Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Oct 24, 2001, 07:46 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Coyote
Radeon R520

Coyote is still being judged by the masses

Angry Monitor/TV resolution. TV-OUT scrolls desktop like old Radeon!!!

Okay folks, I just came back from Best Buy and exchanged my old Radeon 64 VIVO for an 8500. I'm now thinking this was a big mistake. One reason I thought the 7500/8500 was better, because it supposedly offers simultaneous output of both monitor and TV with different resolutions/refresh rates.

This is only partly true. It has seperate refresh rates for monitor/tv and you can also leave the TV at 800x600 while your monitor is at 1024x768+.

BUT........

Coyote starts getting a little upset

The TV desktop scrolls up/down/left/right just like the old Radeon. In order to watch a DVD on TV or see the whole desktop, you still have to drop your monitor resolution to 800x600!!! WTF? If the monitor and TV both have seperate res/refresh, why can't the TV display be fixed to display the whole desktop and scale it down to fit the TV resolution, instead of scrolling?

Looks like this annoying "feature" is still present in the new Radeons. There is no way I'm going to always drop my resolution down to 800x600 everytime I pop in a DVD or want to use the tv-out.

I guess for VIVO, I'll just have to get a dedicated capture device like the Dazzle Digital Video Creator II. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Please, if you found a fix, let me know and I'll try. Otherwise, back this expensive card goes tomorrow.
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2001, 09:46 PM   #2
Night Fisher
ERGO PROXY

Night Fisher is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Monitor/TV resolution. TV-OUT scrolls desktop like old Radeon!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Coyote

The TV desktop scrolls up/down/left/right just like the old Radeon. In order to watch a DVD on TV or see the whole desktop, you still have to drop your monitor resolution to 800x600!!! WTF? If the monitor and TV both have seperate res/refresh, why can't the TV display be fixed to display the whole desktop and scale it down to fit the TV resolution, instead of scrolling?
Dunno how to use it yet eh? Okay, this is for anyone who doesn't
know:

The monitor in the DISPLAY TABS is for simultaneous desktop
images. If you want a different image, then you don't turn on
the other device (eg: TV). Instead, you go back to the settings
page (NOT ADVANCED), and under display, pull down to the 2nd
device (it might say the same name as your first device, or it may
say Default display), and then click on "extend my windows onto this
monitor".

It works even with the 800x600 boob tube.

Now, to watch a DVD on the blasted thing, just scroll the dvd player
onto the 2nd screen and then click on fullscreen. WHALLA!!

I also suggest you investigate the HYDRAVISION utilities. You'll
really like them.

Without reading/exploring things properly, I can see where folks can
get frustrated... but don't jump to conclusions. You can get different
resolutions & refresh rates...even with a TV.

Nf.
Night Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2001, 01:25 AM   #3
[email protected]
Radeon R700

T@lisman is still being judged by the masses

Ding Ding Ding..

My God...
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 25, 2001, 04:18 AM   #4
Valkoinen
Taffer

Valkoinen is still being judged by the masses

In Finland we have this saying - RTFM!
Valkoinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2001, 04:24 AM   #5
Bucci
In the dungeon

Bucci is still being judged by the masses

640 MB PC-133 RAM
Sb Live! Value
Plextor Plexwriter 10/12/32A + Toshiba SD-M1502 DVD-Rom
IBM DTLA 307030 (75 GXP, 30 GB) + DPTA 371360 (13,6 GB) + Samsung V40 (80GB)
Telewell ADSL PCI TW-IA300 + Realtek 10/100 RJ45 Network card
Samsung Syncmaster 900NF (19")
Bucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2001, 05:10 AM   #6
Lombers
Radeon R100

Lombers is still being judged by the masses

Can the 8500 output 1024x768 using TV-Out??
Old Oct 25, 2001, 05:16 AM   #7
[email protected]
Radeon R700

yes...
Old Oct 25, 2001, 05:22 AM   #8
Lestat
Questioner of Questions

Lestat is still being judged by the masses

Sure? Because a lot of people reported that the tv-out only did 800x600... And not 1024x768 as proclaimed.

L.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 05:53 AM   #9
[email protected]
Radeon R700

I will check it out. I had a 7500 (got for my sister as a gift) and it did 1024, 768 fine. I have not checked this one. I will check it out and get back to you shortly with a for sure answer.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 06:44 AM   #10
[email protected]
Radeon R700

I need to know the driver version that does not say smooth vision in it. The one that just has normal AA... the one that comes on the 7500 disk I think.

The drivers that come (that say smooth vision) are a no go. But I know for a fact that the 7500 with another set of drivers used 1024 - 768 fine. I just can not remember what drivers they are so I can test it. Anyone know?
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:10 AM   #11
Coyote
Radeon R520

Well if ATI would have a decent manual with the card explaining these things, that would help.

I can move the DVD player over to the TV, but I can't move the FILE player. How can I get the file player to the TV side?
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:32 AM   #12
nexus_7
Radeon X1950pro Crossfire

nexus_7 is still being judged by the masses

yea. I had to put my g400 MAX back in my tv system after getting happy about running the 7500 in there. Ohwell. later driverss might fix this...eithor way the g400max is plenty fast for surfing the net and playing games at 800/600.

Greg
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:54 AM   #13
Miguel 66

Miguel 66 is still being judged by the masses

Default Can't use TV out to play any video

Is anyone having a problem watching video through the TV out?

It doesn't matter which media player that I use (ATI's, Windows Media Player, Win or Power DVD) When I try to watch any type of video Media file such as DVD's, AVI's or MPG's on my TV, I just get a black screen within the media player. On my monitor, everything plays just fine. It doesn't matter if I use the TV as a separate monitor or if I use the TV to extend my desktop. I have tried this in Win98 as well as WinXP with the exact same results!

My computer will also not boot with the TV out cable plugged into the video card.

Any suggestions or feedback? It would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks!
Miguel 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2001, 02:43 PM   #14
betax
Radeon R200

betax is still being judged by the masses

Default Help

Set the TV display as DEFAULT (primary) and all your DVD software will work on the TV
betax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2001, 04:11 PM   #15
Coyote
Radeon R520

Default How?

How do you set TV to primary?
Is it the Advanced/Display tab where it has two buttons, a circle button and a button with two windows?

I currently have "extend my desktop" checked for the TV. No video appears in the ATI DVD player when I drag it to the TV desktop.

When this option above is checked, all controls under the Advanced/Display tab are disabled. If I disable the "extend my desktop" I can use these options, but the TV scrolls the desktop. If I enable the "circle" button for the TV which I assume means "Primary" and the other button for the monitor, the TV desktop scrolls.

All I want to do is play a DVD on the TV, while leaving the desktop intact on the regular monitor, without both displays scrolling the desktop. Is this too much to ask from this card?
Old Oct 25, 2001, 09:00 PM   #16
Miguel 66

Miguel 66 is still being judged by the masses

To coyote:

I found that I could set the tv as the primary display if I did not extend the desktop to the second monitor, set both the monitor & tv display to 800 X 600, then went into advanced properties, and set the TV out as the primary display (the circle icon) and made my monitor duplicate the primary display (the other icon)

This allowed me to watch a dvd or other type of video on my tv fullscreen.(After Windows crashed and rebooted) I hope that ATI fixes this in the next set of drivers, since I don't want to have to readjust my display settings everytime I want to watch a movie. Not to mention that this makes it impossible for my girlfriend (who is less computer savvy than me) to watch a dvd movie without getting me to set the whole thing up. I still can't reboot the computer with the TV out cable attached to the Video card. (The computer refuses to boot at all -black screen)

I had hoped that the Radeon 8500 would be sort of an all-in-one solution to my need for a DVD player and a fast video card, but at this rate, I might just end up trading it in for a DVD player and a cheaper video card.
Miguel 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:02 PM   #17
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

Im not experienced with the tv-out and hydravision, but could it possibly be that your power supplies arent generating enough power. As I understand 250 watt power supplies dont even run an athlon. Also check your electrical currents from your home. There should be specs that entail the amount of electricity is required for hardware...
friskyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2001, 01:38 AM   #18
Coyote
Radeon R520

Miguel 66,

Yeah, that's the only way I could get the DVD to play on TV too. By disabling "extended desktop" and lowering the resolution so it doesn't scroll. This sucks.

It was my impression that you could use your monitor as a primary display and play a DVD on the TV at the same time. Guess this was too much to ask of the Canadians. I'll wait a week or so to see if this gets fixed. I have 30days to take back to Best Buy, but I want to give them a chance first. If they can fix this, the card would be worth it to me. I too hate switching resolutions, etc just to play a DVD on the TV!

P.S. to ATI:
1. File Player can't be dragged to the extended desktop. Please fix.
2. File Player plays MPEG files a little too fast!
3. DVD player doesn't display video in it's window when run from the extended desktop. Please fix.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by Coyote : Oct 26, 2001 at 01:42 AM.