Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 2, 2020, 08:06 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I dont know, just not buying his numbers
Likely tested different scenes in MSFS20.

Those results look about right to me. They totally reflect 1080p and 1440p CPU bound scenarios, 4k isn't immune to the same limitations.. The intel chips are around 15% faster for gaming so those CPU bound results are to be expected, not surprising.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 08:20 PM   #122
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

1 review doesn't make it so when all others state otherwise.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 08:20 PM   #123
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Likely tested different scenes in MSFS20.

Those results look about right to me. They totally reflect 1080p and 1440p CPU bound scenarios, 4k isn't immune to the same limitations.. The intel chips are around 15% faster for gaming so those CPU bound results are to be expected, not surprising.
Not in everything I have seen when it comes to 4K.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2020, 08:30 PM   #124
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Sure, 4k is not often CPU bound, but when it is, it's the same as any other res.. I can tell you that right now I have 4 titles installed that are still CPU bound at 4k.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 09:23 PM   #125
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Sure, 4k is not often CPU bound, but when it is, it's the same as any other res.. I can tell you that right now I have 4 titles installed that are still CPU bound at 4k.
I wont agree until I see concrete evidence otherwise at 4K. I have not seen a game yet in multiple of multiple reviews show more then 1 to 3 percent difference at 4K. Steve's was the only one and it doesn't match up with multiple other reviews. We are going to just have to agree to disagree.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 09:29 PM   #126
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

How do peeps know when the egg is about to do a drop?

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 09:35 PM   #127
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
How do peeps know when the egg is about to do a drop?
Alot of time at the nowinstock chat.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 09:48 PM   #128
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Alot of time at the nowinstock chat.
Thanks.

yoz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 09:57 PM   #129
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
20+ FPS uplift going from what to what? 250 to 270? 180 to 200? There is no way your CPU limited under 144FPS in a single one of those games. None of those games you mentioned are super FPS intensive either like CSGO where you want 400fps+ the entire time.

Overwatch for example, the 3700X is capable of pulling over 300FPS avg on low settings @ 1080p.. at 4K you'll absolutely be GPU bottlenecked even on low. Same thing with League. Over 330FPS @ 1080p medium, and showed performance scaling up to a 2080TI.

IMO, it's a waste of money, especially with the new Ryzen chips coming out at the end of this month, but it seems you're convinced it's a CPU bottleneck, so go for it.
I've come to the conclusion that PC hardware somehow makes people become stupid. I can't count how many times I've seen people decide they need to urgently upgrade one or two months before a new release, or they urgently need to upgrade to a CPU 5% faster. In either case, no amount of people trying to talk sense into them has any effect. Anyway, everyone can clearly do whatever they want with their money, but I've approached the point where I won't even bother offering advice because it seems even writing a post is a total waste of time.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:09 PM   #130
demo
space cadet

Are you sure? I've never seen anyone do that..
Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:40 PM   #131
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I've come to the conclusion that PC hardware somehow makes people become stupid. I can't count how many times I've seen people decide they need to urgently upgrade one or two months before a new release, or they urgently need to upgrade to a CPU 5% faster. In either case, no amount of people trying to talk sense into them has any effect. Anyway, everyone can clearly do whatever they want with their money, but I've approached the point where I won't even bother offering advice because it seems even writing a post is a total waste of time.
I think people listen to the advice, just because it may not alter their decision doesn't mean they don't listen to it.

That being said I did go with the z490 tomahawk, and the 10700k. Worst case, I just return it(microcenter purchase) but they had the 10700k for $349, and the MSI for 179, and I received $20 off for the bundle. But there's definitly plenty of benchmarks out there showing a 15-30fps uplift over the 3700x at 4k, and alot more at less resolutions.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2020, 01:30 AM   #132
demo
space cadet

Easiest thing to do for performance with 10700k is set all cores to turbo frequencies. Should handle it no problem, can push it from there.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 01:52 AM   #133
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I think people listen to the advice, just because it may not alter their decision doesn't mean they don't listen to it.

That being said I did go with the z490 tomahawk, and the 10700k. Worst case, I just return it(microcenter purchase) but they had the 10700k for $349, and the MSI for 179, and I received $20 off for the bundle. But there's definitly plenty of benchmarks out there showing a 15-30fps uplift over the 3700x at 4k, and alot more at less resolutions.
Good choice man. Tell me how it is.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2020, 07:12 AM   #134
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

Just doesn't make sense to go backwards in platforms, especially when the 5000 Ryzen chips would have likely been a drop-in upgrade on your mobo.

Whatever lol
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2020, 07:22 AM   #135
demo
space cadet

I would have waited for AMD 5 series too TBH, but at least z490 has an upgrade path.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 07:29 AM   #136
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

We'll see. It would still need a BIOS update no? The Tomahawk is one of the lowest boards on the totem pole. I remember Buildzoid giving it a good review, the VRMs are well built and it has good features despite the cheapo price.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 3, 2020, 07:37 AM   #137
demo
space cadet

Z490 supports RKL and pcie 4.0 [at least most mobos, not sure about tomahawk], otherwise wouldn't have bought it myself. My 10700k is just a place holder until RKL, but AMD 5 series is looking better than I expected and RKL is limited to 8 cores... Might be switching.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 08:32 AM   #138
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Tomahawk is PCIE3.0
Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:06 AM   #139
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Tomahawk is PCIE3.0
Hmmm, you may be right. Seeing conflicting evidence on line. One website says it has everything minus the re-driver, others say it doesn't, then some say it has PCIe 4.0 m.2 slots only, then one says PCIe x16.

Think I'll return the tomahawk and go with a different board, and yes, the 10700k was a place holder for rocket lake, which is why I opted for the cheaper 10700 over the 10850k.

Sucks becasue the Tomahawk has the best vrm thermals up to the $300 price range.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 3, 2020, 05:11 PM   #140
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:

Please show them, I haven’t seen 1. You just gained 1 to 3 percent if your lucky at 4K. If you want more below that then yes. And 5000 series gets introduced in less then a week.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Oct 3, 2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:20 PM   #141
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

If it makes you all feel better I took the stuff back. . Never even took it out of the boxes.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:35 PM   #142
demo
space cadet

I think you'll be happier with AMD 5 series, plus you already have mobo
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:25 PM   #143
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
I think you'll be happier with AMD 5 series, plus you already have mobo
I'm gonna wait and see what it is, but yeah thats the idea. Granted I'll probably upgrade the mobo, not particularly a fan of this one.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 4, 2020, 05:18 AM   #144
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I think at least the good point will be that this processor and board will be available locally for me to build rather than getting scalped like a moron. At least that is situation of computers in UAE. The RTX 3080 is a complete disaster though.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:39 AM   #145
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I think at least the good point will be that this processor and board will be available locally for me to build rather than getting scalped like a moron. At least that is situation of computers in UAE. The RTX 3080 is a complete disaster though.
Yeah I did a step up back on the 19th, and even still it feels like its going to be a few months for that to come in. They are going so slow.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 8, 2020, 08:27 AM   #146
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

AMD's Twitter account has official said the new processors will be labeled the 5000 series.

Probably should change the thread title.

You guys excited for today!
AllexxisF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2020, 08:36 AM   #147
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

What time is the keynote?
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 8, 2020, 08:40 AM   #148
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
What time is the keynote?
12:00 EST
AllexxisF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2020, 09:39 AM   #149
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
You guys excited for today!
Put the Hype train gif up! You bet your panties I'm excited!!

yoz
Old Oct 8, 2020, 09:56 AM   #150
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I hope you can actually buy this hype train.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote