Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Jun 29, 2021, 07:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Headphones Software to Normalize Sound Levels

Is it me getting older or is it now common for TV shows to periodically muffle and mumble dialogue and then crank the background music or effects.

The first big offender irc was BSG back in the aughts. Today, surprisingly, two of the most bothersome are Killing Eve and The Crown. The producers forget these are TV shows being watched in a home and not everyone is watching or watching with headphones. And yes, I do use cans but don't want to have to.

Some shows I automatically pick up the sound remote because I know I'll be going up and down.

So-- is there a software cure? If I have to demux first, what's good for that?

Last edited by JZL : Jun 29, 2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Otherwise the sound/music/etc is awesome for all these shows.
JZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2021, 08:11 PM   #2
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Have you tried night mode on your AVR? That tends to reduce dynamic range so explosions are less likely to wake anyone but keeps dialogue up so you can hear it at a low volume.
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2021, 05:27 PM   #3
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've found that most dynamic thing about The Crown's audio is generally the intro. The show is basically all talking--or has been in the first two seasons, and any background score is generally very subtle. It's not like there are a tonne of loud noises in it!

I'm not sure if dynamic range is your issue, or if your speakers are blowing out frequencies which should not be anywhere near that loud. In which case a proper EQ might help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 6, 2021, 09:02 AM   #4
drumphil
Radeon Volcanic Islands

drumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydrumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You could go for something like what we use at the radio station I'm the technical officer for:

http://www.breakawayone.com/

It's a shame that basic compression, like what you could get with N-Force (gawd I'm old) night mode audio drivers back in the day, seems to be not so universal these days. It's a really practical feature.

This can probably be done with a windows audio plugin thing these days, but this sort of stuff was once part of the audio device drivers.

Time moves on. Some things get better, some good ideas get forgotten.

Breakaway one is the sort of processing that keeps levels consistent when you listen to FM radio. Does some other stuff too.

The ultimate answer is to pay someone to hold the volume knob, and turn it up and down as stuff gets louder and softer.

Not a cheap solution, but what most of us do for free all the time, for our own listening.

12Bass: re: 9/11 nano-thermite conspiracy theory "Nanotermites... turns out it was a spelling error. Also explains the lack of explosions before the collapse."

Last edited by drumphil : Aug 6, 2021 at 09:11 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote