Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Oct 22, 2021, 04:31 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
The official nag icon (Windows 11 is ready!) has appeared in my taskbar.

Now I can’t upgrade. Out of principle.

Maybe I should backup win 10 first….:bleh:
Nah. You need to go all in like KAC.

The jokes are too easy for that one.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 07:38 PM   #242
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Nah. You need to go all in like KAC.

The jokes are too easy for that one.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 07:40 PM   #243
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
You have me worried MS is going to start upgrading Win 10 machines without consent. I think they did that with Win 8 on Win 7 machines back in the day.

I swear if I wake up one of these mornings with Windows 11 I'll be pissed.
I would be extremely angry if they pulled that on me. I certainly hope they don’t go down that road again.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:25 PM   #244
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

You can turn off automatic updates.

Also the reason my Intel doesn’t get a backup is because it only has games on it and 9/10 games have cloud backups. Plus it only does mining 90% of the time.

But yes, I like to joke as well.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2021, 06:02 AM   #245
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Haven’t seen this but will check it out later.

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:19 PM   #246
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
You have me worried MS is going to start upgrading Win 10 machines without consent. I think they did that with Win 8 on Win 7 machines back in the day.

I swear if I wake up one of these mornings with Windows 11 I'll be pissed.
Don't remember them doing that. I do remember people crying because Windows Update would download the upgrade files and have them ready, so that if you did decide to upgrade, it could skip the GB download and make the process faster.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2021, 02:44 PM   #247
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Don't remember them doing that. I do remember people crying because Windows Update would download the upgrade files and have them ready, so that if you did decide to upgrade, it could skip the GB download and make the process faster.
I think it was actually with Windows 7/8 machines automatically upgrading to Windows 10. I know because it happened on my mother-in-law's laptop.

Turned out if you had the "Give me recommended updates" setting enabled under Windows update it would eventually download AND install Windows 10 automatically.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2021, 09:14 AM   #248
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Getting a ton of crashes in COD CW with windows 11. **** this shite.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 09:52 AM   #249
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
User error, obviously.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:12 AM   #250
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Turn off all your RGB.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:14 AM   #251
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Turn off all your RGB.
Or fix the cable management behind the rear case door.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2021, 05:27 AM   #252
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
User error, obviously.
Peb….. KAC?

Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:21 AM   #253
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:37 PM   #254
KAC
It might be gays!

It’s a known issue.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 08:32 AM   #255
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
It’s a known issue.
User error? Yes.

yoz
Old Oct 29, 2021, 08:02 AM   #256
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Alien: Isolation with Auto HDR is
Quote:
Odd, not here. You have the latest nV driver?
I see you have a similar motherboard to what I have.

Is it worth it to upgrade to Windows 11 at this time?

Microsoft said I'm ready .
Old Oct 29, 2021, 09:49 AM   #257
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post

Only reason I did it was to get auto HDR. Otherwise I'd say wait since KAC says there are issues.

yoz
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:19 AM   #258
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:

Besides auto-HDR, which is very cool, and DirectStorage, which developers have yet to incorporate into any games that I'm aware of, there are no "must-have" benefits to Win 11. If Win 10 is working well for you, then I'd stick with it.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:46 AM   #259
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Besides auto-HDR, which is very cool, and DirectStorage, which developers have yet to incorporate into any games that I'm aware of, there are no "must-have" benefits to Win 11. If Win 10 is working well for you, then I'd stick with it.
This.

yoz
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:04 AM   #260
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have an HDR monitor.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:44 AM   #261
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have been leaving HDR on on windows 10 for the past couple years withought any issues. The desktop images look fine, games that support it work properly and games that don't work properly as well. The only thing with leaving it on is that SDR overlays while playing HDR games will be overly saturated. I had the issues of the overly saturated desktop and whatnot if left on initially but that has been fixed for quite some time now.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:52 AM   #262
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
I have an HDR monitor.
Then I'd do it, you can always go back to 10.

yoz
Old Oct 29, 2021, 04:07 PM   #263
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Maybe I’ll try it and see if there’s any improvement with the HDR. Is there any real downfall for gaming?
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2021, 07:16 PM   #264
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
Maybe I’ll try it and see if there’s any improvement with the HDR. Is there any real downfall for gaming?
No. Well, not anymore. There was if you had an AMD CPU, but that's been fixed AFAIK. Games generally run as well as they did on Win10, because it basically IS Win10 with a new skin.

EDIT: Correction. Win11 is actually a step backwards in the UI department. Win10 had a much more configurable taskbar, Start menu, and better right-click menus. I don't know WTF Microsoft was thinking with those changes. Has nothing to do with gaming, but I had to install 3rd Party apps and make registry changes to bring back the old functionality of the desktop and Start menu.

Last edited by Munkus : Oct 29, 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 08:58 PM   #265
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Definitely is some stupid changes to the right click menus, things I used all the time no longer there.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2021, 09:04 PM   #266
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
Not that I can tell but some here report games are crashing for them.

yoz
Old Oct 30, 2021, 09:39 AM   #267
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Definitely is some stupid changes to the right click menus, things I used all the time no longer there.
Here you go.

https://www.howtogeek.com/759449/how...file-explorer/

I'll be grabbing a backup drive sometime this week so I can do a proper backup and move to 11. I'm not expecting any issues as a friend here has the same exact laptop and has had no issues.

Time to get it done.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 04:21 PM   #268
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

I just jumped onto Windows 11 and found a bit of an issue with the State Repository Service - it goes absolutely berserk and uses all remaining CPU resources. I tried using SFC in the command prompt (SFC /SCANNOW) which kinda-sorta helped but didn't. It found errors, and now instead of permanently going crazy until I restart the service, it sorts itself out after a couple minutes or so.

It's apparently a known issue, but I only really run into it under very specific circumstances. If I start streaming music, then start Winamp, then set Winamp to use the line-in input, and then start the Milkdrop 2 visualizer to display on my secondary monitor, then it freaks out. It doesn't seem to matter which video card the secondary monitor is plugged into.

Otherwise, the new version of Windows seems pretty solid, at least for me.

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2021, 02:21 PM   #269
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Nov 1, 2021, 03:18 PM   #270
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I finally upgraded my last computer to Windows 11, it is an old X99 with a Haswell-E processor. This computer does not have a TPM (1.2 or 2.0) and had to jump through a couple more loops to install it, wanted to get the module (the MB supports it) but they do not exist on the Internet anymore...

So far is running great, quite a capable machine and extremely fast. I installed a NVME drive on it prior the upgrade as well.

In summary, I upgraded 6 machines at home (3 compliant and 3 non-compliant), security updates are coming through Windows Update no issues.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster X AE-5 + Edifier R1280DBs + Edifier T5 + Logitech G935 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G502 Lightspeed + Logitech Powerplay | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD 2TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 2TB | LG BD-RE | Windows 11 Pro

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Logitech MK850 Performance | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 11 Pro

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote