right now in Canada than a GeForce. Prices for both are stupid, but availability is massively in AMD's favour for the entire range. Not that Radeon's are not selling out, they are, but they seem to come right back in stock.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2021, 03:38 PM   #783
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
It's much much easier to get a Radeon right now in Canada than a GeForce. Prices for both are stupid, but availability is massively in AMD's favour for the entire range. Not that Radeon's are not selling out, they are, but they seem to come right back in stock.
Wow, nice. Radeons are very hard to get locally and they they are raping you pricewise.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 10, 2021, 03:53 PM   #784
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Similar in UK. Quite a few AMD cards but not seeming to sell well as way over MSRP. Much less RTX cards, again overpriced. Even some 3080's but selling for over £1,000 total madness. Some AIB's could be left red faced if stock is not moving and who knows a fire sale
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2021, 03:03 PM   #785
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
AMD Denies Favoring Miners Over Gamers For Radeon Cards, Claims Supply Will Improve Soon
Quote:
"That's not a priority for us. We do not prioritize our product or make them for the crypto folks, it is more for the gamers and that's a high priority from that standpoint. What's driven the growth, as you know, we had the Radeon 6000 series high-end GPUs introduced very competitive and that is driving the growth in the GPU space.
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-den...y-improve-soon

that's all well and good but they could do like NV and make LHR gaming cards
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-cryptocu...iter-ethereum/

make the LHR gaming cards out of the best chips and use the chips that are a bit off or below top specs for mining cards

and as for the " Supply Will Improve Soon " September is a little too late if RDNA 3 is 6 months a year away
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2021, 08:23 AM   #786
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

They shouldn't be prioritizing products for either group IMO. I'd be fine with segmenting it out though where both versions are available. May not matter much at this point since LHR has been partially defeated.

As far as supply improving soon weren't they telling us this back in January that things would be much better come April/May? Right yah. We'll see about this. And RDNA3 being 6-12 months away is some sort of joke yes? That can't be serious.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2021, 03:10 PM   #787
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
They shouldn't be prioritizing products for either group IMO. I'd be fine with segmenting it out though where both versions are available. May not matter much at this point since LHR has been partially defeated.

As far as supply improving soon weren't they telling us this back in January that things would be much better come April/May? Right yah. We'll see about this. And RDNA3 being 6-12 months away is some sort of joke yes? That can't be serious.
I totally agree with your sentiments concerning supply and RDNA3. AMD did say things would improve and they haven't. As for release date of RDNA3 I'd better not comment
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Sep 14, 2021, 03:25 AM   #788
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Thinking about picking up a 6700XT for some mining action. Rip what say you? Will cost about 900 bones.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2021, 05:56 AM   #789
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Thinking about picking up a 6700XT for some mining action. Rip what say you? Will cost about 900 bones.
A new 5950x and now an AMD vga.What can i say other than excelent idea...I am glad that you invest more in AMD ..
Old Sep 14, 2021, 08:04 AM   #790
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
900 seems like a lot to pay for 47MH this late in the game with only about 5-6 months of time left to mine before the end.

Reference model at 479$ would be a far better deal especially for this dedicated use case. I think a dual use card (gaming and mining) scenario benefits more from the more expensive AIB cards with better coolers.

I know you aren't in the states, so your options are probably limited. To give you an example I picked up a straight vanilla RX 6800 reference card off the AMD website sales drop and paid 579$ for 62MH. That's not chump change but it blows the doors off 900 for 47MH.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT

Last edited by Riptide : Sep 14, 2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 08:58 AM   #791
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
900 seems like a lot to pay for 47MH this late in the game with only about 5-6 months of time left to mine before the end.

Reference model at 479$ would be a far better deal especially for this dedicated use case. I think a dual use card (gaming and mining) scenario benefits more from the more expensive AIB cards with better coolers.

I know you aren't in the states, so your options are probably limited. To give you an example I picked up a straight vanilla RX 6800 reference card off the AMD website sales drop and paid 579$ for 62MH. That's not chump change but it blows the doors off 900 for 47MH.
Got it. What about a 2070 for 600 bucks for 43 MH?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 08:53 PM   #792
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:48 PM   #793
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
wonder why
Quote:
That’s according to Larry Cordisco, co-lead of the Osterweis Growth & Income Fund, which invests in mid- and large-cap companies and who is very bullish on AMD ‘s (ticker: AMD) prospects.

Advanced Micro is expected to close its $35 billion purchase of Xilinx (XLNX), a rival chip maker, later this year. When AMD does complete the deal, Cordisco expects AMD to generate about $35 billion of sales by 2024. More importantly, AMDs data center revenue could double this year and hit about $12 billion in 2024, Cordisco said.

AMD earnings are anticipated to be in the $2.75 to $3 per-share range this year and could shoot up to as much as $7 per share in 2024, he said. (The $7 is dependent on how much AMD management reinvests in the business, Cordisco said.) Net income will likely hit $3.5 billion this year and $11.5 billion by 2024.
Quote:
Cordisco pointed to the data center as an under-appreciated opportunity for AMD. It is the only company that owns commercial grade X86 chips and GPUs, which are used to process a lot of information.

AMD is engineering the two chips to work together seamlessly, Cordisco said. “The X86 and GPU interaction is one of the most important and fastest growing workloads in modern data centers,” he said. “This GPU-X86 interface is big data processing. It’s a big deal.”

He pointed to Nvidia (NVDA), which trades at $220.33, because its GPU powers data centers, Cordisco said. He doesn’t think AMD will dethrone Nvidia in the data center market, but he doesn’t think AMD is getting any credit for this potential growth segment.

“GPUs in the data center could be a multi-billion dollar business for AMD and no one talks about that,” Cordisco said.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/roc...ll-51631321955

data center, Server & Notebook CPUs are all big money

but I still think they will get to RDNA 3 for a gaming GPU next year
as they still need a good high end GPU to help sell the rest
Old Sep 15, 2021, 08:42 AM   #794
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
but I still think they will get to RDNA 3 for a gaming GPU next year
as they still need a good high end GPU to help sell the rest
I don't blame AMD, this is a good $ making area for them.

They had a good high end GPU this time around but not very easy to get one (3090 was somewhat easier if you wanted to pay the price).

yoz
Old Sep 15, 2021, 02:49 PM   #795
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
I don't blame AMD, this is a good $ making area for them.

They had a good high end GPU this time around but not very easy to get one (3090 was somewhat easier if you wanted to pay the price).
The reason you couldn't get one was AMD never imagined the sheer demand for enthusiast GPU's brought on by the pandemic and neither did Nvidia hence the shortages.

Prior to RDNA2 AMD had zero market share in the enthusiast market so they will have allocated the wafer capacity accordingly and RDNA2 was at the bottom after the consoles and their CPU's. There's nothing wrong with that it made good business sense just the pandemic demand screwed that logic.

AMD's CFO commented that the Average selling prices (ASP's) are bigger for the datacenter CPU's/GPU's so again a good business decision to target these markets now they have a foothold. AMD is a business first and foremost and it's all about profits and not satisfying certain segments.

Regarding RDNA3 if it is 3x faster it will probably cost about $£2,000 minimum as AMD now know people will pay that kind of money for that performance. Same goes for Lovelace and we know the jacket loves high prices.

I agree that the 3090 availability was better but the price was high. The performance was certainly there and quite a few of us on here bought one and are still gaming happily and that's what it's all about. We all have a different price/performance ratio but as long as you're happy with what you buy I don't see a problem.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 07:22 PM   #796
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Regarding RDNA3 if it is 3x faster it will probably cost about $£2,000 minimum as AMD now know people will pay that kind of money for that performance.
Yep. Sadly, the increased prices proved how elastic GPU prices can be, and any company making GPUs would be idiots for not taking advantage of it while they could.

Of course, with this much margin to be had, new brands may come out to compete. Intel coming out with their mid-level GPU (Arc Alchemist) could shake things a little. I'm not going to hold my breath though. Where's S3 and Matrox when you need them?
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:47 PM   #797
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
The reason you couldn't get one was AMD never imagined the sheer demand for enthusiast GPU's brought on by the pandemic and neither did Nvidia hence the shortages.

Prior to RDNA2 AMD had zero market share in the enthusiast market so they will have allocated the wafer capacity accordingly and RDNA2 was at the bottom after the consoles and their CPU's. There's nothing wrong with that it made good business sense just the pandemic demand screwed that logic.

AMD's CFO commented that the Average selling prices (ASP's) are bigger for the datacenter CPU's/GPU's so again a good business decision to target these markets now they have a foothold. AMD is a business first and foremost and it's all about profits and not satisfying certain segments.

Regarding RDNA3 if it is 3x faster it will probably cost about $£2,000 minimum as AMD now know people will pay that kind of money for that performance. Same goes for Lovelace and we know the jacket loves high prices.

I agree that the 3090 availability was better but the price was high. The performance was certainly there and quite a few of us on here bought one and are still gaming happily and that's what it's all about. We all have a different price/performance ratio but as long as you're happy with what you buy I don't see a problem.

I do feel the pandemic showed GPU's are actually more like life" sustaining essential item.I do feel for many PC gaming is about keeping sanity and not thinking about the pandemic and the world mess.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 02:31 AM   #798
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

don't think the 7900 xt will top 1500 USD and it maybe will be 2X faster than a 6900 xt in raster and maybe about 2.5X in Ray Tracing only
RT is where they need to add most

but chiplets are easier and cheaper to make and have a lot less wasted chips

but what ever the AMD price NV will be twice that of the AMD cards even if they is slower and glow in the dark
the jacket knows the faithful will pay it no matter what they will sell all they can make
this time NV will make the 2080 ti and 3090 look like they were a cheap deal
Old Sep 16, 2021, 03:22 AM   #799
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
don't think the 7900 xt will top 1500 USD and it maybe will be 2X faster than a 6900 xt in raster and maybe about 2.5X in Ray Tracing only
RT is where they need to add most

but chiplets are easier and cheaper to make and have a lot less wasted chips

but what ever the AMD price NV will be twice that of the AMD cards even if they is slower and glow in the dark
the jacket knows the faithful will pay it no matter what they will sell all they can make
this time NV will make the 2080 ti and 3090 look like they were a cheap deal

A new hobby may be needed
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:57 AM   #800
KAC
It might be gays!

XFX 6900XT for 1540 bucks a good deal?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 01:31 PM   #801
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
MSRP for 6900xt is 1000$.... It's up to do to decide if you want to spend 50% more on the card.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 01:34 PM   #802
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Yes. Get two.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2021, 03:01 PM   #803
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
MSRP for 6900xt is 1000$....
Aside from launch day I have not seen it sold for 1K.....EVER.

yoz
Old Sep 18, 2021, 03:19 PM   #804
KAC
It might be gays!

MSRP at Newegg for XFX 6900XT Merc 319 is 1739$.
At BB it is $1399 where you will pay taxes and crap. So $1540 is very close to MSRP sitting in Dubai especially.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 07:25 PM   #805
Riptide

Quote:
Aside from launch day I have not seen it sold for 1K.....EVER.
Some guy picked up one from the AMD drop last week in the discord I'm on.

MSRP of $999 is just for the reference model anyway. I can't find msrp published data for any of the AIB cards at all.

Picked up a 6800xt last Thursday from the AMD drop. Selling my 6900xt now since it's just a total waste to be dedicated mining with it in the rig. All I want is to get what I paid for it (1200+ship) at this point. And it's a good overclocker for games.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Old Sep 18, 2021, 09:06 PM   #806
acroig
Troll SMod

Awesome.

yoz
Old Sep 19, 2021, 01:04 AM   #807
KAC
It might be gays!

I would’ve gotten it but just saw that my stupid MSI Tomahawk has issues w/ cards on risers on both 3XXX and 6XXX series. What a stupid thing to do. No other board suffers from this except all MSI X570 line.