Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 9, 2021, 09:29 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I see no gain from going to PCI5 anytime in the next 5 years or more, we are still not saturating PCI3. Definitely not something I would worry about having for a long time. We are probably just going to get into PCI4 gaining something in the next GPU cycle. Rebar depending on the game could be upto maybe 10fps and according to what I have heard Nvidia is only adding the games that use it in the driver that make decent gains while using it, unlike AMD's approach.
It's true that it won't provide any improvement over PCIE 4.0 for a very long time but there is no point paying for PCIE 4.0 if PCIE 5.0 is available. PCIE 4.0 serves as a stand between for people who are buying platforms now and won't want to upgrade when the 4080 comes out which is fine but pointless for someone like me. PCIE 5.0 will be available before PCIE 4.0 provides any real benefit. Since I plan to upgrade platforms when the 4000 series is launched as mine will be nearing 5 years old at that point, it will be the perfect time to upgrade and skip 4.0 altogether. This could change if there is a delay of platforms but as of now thats what it looks like. I'll buy whatever PCIE is standard when the 4000 series is released and not worry about it. You won't see me argue that PCIE 5.0 is a reason to buy a new platform over a PCIE 4.0 platform regarding performance though. I'd simply buy it if it is the standard at the time of my next upgrade. No point hyping features that won't benefit during the platforms life.

Also it's worth pointing out that resizable bar is up to 10% with Forza Horizon being an exception with 8FPS gains. General performance gains across most games are about 3 FPS like I said they were. Thats when resizable bar is actually doing anything good. It's average performance across all games would be negligible.

As for the 3090, it's a poor value if you are buying it just for gaming. I think that's been established by now. Like Intel's Extreme Edition chips or Nvidia's previous Titans they aren't for people who are pinching pennies. That being said, the extra 11 FPS are very welcome in Cyberpunk 2077 for those of us that do own them.

Last edited by the_sextein : Mar 10, 2021 at 07:24 AM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:05 PM   #62
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

You guys are making me want to upgrade my z77 / 3770k second system.
Maybe acroig has some old parts lying around...
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:22 PM   #63
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Yes he does....and he will be happy to send them to you for free. As a matter of fact, he is happy to pay you to take them off his hands.

Nice work there acroig. Who would have thought such kindness existed on Rage3D.

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 10, 2021, 08:12 AM   #64
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
You guys are making me want to upgrade my z77 / 3770k second system.
I could have an 8086K with nothing to do soon........

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 08:13 AM   #65
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Yes he does....and he will be happy to send them to you for free. As a matter of fact, he is happy to pay you to take them off his hands.

Nice work there acroig. Who would have thought such kindness existed on Rage3D.

Wow..... on the spot now.....

yoz
Old Mar 10, 2021, 08:16 AM   #66
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

There is a lot of kindness on rage. Especially if you send raunchy pics in PM.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 08:23 AM   #67
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
There is a lot of kindness on rage. Especially if you send raunchy pics in PM.
Is that how Pauly sent you the Hybrid kit no charge?

yoz
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:34 AM   #68
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Is that how Pauly sent you the Hybrid kit no charge?
What do you think?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:58 AM   #69
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
What do you think?

yoz
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:05 PM   #70
KAC
It might be gays!

When are you wasting your money?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:06 PM   #71
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
When are you wasting your money?
Let's see what 11th gen Intel brings.....

yoz
Old Mar 10, 2021, 04:56 PM   #72
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I went from 8086K @ 4.9 to a 5900x @ 4.7 (avg all core clocked balls to the wall) and saw 2-5 FPS; not 2-5% or 5-10% in games.

I would honestly be surprised if a 10700K is any different even at 5.2 GHz.
I play a number of CPU bound PC titles and saw those gains easily.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:07 AM   #73
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

10900KF is $329 at Microcenter. That's an incredible deal.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:11 AM   #74
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
10900KF is $329 at Microcenter. That's an incredible deal.
Holy shite!

yoz
Old Mar 11, 2021, 08:56 PM   #75
acroig
Troll SMod

So a very kind Rager is hooking me up with an open box MSI Tomahawk for $150. If it passes his tests I'm all in and throw that 10900KF from MC as I can get it with a 5% discount.

Question is can my PSU and cooling run it without issues?

yoz
Old Mar 11, 2021, 09:07 PM   #76
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

It'll be fine. Like I said, just don't expect to hit a crazy all-core OC. My 10900K only draws about 170-180watts while gaming .. it's really not that much. During Realbench I believe it hits 230-240? That's at 1.285v under load with the IMC screaming for mercy.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Mar 11, 2021, 09:22 PM   #77
acroig
Troll SMod

Thanks nunz, appreciate the input.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:29 AM   #78
acroig
Troll SMod

Got the 10900KF @ MC, $317

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:38 AM   #79
KAC
It might be gays!

That is dope. Same price as 5600X lol.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:40 AM   #80
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Got the 10900KF @ MC, $317
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:08 AM   #81
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
That is dope. Same price as 5600X lol.
Too much bang for the buck, could not resist.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:10 AM   #82
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Thanks for getting my head straight yesterday, lots of peeps getting the CPU today.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:55 AM   #83
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
So a very kind Rager is hooking me up with an open box MSI Tomahawk for $150. If it passes his tests I'm all in and throw that 10900KF from MC as I can get it with a 5% discount.

Question is can my PSU and cooling run it without issues?
Id get the new coolermaster aio/peltier cooler

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...l360-sub-zero/

Be cool to see comparisons of your cpu on this as cpus are probably all gonna be factory oced from now on into 200w+

Id recommend the ice giant, it can certainly take the load, but it seems designed for chiplet cpus. Maybe their second gen will have a copper base and be a more general high wattage cooler.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:06 AM   #84
acroig
Troll SMod

You don't think my H100 can hack it?

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:07 AM   #85
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Get the EK AIO or the Arctic one. Wouldn't touch any other. That peltier **** is a gimmick and draws a lot of power.

The H100 will be fine as long as you aren't trying to push the voltage up
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:20 AM   #86
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

OMG I just saw the price... 350$...

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Cooler...ML360+SUB-ZERO

Ya forget about the CM. Arctic is king of the hill right now for standard aio's..

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:22 AM   #87
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Get the EK AIO or the Arctic one. Wouldn't touch any other. That peltier **** is a gimmick and draws a lot of power.

The H100 will be fine as long as you aren't trying to push the voltage up
Not touching voltage at all.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:51 AM   #88
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Not touching voltage at all.
Honestly man, the chip runs pretty great at stock. If you want to really get into it, you can use TVB which is per-core OCing. Some people do 5.5Ghz with 4 cores, 5.3-5.4 with 6-8 cores, and then 5.1 with 10 cores. It's pretty legit, and some people have had really good results using it.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 03:51 PM   #89
acroig
Troll SMod

That sounds awesome. Mobo passed all tests so will get and look forward to playing around with 10 cores.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 04:18 PM   #90
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
That peltier **** is a gimmick and draws a lot of power.
I'd also be worried about condensation, not sure how they got around that.