Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:26 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I will say, so far its definitely living up to the old Nioh reputation of being "clear as mud" in how obtuse the new game systems are.

With Nioh 1 I just played through it and eventually started to get everything, but not until I was close to the end of my playthrough. Luckily a lot of the smithing systems didn't really mater much until near endgame anyways. But I would like to understand more from the beginning this time. I will probably sit down and watch some online guides when I have time.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:01 AM   #32
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I will say, so far its definitely living up to the old Nioh reputation of being "clear as mud" in how obtuse the new game systems are.

With Nioh 1 I just played through it and eventually started to get everything, but not until I was close to the end of my playthrough. Luckily a lot of the smithing systems didn't really mater much until near endgame anyways. But I would like to understand more from the beginning this time. I will probably sit down and watch some online guides when I have time.
You’re going to stumble across a really nice addition to the smith watching videos. It’s literally a game changer
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:19 AM   #33
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled with

It's always fun playing the math game while smithing. Well I have 8 +1 items, I can build two +3 items out of soul matching them to get a +4 and add it to my current +4 weapon to make a +5.

Also Not having the option to reforge attributes on Accessories in Nioh 1 like in 2 is ****ing painful right now. And holy smokes Maria is the new topper for an unfun fight. Thought the lighting spears guy instant grab was annoying. Oh well, off to continue Stronk and put her off for later.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:55 AM   #34
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeah Maria is a really tough battle. Even when I went back and fought her again just for fun at nearing level 200 she was still giving me a hard time. What worked best for me was spamming guardian spirit talisman on her. It would get her in a loop of knocking her down for final blows.

I think TN deliberately made her so tough for story reasons.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 02:59 PM   #35
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Maria really was a shock to the system lol.

But that farming outside her doorway
Old Nov 24, 2021, 04:49 PM   #36
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post

But that farming outside her doorway
Yeah I found that honey hole late in my playthrough. Going there on Way of the Strong had some really high level revenants.

When I was level 120 or so, I was regularly doing a run where I'd only have to kill about 3 or 4 and would get something stupid like 32 million Amrita.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 05:07 PM   #37
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Yeah I found that honey hole late in my playthrough. Going there on Way of the Strong had some really high level revenants.

When I was level 120 or so, I was regularly doing a run where I'd only have to kill about 3 or 4 and would get something stupid like 32 million Amrita.
Yep, that was my ‘go to’ Amrita farm for quite some time

On this game, I just finished the floor 50 Boss that I mentioned a few posts back. Last time in this exact spot it took me ~10-14 attempts to beat this thing.

On the pc Thanks Meteor version I just put him away in well under 2 minutes, first time - I really hate this boss, I could never nail his timing or patterns, so this feels like vindication.

@Yellowbeard - It’s Nightmare Bringer if you’re wondering.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:52 PM   #38
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I don't remember her being all that notable.

Nioh 2 is much harder than 1. Wow. So many must-learn mechanics too. All of a sudden ochochinko cups are a commodity I need to think about in order to actually progress, since amrita gain is so shitty especially in the beginning. Damned Ifrit.

Also annoyed that I can't cast any spells yet since I haven't found a mage lock and can't cast spells without a spell to cast. So much for my +magic starting bonus. I have capacity with nothing to use it with.

The proficiency skill points is good, so you don't really have to choose. Been enjoying my throwing hatchets. Wanted to like the staff, but having a hard time getting the feel of it. Startup time seems laggy before you can really go to town and often get hit/stunned in the meantime.

So confirm... armor no longer has %damage reduction based on weight class?

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Nov 27, 2021 at 06:31 PM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2021, 02:37 AM   #39
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled withYellowBeard is not someone to be trifled with

In reference to Maria, I ended up being able to manage her with a lifeseal talisman. Think once I nerfed her ki regen it stopped the AI from absolutely spamming every attack under the sun. Still working my way through 1. Got side tracked with wanting to pick up all the trophies and not just plow through the DLC story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
I don't remember her being all that notable.

Nioh 2 is much harder than 1. Wow. So many must-learn mechanics too. All of a sudden ochochinko cups are a commodity I need to think about in order to actually progress, since amrita gain is so shitty especially in the beginning. Damned Ifrit.

Also annoyed that I can't cast any spells yet since I haven't found a mage lock and can't cast spells without a spell to cast. So much for my +magic starting bonus. I have capacity with nothing to use it with.

The proficiency skill points is good, so you don't really have to choose. Been enjoying my throwing hatchets. Wanted to like the staff, but having a hard time getting the feel of it. Startup time seems laggy before you can really go to town and often get hit/stunned in the meantime.

So confirm... armor no longer has %damage reduction based on weight class?
Yeah, the decision to not give you an Onmyo point right away was an odd one. Though I do ultimately like how the amount of points given is tied to Proficiency and hair locks. It's pretty easy to skill up magic once you get it especially once you get elemental weapon talismans since I think it goes by damage done. Problem is waiting to get that first point. I'm finding in replaying 1 it's kind of a bummer having my hands tied in how many weapon skills I can invest in at the moment.

Different armor classes still have different damage reductions in 2. It's just listed as Physical Damage % and not overall. Think it's the top listing on the armor stats. Instead of just having it listed at the top of the attributes Physical is it's own stat in the second game.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2021, 01:01 PM   #40
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
It's pretty easy to skill up magic once you get it especially once you get elemental weapon talismans since I think it goes by damage done. Problem is waiting to get that first point.
Once I managed to get the first point and a Purify talisman, Yokai got much easier. Still freaking deadly, but easier.

Still having issues with the Ifrit Enenra though.

About to max out my skills because I need to complete further missions... and can't complete this mission.

Edit: thank god... eventually a level 40 assistant showed up in the blue piles. After 3-4 attempts finally got it.

As a systems overhaul, a lot of it makes more sense and is more consistent.

Last edited by koralis : Nov 28, 2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:00 AM   #41
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

koralis, so I see you migrated to Nioh 2 as well? Cool.

I have been playing a lot of it. Decided to just stick with it and put off HZD until later. My concern was having Nioh burnout playing 2 so soon after 1, but the system changes in 2 have kept me pretty engaged. I already put over 20 hours into it and still having a blast. Currently I'm level 53 and in region 3 doing a tonfa build again. Last boss I just beat was Tatarimokke (the giant owl boss).

My overall thoughts so far are positive. Its basically a bigger, better, more complex version of Nioh.

Some things I've been noticing with the general gameplay -

In the early game with Nioh 1 for me I used to blow through the levels fairly easily and would spend most time struggling with figuring out the boss. But with Nioh 2 seems like its kind of opposite. They have added much more standard enemy variety and some of them are quite a bit more dangerous, where as I am getting through boss fights much easier. I am not sure if the bosses are overall easier than in Nioh 1, or I am just more experienced with Nioh boss fights now and/or knowing how to tune my build better than before when I was still learning the game. Up to this point the toughest boss for me in terms of number of attempts was Yatsu-No-Kami (giant snake) which still took less than 10 tries.

As for equipment management, since I understand it fully from the start this time I can't really compare. Its mostly the same with slight differences. I like how you can soul match corrupt weapons with soul cores, which is much cheaper. So soul matching has become viable in the early game. Also one thing I noticed is seems there's no familiarity on armor now, at least for NG. Maybe in NG+ with divine equipment?

Soul cores as a system is really cool. I spend a lot of time analyzing and comparing to see what are the right ones to use, and they are a super powerful tool to have during battle.

I think skill points per weapon type is a good change, and I like how you get points simply by using them. Takes a while to get Onmyo and Ninja points in the beginning though. But once you start getting them and using them seems they come progressively quicker.

Burst counter seems to be damn awesome. I started out just using phantom, but have switched to brute after seeing how much easier it is to use. You really don't need to be precise at all with the timing of brute which is nice, and it seems to be effective enough at interrupting enemy perilous attacks. Not sure if there's much more benefit to using phantom instead.

I was also struggling with making Yokai shift a powerful asset in the beginning but its been getting better lately as I've been spending the shiftling points.

So there's my initial thoughts. I would definitely agree to say Nioh 2 is an improvement over the first game and I'm still hooked. I still can't get away from using tonfa as my primary weapon though, its just so powerful for chaining together flashy ki oblierating combos.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 01:17 PM   #42
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I agree with you Meteor, regarding the levels and bosses. Most of the bosses are pretty enjoyable, but some of the levels getting to some are really Boss level themselves.

I always go back to using brute GS as well. It just fits my play style better. Plus I’ve always wound up with the highest offense and defense using certain soul cores with certain spirits.

And….you’ve decided to play it through now, and I finally put it down I’ll get back to Nioh eventually, but there’s a certain Dark Souls mod I have to see through first.

Enjoy man, you’ve got a ton of great content ahead of you
Old Nov 29, 2021, 01:28 PM   #43
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
koralis, so I see you migrated to Nioh 2 as well? Cool.
I figured they were nice enough to give me the first, I should give them a little cash and steam had a 30% off discount going.

Quote:
I have been playing a lot of it. Decided to just stick with it and put off HZD until later. My concern was having Nioh burnout playing 2 so soon after 1, but the system changes in 2 have kept me pretty engaged. I already put over 20 hours into it and still having a blast. Currently I'm level 53 and in region 3 doing a tonfa build again. Last boss I just beat was Tatarimokke (the giant owl boss).
i'm still in region 1, dealing with naga... ugggh. Had to switch up to low attacks... my normal strategy does NOT work on these things.

Quote:
In the early game with Nioh 1 for me I used to blow through the levels fairly easily and would spend most time struggling with figuring out the boss. But with Nioh 2 seems like its kind of opposite. They have added much more standard enemy variety and some of them are quite a bit more dangerous, where as I am getting through boss fights much easier.
Yokai Shift form makes things easier. If you don't have it, its harder I think. Mostly because of the whole room yokai realms, etc. Then again, Tonfa might be better for this setup than I'm using.

A big part of the learning curve are the new red- burst-blocks. If you're not good at them, you have a problem. I'm getting better. Still not perfect. Still trying to get used to use the soul-core active attacks.

Quote:
Also one thing I noticed is seems there's no familiarity on armor now, at least for NG. Maybe in NG+ with divine equipment?
familiarity for armor didn't start till Divines in Nioh either.

Quote:
Soul cores as a system is really cool. I spend a lot of time analyzing and comparing to see what are the right ones to use, and they are a super powerful tool to have during battle.
So far, I'm mostly just using the passives. Have to train myself to use the active attacks.

Quote:
Burst counter seems to be damn awesome. I started out just using phantom, but have switched to brute after seeing how much easier it is to use. You really don't need to be precise at all with the timing of brute which is nice, and it seems to be effective enough at interrupting enemy perilous attacks. Not sure if there's much more benefit to using phantom instead.
Well, phantom has ranged attacks in Yokai shift mode, and at least from the initial loadout is more heavily weighted to defense than attack. Helps keep it active.

Quote:
I was also struggling with making Yokai shift a powerful asset in the beginning but its been getting better lately as I've been spending the shiftling points.
Much like in Nioh, I'm going to have trouble using it till I can make it reliable, which means getting the extraction taliasman counterpart to load up Amrita easily. The normal pace is glacial.

Once I get it going though, it's a freight train.

Quote:
So there's my initial thoughts. I would definitely agree to say Nioh 2 is an improvement over the first game and I'm still hooked. I still can't get away from using tonfa as my primary weapon though, its just so powerful for chaining together flashy ki oblierating combos.

If it can work with your stats, consider a Hatchet secondary. The initial strong throw (especially from behind) is a GREAT opener on humans and lesser yokai. Beats the hell out of a Stone, and you don't have the ammo issue of bows/matchlocks.

I'm basically maining Hatchets... love em. There's a Guard->strike that does crazy ki damage and close and medium ranges.

Last edited by koralis : Nov 29, 2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 02:07 PM   #44
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I agree with you Meteor, regarding the levels and bosses. Most of the bosses are pretty enjoyable, but some of the levels getting to some are really Boss level themselves.

I always go back to using brute GS as well. It just fits my play style better. Plus I’ve always wound up with the highest offense and defense using certain soul cores with certain spirits.

And….you’ve decided to play it through now, and I finally put it down I’ll get back to Nioh eventually, but there’s a certain Dark Souls mod I have to see through first.

Enjoy man, you’ve got a ton of great content ahead of you
Thanks!! Another thing I forgot to mention that I love about Nioh 2 is the ultrawide support is great, and the framerate cap raised to 120 is amazing. So much smoother.

What is the Dark Souls mod you speak of? I don't know if I have time to squeeze in another game right now.

Quote:
i'm still in region 1, dealing with naga... ugggh. Had to switch up to low attacks... my normal strategy does NOT work on these things.
I'm not sure which region 1 boss you're referring to. Enenra?

Quote:
A big part of the learning curve are the new red- burst-blocks. If you're not good at them, you have a problem. I'm getting better. Still not perfect. Still trying to get used to use the soul-core active attacks.
Not 100% sure yet, but I think different burst counter versions are better suited for certain different enemies/bosses. I started out the game using mainly phantom, which you get on the first guardian spirit obtained. But I have switched to brute as I said earlier. I just find it way easier to execute successfully. Pretty much can use it anytime between the initial red flash of an enemy's wind up to when they connect with their attack. I suggest trying brute instead if you have a GS that supports it. You can also practice them in the dojo training ground.

Quote:
familiarity for armor didn't start till Divines in Nioh either.
You are right and I completely forgot! Its been a good while now since beating the Nioh 1 main game and unlocking divine equipment and armor familiarity. Since then I have spent a ton of time in the DLC, and NG+. Feels like its been ages since playing vanilla NG.

Quote:
So far, I'm mostly just using the passives. Have to train myself to use the active attacks.
Use them. They can be super powerful, and especially if you have equipment bonuses that quicken the anima recharge. I pretty much always use them to start a fight whenever encountering the tougher enemies. Hardest thing about them is choosing which ones to have equipped since you can only have two at a time (so far) due to attunement costs.

Quote:
If it can work with your stats, consider a Hatchet secondary. The initial strong throw (especially from behind) is a GREAT opener on humans and lesser yokai. Beats the hell out of a Stone, and you don't have the ammo issue of bows/matchlocks.

I'm basically maining Hatchets... love em. There's a Guard->strike that does crazy ki damage and close and medium ranges.
I should give them a try. Can't remember what they scale with. I am focusing on Constitution and Courage, and a little Heart. If they scale well with any of those could be viable for my build.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 02:15 PM   #45
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Meteor, sent you a PM.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 02:49 PM   #46
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Meteor, sent you a PM.
Got it, thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 02:52 PM   #47
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
I'm not sure which region 1 boss you're referring to. Enenra?
That's the one that had me beating my head against a flaming wall. No, I'm referring to the non-boss Naga (snake women)... they're eating my lunch unless I get in there and start hitting fast... and that isn't my usual modus operandi. I prefer a nice deliberate combat usually.

So yes, I'm thinking I'm REALLY going to enjoy their boss... "I need to speak to the manager!" "Oh... uh... nevermind!"

Quote:
Hardest thing about them is choosing which ones to have equipped since you can only have two at a time (so far) due to attunement costs.
Can you ever have more than 2 cores? In the GUI I'm only seeing space for 2 slots, one that is RT+X and one that is RT+Y? Attunement I think is to cap out how much you can fuse them to?

Quote:
I should give them a try. Can't remember what they scale with. I am focusing on Constitution and Courage, and a little Heart. If they scale well with any of those could be viable for my build.
I think skill, magic and courage.

Quote:
I also got the fast-charge throw perk... I can Strong throw, Ki Pulse (to get the attack boost), then throw 1 or two more times before my target gets to me. For Gaki, dwellers, many humans, that's death before getting in striking range, or at least serious harm. Revenants and greater Yokai are not quite so easy due to a tendency to charge and strike from a distance.

Last edited by koralis : Nov 29, 2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 03:33 PM   #48
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
That's the one that had me beating my head against a flaming wall. No, I'm referring to the non-boss Naga (snake women)... they're eating my lunch unless I get in there and start hitting fast... and that isn't my usual modus operandi. I prefer a nice deliberate combat usually.

So yes, I'm thinking I'm REALLY going to enjoy their boss... "I need to speak to the manager!" "Oh... uh... nevermind!"
Haha.

Oh OK, I for some reason thought you said boss but I just misread it. Yes, those snakes are one of the handful of tougher standard enemies in Nioh 2. In the first game it was really just the Tengu that were a formidable threat throughout the game. Now there's at least 3-4 different enemies in that class. My strategy so far for dealing with the snakes is snipe them a couple times from afar first, then when they're up on me I try dodging quickly around to their rear-left side as they tail swing. I would say 50% of the time I can get I-frames to avoid being hit. But you also need to watch out for their grab move and paralysis. Abuse them with brute burst counter.

Quote:
Can you ever have more than 2 cores? In the GUI I'm only seeing space for 2 slots, one that is RT+X and one that is RT+Y? Attunement I think is to cap out how much you can fuse them to?
Yes, only two cores per guardian active at a time. I explained that wrong. I meant to say certain cores have higher attunement costs, so you might want two particular cores but your current GS doesn't have enough attunement to allow both active at same time. Makes deciding what to use tricky.

Quote:
I think skill, magic and courage.
Cool, I will give them a shot. If I like them they'll be my secondary weapon.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 04:16 PM   #49
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Haha.

Cool, I will give them a shot. If I like them they'll be my secondary weapon.

They're hilarious vs archers and such. You can charge a throw faster than they can get their arrows off. Only works if they're close-ish and basically on your level though... distance and up/down still the domain of the real ranged weapons.

Old Nov 30, 2021, 07:45 AM   #50
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Yes, those snakes are one of the handful of tougher standard enemies in Nioh 2. In the first game it was really just the Tengu that were a formidable threat throughout the game. Now there's at least 3-4 different enemies in that class. My strategy so far for dealing with the snakes is snipe them a couple times from afar first, then when they're up on me I try dodging quickly around to their rear-left side as they tail swing. I would say 50% of the time I can get I-frames to avoid being hit. But you also need to watch out for their grab move and paralysis. Abuse them with brute burst counter.
Well, I juggled things... don't have a Brute to use, but swapped to the Feral Monkey. Even that seems better at burst countering than Phantom.. at the very least it'll get you out of the way even if it doesn't retaliate because of imperfect timing.

Changed up some soul cores to try for better Anima gain/use.

Got Life Drain spell and can now abuse that to stay in decent shape longer.

So, the non-boss snake women and Enki are now a lot less scary... still tough, but can usually pull through one-on-one.
Edit: Correction, I'm now kicking their asses as long as I have a chance to prepare.
Edit 2: Enki hit or miss. Sometimes they still clobber me. All comes down to the burst counter and avoiding grabs.

The boss-thing though had been kicking my butt. Haven't tried it yet with my new loadout, but I expect it'll be better/

Btw, wanted to say that I really like the level up decreasing JuJu costs for Nioh 2. It's a better system.

Last edited by koralis : Nov 30, 2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:23 AM   #51
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Been levelling up in the area before the snake-thing, improving stats and practicing on the snake-women and enki. Getting to the point where I can take them pretty reliably unless something goes very wrong.

Tried the boss again, and got fairly close but still failed. Will have to keep plugging away. Have a soul core to boost amrita gain now at least so that I can try it more regularly.

So, thoughts on the Strong Throw hatchet opener?

Old Dec 5, 2021, 04:38 AM   #52
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Just an update.

Got past the snake and the game has gotten a lot easier. Not "easy", but that definitely seemed to be a power threshhold that I had to get by (was levelling and practicing there for a while.) Completed region 1 and on to region 2.

Now I have a Brute, and it's definitely the easiest of the bunch to use. Been migrating to Split-staff for a bit more multi-target range ability, and getting good with it. Twin Phoenix is a great beater, and the long range High attack is useful.

Because of the way the elemental talismans work, swapping weapons isn't great so opening with hatchet and swapping doesn't really work because it'll take too long to apply Fire to the staff afterwards... not really buying you much. Might change if Nioh 2 has the "instant magic" ability somewhere... haven't started looking for it yet, but if it's there probably still locked behind a quest.

Edit: at the elephant boss. nearly got him first round. huzzah!
Edit 2: 4 attempts later (no shift available) and he's down.

So yeah, startup is rough in these games but seems to smooth out once you start getting better gear, skills, etc.

Had read that Mystic Art Awakening is pretty negligible? Opinions?

Last edited by koralis : Dec 5, 2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 01:13 PM   #53
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I just started the 5th region yesterday and yes, the viper snake boss way back in the 1st region is still the toughest boss IMO.

Its like Hino Enma from the 1st game. Not a terribly hard boss in retrospect, but to face a boss like that early in the game at low level and with weak weapons and armor makes for an especially tough fight. Everything after that though has been a relative cake walk in this game. I still can't tell if Nioh 2's bosses are truly easier than the first game's, or if I'm just better at the game overall though. But I do get the sense that with the addition of the Yokai abilities, if you have enough effects on that charge your anima quickly you are essentially unstoppable aside from the occasional misstep. Yokai shift in this game is total nerf of living weapon from the 1st game though. Its nowhere near as powerful, and honestly I hardly ever use it.

I'm currently level 86 focusing on Constitution, Heart, and Courage, using level 92 Lord's Tonfas that I soul matched up a few times, and the Sohaya armor set that I forged for all purple rarity once I got the smithing text. I feel its the most solid medium armor in the game I've found so far. Game overall is definitely an improvement over the 1st Nioh in nearly every way. Most welcomed improvements are the added enemy variety, yokai abilities/soul cores, and the level design is better. Plus loving that there's been more outdoor environments! Feel like 95% of the missions in the 1st game were at night.

Last edited by Meteor_of_War : Dec 7, 2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:16 AM   #54
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Everything after that though has been a relative cake walk in this game.
Just a day after saying this I finally ran into another tough boss that gave me some trouble for a while - Shibata Katsuie, the charging boar fire spirit using boss. Good old fashioned fight where it took several tries to learn the patterns, then execute. These fights that seem insurmountable at first but get closer and closer with each try are the ones I really enjoy most (as long as they seem fair). Up to this point I feel like Nioh 2 has been lacking a bit in them. Most bosses so far I have been able to just over power using active weapon skills and yokai abilities, or just get lucky with and take down in one or two tries. Hopefully there are more of these tricky bosses ahead.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:58 AM   #55
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Just a day after saying this I finally ran into another tough boss that gave me some trouble for a while - Shibata Katsuie, the charging boar fire spirit using boss. Good old fashioned fight where it took several tries to learn the patterns, then execute. These fights that seem insurmountable at first but get closer and closer with each try are the ones I really enjoy most (as long as they seem fair). Up to this point I feel like Nioh 2 has been lacking a bit in them. Most bosses so far I have been able to just over power using active weapon skills and yokai abilities, or just get lucky with and take down in one or two tries. Hopefully there are more of these tricky bosses ahead.
That’s one of my favorite bosses in the game. You still got some solid (by your criteria) bosses ahead, especially in the DLC. TBH though, there are a couple of mini-bosses, one in particular that kind of steals the show.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:08 PM   #56
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

It's funny, in Nioh 1 for you it was the waterblob... for me, the damned lightningbug Nue. I suspect it comes down to what specs/equipment and playstyles chosen. Might be the same for Nioh 2. Maybe you've just been running into things that are well suited to your current character? The kittycat was a pushover.

I am using the Yokai abilities more, but still mostly as an afterthought. It's just not part of my mindset. Experimenting with going back to try feral now that i've read up a bit more about how the block is supposed to work... dodge and they hit your lingering trail? wacky. Phantom I liked the sustainability of, but its block ability I never could get down at which point things mauled me. The weird part is reading people saying it's the safest version. *shrug* Phantom is basically a Parry? There's a reason I don't ever try Parry skills.

I've been using the Demon Armor smithing text and soul matching to keep things mostly up-to-date, but Demon Horns just don't come QUITE often enough. Going to get expensive to keep soul matching, so thinking I need to branch off. The early life drain was nice but becoming less and less useful.

Speaking of armor, since they got rid of the % Physical Reduction stats on armor and shifted to Vs Physical, do you get the sense that they made the defense stat more relevant than in Nioh 1? That each point is more effective, I guess? I haven't heard it said, but it SEEMS like the VS are added to Defense for that particular type of damage. Does Heavy Armor's VS Physical matter enough to pump up the stamina? (sure, the thoughness is there too.)

If I'm swapping armors, trying to figure out how heavy I need to be to feel durable-enough.

Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:43 PM   #57
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
That’s one of my favorite bosses in the game. You still got some solid (by your criteria) bosses ahead, especially in the DLC. TBH though, there are a couple of mini-bosses, one in particular that kind of steals the show.
Good to hear! I am really looking forward to what is ahead. I really have no clue. I was aware of some of the bosses in Nioh 1 before playing that one but I knew next to nothing of Nioh 2. Comparing to the length of the first game I am assuming I am about at or just past the halfway point now being on the 5th region, and not counting DLC. I've been also trying to do every unlocked side mission along the way before moving on too, but I am kind of tempted to just plow through and get to NG+ where I can really start to focus on my equipment perfecting. Most of the sides are fairly short though and the extra amrita and loot is great to keep me ahead of the game so I tend to just bang them out as I see them.

Quote:
It's funny, in Nioh 1 for you it was the waterblob... for me, the damned lightningbug Nue. I suspect it comes down to what specs/equipment and playstyles chosen. Might be the same for Nioh 2. Maybe you've just been running into things that are well suited to your current character? The kittycat was a pushover.
Well Umi-bozu was just a problem for me because I was approaching that fight all wrong. I did not light all the torches, and I was using them to fire buff my weapon during the fight which kept spawning the smaller blobs. I actually eventually finally beat it that unnecessarily hard way, and only realized afterwards you were supposed to leave the pyres alone to keep away the smaller enemies. I've done that fight several times now since then, in co-op and twlight missions and I always crush it no problem now.

But yeah I think build/weapon choice is a big part of it. For sure you can be successful with any weapon and build in the game, but you need to go with what works for you. I started my Nioh 1 playthrough focusing on Odachi and STR, and I think it was just too slow for my preferred playstyle. I'd rather be quick and numble to avoid getting hit but have lighter quick attacks, rather than tanking damage with my face but doing high damage. That's why I have been using tonfas with medium armor. I am actually pretty good at avoiding damage so it works well for me.

Also understanding boss weaknesses is key. My current tonfas in Nioh 2 are sweet. They are imbued with fire, but I also have an electric buff added on one of my active skills. So I can easily use either element whenever its called for. I also have an Onmyo spell for buffing with purity which is useful since most bosses seem to be weak to it.

Quote:
I am using the Yokai abilities more, but still mostly as an afterthought. It's just not part of my mindset. Experimenting with going back to try feral now that i've read up a bit more about how the block is supposed to work... dodge and they hit your lingering trail? wacky. Phantom I liked the sustainability of, but its block ability I never could get down at which point things mauled me. The weird part is reading people saying it's the safest version. *shrug* Phantom is basically a Parry? There's a reason I don't ever try Parry skills.
I don't know about phantom being the safest burst counter. It does indeed have short window parry timing, so you really need to know the enemy attack timing well. I think brute is definitely the safest. The window of opportunity to use it is quite long making it very easy to work with. I played around with all three in the beginning and honestly I just use brute all the time now.

You really should experiment with the yokai abilities though. Choose a couple you really like and just start using them on any tougher enemies. The soul core you got from the viper snake was a really good one I used a lot until I got something better. It just wrecks enemy Ki. Important thing is to charge your anima faster so yokai abilities are more available to you. Picking up a dropped soul core will auto-refill your gauge which is good to know. Also make sure to equip some charms that boost Anima recharge rate.

Quote:
I've been using the Demon Armor smithing text and soul matching to keep things mostly up-to-date, but Demon Horns just don't come QUITE often enough. Going to get expensive to keep soul matching, so thinking I need to branch off. The early life drain was nice but becoming less and less useful.
I soul matched my Sohaya set couple times up to around lvl 90 and stopped. Its definitely getting too expensive. Right now I have about 1 million gold and it would only be enough to soul match 3 of the pieces and leave me broke. Would rather save the gold for tempering in NG+, especially since I am pretty decent at staying alive through blocking and dodging.

Quote:
Speaking of armor, since they got rid of the % Physical Reduction stats on armor and shifted to Vs Physical, do you get the sense that they made the defense stat more relevant than in Nioh 1? That each point is more effective, I guess? I haven't heard it said, but it SEEMS like the VS are added to Defense for that particular type of damage. Does Heavy Armor's VS Physical matter enough to pump up the stamina? (sure, the thoughness is there too.)

If I'm swapping armors, trying to figure out how heavy I need to be to feel durable-enough.
I really don't know. Never get too deep into the numbers and stats. If it were me using heavy armor I would just pump levels into stamina, to get the equipment % as low as possible (at least under 70%) to keep at least a B agility rating. I think Ki and Ki recovery speed is much more important, but I'm sure that's because I use lighter armor.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 01:23 PM   #58
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
I really don't know. Never get too deep into the numbers and stats. If it were me using heavy armor I would just pump levels into stamina, to get the equipment % as low as possible (at least under 70%) to keep at least a B agility rating. I think Ki and Ki recovery speed is much more important, but I'm sure that's because I use lighter armor.
Let me rephrase that... since Armor isn't differentiated by physical reduction, the difference between heavy and medium is Defense and Vs Physical. Since all armor of the same level has the same defense, it stands to reason (assuming you got tagged!) that the Vs Physical must be reducing a fair amount of damage or why bother? Save those stamina points for something else?

Now, I realize that Heavy armor also provides a lot of toughness for blocking, so it has a use in that regardless... just trying to wrap my head around actual damage reduction. I really enjoyed taking the blows in Nioh 1.

Quote:
I'd rather be quick and numble to avoid getting hit but have lighter quick attacks, rather than tanking damage with my face but doing high damage.
I just can't wrap my head around fast attacks... Low stance, etc. Mid stance on weapons I like most... block/retaliate, swapping to High stance to beat on someone. I think it comes down to mental pacing... I enjoy slow/deliberate/strategic more than reactionary.

That said, I'm enjoying the split-staff. Different flavor from my Axe career in Nioh 1. The Twin Phoenix in mid stance lets me do a fair number of hits without needing to tap-tap-tap and I have a staff that does bonus skill ki damage as well as a lot of damage for Twin Phoenix skill specifically. Augment it with the More-damage-with-Magic-stat boost and it's been fun. Took me longer to figure out those augments than it should have. I'd been underpowered for a while now.

Quote:
You really should experiment with the yokai abilities though. Choose a couple you really like and just start using them on any tougher enemies. The soul core you got from the viper snake was a really good one I used a lot until I got something better. It just wrecks enemy Ki. Important thing is to charge your anima faster so yokai abilities are more available to you. Picking up a dropped soul core will auto-refill your gauge which is good to know. Also make sure to equip some charms that boost Anima recharge rate.

Need to deliberately choose to practice with them. I usually have plenty of Anima... mostly because I rarely use em! Usually by accident, sometimes when I get deperate to squeek out a win. Maybe I'll start using them as openers on tougher fights so that I don't need to think about it and override the muscle memory.

Old Dec 8, 2021, 01:45 PM   #59
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Let me rephrase that... since Armor isn't differentiated by physical reduction, the difference between heavy and medium is Defense and Vs Physical. Since all armor of the same level has the same defense, it stands to reason (assuming you got tagged!) that the Vs Physical must be reducing a fair amount of damage or why bother? Save those stamina points for something else?

Now, I realize that Heavy armor also provides a lot of toughness for blocking, so it has a use in that regardless... just trying to wrap my head around actual damage reduction. I really enjoyed taking the blows in Nioh 1.
Found a thread on Reddit that sounds like it might help answer your question.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/commen...duce_question/

Quote:
I just can't wrap my head around fast attacks... Low stance, etc. Mid stance on weapons I like most... block/retaliate, swapping to High stance to beat on someone. I think it comes down to mental pacing... I enjoy slow/deliberate/strategic more than reactionary.

That said, I'm enjoying the split-staff. Different flavor from my Axe career in Nioh 1. The Twin Phoenix in mid stance lets me do a fair number of hits without needing to tap-tap-tap and I have a staff that does bonus skill ki damage as well as a lot of damage for Twin Phoenix skill specifically. Augment it with the More-damage-with-Magic-stat boost and it's been fun. Took me longer to figure out those augments than it should have. I'd been underpowered for a while now.
I switch between mid and low stance for better Ki pulses (FLUX). Never really go to high stance, unless I'm literally trying to hit a high target. Mid is my main default stance, but I use low when I want better dodge efficiency, or more attacks strung together which sometimes helps destroy enemy Ki faster.

Its just a preferred style. Also depends on weapon choice. For example if I preferred using Axe I would not be focusing on lighter armor. Just doesn't make sense to do a build like that.

Quote:
Need to deliberately choose to practice with them. I usually have plenty of Anima... mostly because I rarely use em! Usually by accident, sometimes when I get deperate to squeek out a win. Maybe I'll start using them as openers on tougher fights so that I don't need to think about it and override the muscle memory.
Its a good tactic to open a fight with a yokai ability on tougher enemies. Gets them initially distracted and takes a chunk out of their Ki, then you can quickly jump in. A lot of times doing this I'll manage to finish off an enemy without them ever taking a swipe at me, if I can manage to get confusion affliction on them.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 02:00 PM   #60
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Found a thread on Reddit that sounds like it might help answer your question.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/commen...duce_question/
Thanks. Assuming I'm reading the math right, he's saying that the VS is % damage reduction, not merely added to defense. Ok then, in that case not a lot changed between Nioh 1 and 2, just how it's organizing things for presentation.

Quote:
Its a good tactic to open a fight with a yokai ability on tougher enemies. Gets them initially distracted and takes a chunk out of their Ki, then you can quickly jump in. A lot of times doing this I'll manage to finish off an enemy without them ever taking a swipe at me, if I can manage to get confusion affliction on them.
The elemental damage on the yokai ability is intrinsic to the core in question, or you added it somehow like the Shifter skills?