Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Nov 5, 2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Killdozer
Banned

Killdozer is still being judged by the masses

Default Sony releases PS2 EyeToy in USA

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/news...?searchid=5611

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. today announced the much-anticipated release of EyeToy for $49.99. Developed exclusively for the PlayStation 2, the EyeToy USB camera features unique motion-tracking technology to enable gamers to become physically part of the game. The EyeToy USB Camera comes with EyeToy: Play, developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, London Studio, the first title to showcase the PlayStation 2 exclusive EyeToy technology.

EyeToy: Play has already surpassed mass-market penetration in Europe (1 Million Units sold in 4 months) and continues to be one of the hottest selling products. The appeal of EyeToy: Play lies in its simplicity. Instead of relying on a traditional controller, a player's physical movement controls the game. Simply by plugging the EyeToy USB Camera into one of the two USB ports on the front of the PlayStation 2, the image of the player is projected on-screen. Players must then use their hands, head, knees and more to play one of the 12 mini-games included on the EyeToy: Play game disc. Each mini-game requires the player to use their body in unique ways, from quick jabs to beat back ninjas in Kung Foo, rhythmical dancing in Beat Freak, and even high-knees in Soccer Craze. With EyeToy's instantly accessible gameplay, the opportunity exists to appeal to a broad range of consumers, regardless of age or gaming experience.

EyeToy: Play will change the face of traditional gaming as we know it because of its universal appeal and innovative technology. It's easy and fun, so anyone and everyone will be able to pick it up and play," said Ami Blaire, director, product marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Based on its European success and the buzz already received in the US, we expect EyeToy to be one of this holiday's must-have products."

In another press release, Sony announced the availability of the USB headset that utilizes Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and voice recognition technologies for use with online and offline games, exclusively for the PlayStation. The USB headset has a suggested retail price of $29.99.
I saw this in an add and I was wondering if this would work with current games? It would be cool if I could use that instead of a DDR pad
Killdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 06:14 PM   #2
JohnsonLKD
Banned

JohnsonLKD is still being judged by the masses

A game shop I go all the time had this thing for display. 2 people were working on it, it looked pretty cool. I have no idea what kind of games will be released with this gadget, but that stupid bug squashing game was stupid.
JohnsonLKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 06:54 PM   #3
Renocide
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

I saw a commercial for this thing and it made the kid using it look like a total turd.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 5, 2003, 07:55 PM   #4
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

I really can't believe people are actually buying this - it's basically the kind of free games you used to get when buying a webcam 3/4 years ago...
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:56 AM   #5
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

TimothyB is still being judged by the masses

It looks like a fun party game or something, wouldn't buy it for personal play. There was a screen that looked like a robot boxing ring.
Thermalright slk-800-u heatsink
Antec True 430watt
Leadtek 6800 128mb at 400/850
Compro Videomate TV/FM Gold Plus
Maxtor IDE pci card, Audigy 1
HDs WD, 3x80gig, 60gig, 30gig
http://www.toonguru.com/
TimothyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 03:31 AM   #6
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Be kinda interesting to use in say a FPS to control things like looking around a corner or somthing small like that

I would say looking around in a FPS but that would just be annoying I think. But somthing small like looking around a corner by moving you head would be pretty sweet in a MOH or Thief type game

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 04:21 AM   #7
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Trunks0
Be kinda interesting to use in say a FPS to control things like looking around a corner or somthing small like that

I would say looking around in a FPS but that would just be annoying I think. But somthing small like looking around a corner by moving you head would be pretty sweet in a MOH or Thief type game
They had an arcade shooter that used that sort of thing for ducking etc a while back, I forget what it was called though.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote