Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:14 AM   #451
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about the DLC. Just looked it up, appears to be three more separate regions and I assume probably harder than the main game content.

Yeesh, I just feel pretty satisfied right now but I guess there's still more Nioh to play. I will check it out after finishing the last main mission and decide if I want to complete it now or save it for later. Maybe I will wait until I get Nioh 2, and play the DLC then as a warm up to starting 2. I just feel kind of done and in a good place with the game at the moment. Kind of want to let it sit for now.
Don’t blame you, you’ve had a fast, solid run
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:31 AM   #452
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Don’t blame you, you’ve had a fast, solid run
Well not sure I'd call it fast. According to the Epic games launcher I've logged 75 hours. That's a long main campaign for a single playthrough in this type of game. Longer than most (every?) Souls game IIRC. Most Souls games are around 50 hour playthroughs for me. It was definitely awesome but I did feel a bit spent towards the end.

To be fair though I also did pretty much every sub mission too which greatly lengthened it, except the few new ones that just popped up after that last main mission I did. Also all that inventory management took up a good chunk of time. Had I avoided sub missions and there wasn't so much time with the inventory meta game I think it would have been closer to 40-50 hours.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:17 AM   #453
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I’m afraid to say how many hours I have in this game
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:31 AM   #454
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I’m afraid to say how many hours I have in this game
Like I said before, I just don't have the attention span you do. Kind of wish I did.

Also I have so many more backlogged games I want to get to.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 05:22 PM   #455
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Way of the Samurai OFFICIALLY done now. That last mission was pretty sweet. Fitting that you return to the first area of the game where you were imprisoned, to kill the main man behind the curtain pulling all the strings - Sir John Dee. That last boss fight though, man, I almost had him the first attempt but those damn floating laser eyes stun locked me to death. Then of course on the 2nd attempt they killed me instantly the same way as soon as the fight started and I lost over half million Amrita. Got that bastard the next time though.

I finished the game at level 105. Checked out how they change the over world map for Way of the Strong (really cool how you can switch back and forth!), then exited the game on first DLC region. I am contemplating what I want to do, leaning towards taking a break and playing a different game for a while. But, I am kind of thinking about re-speccing to a SKILL/DEX focused build to use dual swords and Kusarigama. I think it would keep things fresh while playing through the DLC.

Either way I am at least going to take a few days break from Nioh. Great game! Some brief final thoughts:

Overall I was skeptical in the beginning, thinking it would just be another Souls-like but of lesser quality. I have been proven dead wrong. This game IMO is better than all the Souls games to me. Of course it came after and stood on From Soft's shoulders, and just improved upon their formula. But regardless, it is to me a better overall game. The combat and skill tree and loot systems are deeper, the story and characters better done, and the overall 1600's Japan setting of the game I just find to be much cooler.

Certain gripes I had early on, like enemy variety, honestly I don't even see as too big a deal in retrospect. The issue with that to me is there's actually a lot of enemy types, but they showed almost all of them to you far too early on, then you continued playing dozens upon dozens of missions with the same enemies. But I think if you compared to most other Souls-like games the overall enemy variety count is probably similar. They just did a poor job of slowly showing them as you progressed, and the game length overall might have been a bit on the too long side of things which exacerbates it.

Level design was a bit inconsistent. Some levels had great complexity and aesthetics with good clever paths and shortcuts, while some felt a bit basic and amateurish in design (not counting the smaller sub missions).

Boss fights were overall really good, and the absolute highlight of the game. But standard enemy fighting could at times get a bit tedious. But really the game is all about leveling up your weapon skills to get more bad ass against these same enemies. Also luckily a lot of them could be ignored while making a quick run back to a boss room. Also they did a good job making those boss run backs relatively quick and painless. Don't think any of them took more than 30 seconds to a minute if you find all the shrines which is also better for player experience.

The equipment management and soulmatching/forging/crafting meta game was really deep and complex. Honestly I only finally got a good grasp of it towards the end of my playthrough. I think some of it is a bit ridiculous and not worth the time though, at least in NG. I can definitely see how it will play out better and be more useful in NG+ and beyond.

And for my last comparison to Souls, I think the best thing going for Nioh over it is Team Ninja just gives the player so much more flexibility in how to approach fighting against enemies. There's just so much depth here that puts Souls games to Shame, and all of it works so well.

But yes, great game and I will definitely be playing more, plus Nioh 2 once I pick that one up. Team Ninja is back and A-OK!

Last edited by Meteor_of_War : Oct 22, 2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 07:36 PM   #456
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Well done Meteor! I’m really glad you finally know what I was babbling about a few years ago

You echoed my thoughts on the game very closely too. TN set a bar for me personally. I believe I’ll be comparing any other game in the genre to the 2 Niohs for some time to come.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 08:11 PM   #457
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Also should have mentioned that the technical aspects of the game were top notch. Game ran very smooth aside from the very rare and hardly noticeable hitch when a level would load. But a solid smooth framerate at all times on every level. One downside is the 60 fps cap, but I understand higher framerate in these games can sometimes cause issues so I didn't want to try and mod that in. Anyways 60 fps is still fine for me.

Also in 75 hours not a single crash. It is an excellent port. Only other downside was no real easy way to get ultra wide res support without using a hex editor I believe. I don't like fussing with those since for some reason it never works for me, so I played in 16:9.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 01:23 PM   #458
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I did a respec this morning. Changed to a focus on SKILL and MAGIC rather than STR and MAGIC. I wanted to use dual swords and Kusarigama, but had second thoughts when I remembered Kusarigama also scales with DEX, and is better suited for a Ninjutsu focus. I prefer sticking to magic.

So I will try dual swords, and also stick to tonfas as my secondary. Doled out all my samurai points into my dual sword and tonfa skill trees and played around for a while this morning with dual swords for the first time. Initially I was not too impressed. They are cool, and I was quickly able to develop good strategies with them against various enemies, but they just seemed a bit underwhelming. I guess I was just used to the raw power and range of the Odachi. But after a while comboing together various skills and attacks they started to grow on me.

Also reforged my dual swords and got a nice 20% attack from behind effect which actually makes a significant damage difference. But next thing that is bugging me is armor. My previous build was STR based and I was using medium to heavy armor pieces. Now I want to focus on lighter stuff. Not necessarily Ninja garb, since it tends to have Ninjutsu bonuses which I don't need, but just somewhat lighter stuff to keep my agility at at least B (right now its C).

I figure as I start playing through the DLC and farming some revenants I'll eventually acquire some better stuff that I'll be happy with.

By the way, was wanting to ask - about how long are the 3 DLC regions? Typically the same length as a normal region in the main game? Just wanted to get an idea of how much more time I will be sinking into the game.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 02:51 PM   #459
Lazy8s
One day at a time

2 of the dlc regions are about normal minus some side missions, while I seem to remember 1 of them being a good deal shorter.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 04:29 PM   #460
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

OK thanks. Working my way through the first mission of Dragon of the North DLC.

Good lord did they put enough annoying kappas in this first mission? I cannot stand these things.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 05:29 PM   #461
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
OK thanks. Working my way through the first mission of Dragon of the North DLC.

Good lord did they put enough annoying kappas in this first mission? I cannot stand these things.
Have you died to one of their grab attacks yet? I can’t believe TN did that lol.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 08:13 PM   #462
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Have you died to one of their grab attacks yet? I can?t believe TN did that lol.
I don't think so. I'll have to look up what happens later.

They are annoying little buggers though. Very irritating to fight. I usually just take them out from a distance.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 06:52 AM   #463
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I don't think so. I'll have to look up what happens later.

They are annoying little buggers though. Very irritating to fight. I usually just take them out from a distance.
Completely agree. The way they’re set up though, a percentage of them will have a high loot + Amrita drop. They’re just such a p.I.t.a. Though

I’m awaiting your thoughts on the boss in this level too. I think it was one of my least favorite boss fights in the entire game, but after this one the enjoyment factor was pretty high, so it’s absolutely worth getting past this one.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:22 AM   #464
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Completely agree. The way they?re set up though, a percentage of them will have a high loot + Amrita drop. They?re just such a p.I.t.a. Though

I?m awaiting your thoughts on the boss in this level too. I think it was one of my least favorite boss fights in the entire game, but after this one the enjoyment factor was pretty high, so it?s absolutely worth getting past this one.
Hopefully by sometime later today I'll get through it. I spent most of my gaming time yesterday respeccing and then reforging my dual swords and also farming revenants on NG+ for armor sets. Settled on this really cool level 150 Hayabusa set that dropped. It's better for Ninjutsu focus but i just think it looks so cool. Like Ryu from the original Ninja Gaiden on NES.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:11 PM   #465
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

I hate Nue. Definitely my nemesis critter. Beating my head against a lightning wall at Greater Harmony. I'll get him eventually so that I can get faster-casting perk.

Edit: Finally got him

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Oct 24, 2021 at 12:43 PM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2021, 01:31 PM   #466
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
I hate Nue. Definitely my nemesis critter. Beating my head against a lightning wall at Greater Harmony. I'll get him eventually so that I can get faster-casting perk.

Edit: Finally got him
Yeah Nue is always a pain. Until you start using water elemental attacks on him. Messes him up good.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 03:10 PM   #467
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Hopefully by sometime later today I'll get through it. I spent most of my gaming time yesterday respeccing and then reforging my dual swords and also farming revenants on NG+ for armor sets. Settled on this really cool level 150 Hayabusa set that dropped. It's better for Ninjutsu focus but i just think it looks so cool. Like Ryu from the original Ninja Gaiden on NES.
I like that set too. I did get into the habit of maintaining 2-3 different sets too. One for encounters that need a tank, one for agility etc.

Also, not sure if you caught it or not, but the Koan manual from the hidden tea house merchant lets you also respec your prestige titles.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 03:29 PM   #468
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:

Also, not sure if you caught it or not, but the Koan manual from the hidden tea house merchant lets you also respec your prestige titles.
Nope, wasn't aware of that. This game just keeps getting deeper and deeper.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 03:40 PM   #469
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Nope, wasn't aware of that. This game just keeps getting deeper and deeper.
It does. I actually got into the habit for a while of browsing the titles I had not completed yet and working on those, for the points they score.

Some iirc are a little crazy - complete a mission using fists only lol, but most are kind of reasonable, if not a bit challenging.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:52 AM   #470
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I’m awaiting your thoughts on the boss in this level too. I think it was one of my least favorite boss fights in the entire game, but after this one the enjoyment factor was pretty high, so it’s absolutely worth getting past this one.
Just finished Yokai Country. I agree with you, this centipede arm boss was kind of crap. Was not really very fun to fight, and waay too punishing if you made even the slightest mistake. Of course I am also now a glass canon like you with the Ninja armor, but still he killed me so many times from full health due to follow-up attacks that I did not see coming. Even towards the last attempt when I was kind of getting his patterns down he kept killing me so fast if I made one wrong move.

You really had to be near perfect to beat this guy straight up. I would say probably took me about 10 damn tries, and only finally beat him because I started working on getting discord effect on him and finally did and stun locked his ass in the corner. Did not feel satisfying at all, but whatever. Moving on.

Other than that the mission itself was OK, once I got past the initial first area with the Kappas. Those enemies have taken the crown from the wheel monks as the most annoying enemy lol.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:16 AM   #471
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Samurai of Sawayama is freaking labyrinthine. I swear I've been everywhere, but I'm overlooking something because I can't progress. Spent several hours tracing my steps and looking for extra little nooks or passageways that I may have missed. Found extra passages back to the second shrine, etc, but not helping. Guess I need to watch a walkthrough to figure out what I'm missing.

Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:20 AM   #472
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Just finished Yokai Country. I agree with you, this centipede arm boss was kind of crap. Was not really very fun to fight, and waay too punishing if you made even the slightest mistake. Of course I am also now a glass canon like you with the Ninja armor, but still he killed me so many times from full health due to follow-up attacks that I did not see coming. Even towards the last attempt when I was kind of getting his patterns down he kept killing me so fast if I made one wrong move.

You really had to be near perfect to beat this guy straight up. I would say probably took me about 10 damn tries, and only finally beat him because I started working on getting discord effect on him and finally did and stun locked his ass in the corner. Did not feel satisfying at all, but whatever. Moving on.

Other than that the mission itself was OK, once I got past the initial first area with the Kappas. Those enemies have taken the crown from the wheel monks as the most annoying enemy lol.
I hate that bastard

That said, his GS is fantastic as a second GS for the pierce guard effect. Pierce guard lets you chip away at a blocking enemies health, which really comes in handy in some of the areas ahead

I might agree with you on the kappas too lol.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:42 AM   #473
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Samurai of Sawayama is freaking labyrinthine. I swear I've been everywhere, but I'm overlooking something because I can't progress. Spent several hours tracing my steps and looking for extra little nooks or passageways that I may have missed. Found extra passages back to the second shrine, etc, but not helping. Guess I need to watch a walkthrough to figure out what I'm missing.
Dropping through those holes in the floor near the rooms with the cylinders in them gets you some progress. I don’t remember which one it is you want to get to the end of the level though.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:47 AM   #474
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Dropping through those holes in the floor near the rooms with the cylinders in them gets you some progress. I don’t remember which one it is you want to get to the end of the level though.
Well, I fell through the one that fell out from under me. Assumed that the other (in front of the skeletal archer) dropped into the same room... not true?

The one I dropped into went into a spidery area, but dead-ended in one direction, and came back upstairs in the other.

Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:55 AM   #475
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Well, I fell through the one that fell out from under me. Assumed that the other (in front of the skeletal archer) dropped into the same room... not true?

The one I dropped into went into a spidery area, but dead-ended in one direction, and came back upstairs in the other.
Ah heck, now I’m questioning my memory. One of them leads to the inside of a locked cell near the second shrine, and that’s the one you want. I remember the 1st time I actually found the route I couldn’t believe I missed it before. Take and immediate right after leaving the second shrine, then another right after the Amrita fiend in that hallway. A wheelmonk is patrolling the stairs that go down to where you want to go iirc.

It was so easy I couldn’t believe I missed it < bears repeating lol.

Meteor has been through that much more recently than I, maybe he can offer a tip….
Old Oct 25, 2021, 01:37 PM   #476
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Samurai of Sawayama is indeed very difficulty to navigate. Not only that but a lot of the rooms look very similar so its easy to think you're in one place when you're actually someplace else.

I did just play through that last week, but honestly its tough to remember it clearly. That catacomb area with the spiders I believe you are meant to fall down there at least two different times, and the last time you will fall onto a higher ledge. Once you do that is leading you towards the end.

I wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't find you're way. Just look up a video guide on YT. You are probably just missing a hard to notice turn somewhere.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 01:47 PM   #477
Lazy8s
One day at a time

That’s such a tough level for me to recall. There are 2 trap doors in the floor near the skeleton archers, and there are 2 (iirc) areas where the floor is just gone, broken out. One of them leads right to the stairs going out. -again, iirc.

I could go play that right now and still get confused
Old Oct 25, 2021, 02:14 PM   #478
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I'm on The one-eyed dragon castle now. Just beat the mid-boss. Again, a level where doing certain things effects the boss fight. I cleared out all but one tower, so had one ass-hat fire bombing me during the fight. I figured, eh no reason to clear out all these towers lol. Still beat it on first attempt though.

But you were right, much more enjoyable level up to this point
Old Oct 25, 2021, 03:07 PM   #479
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I'm on The one-eyed dragon castle now. Just beat the mid-boss. Again, a level where doing certain things effects the boss fight. I cleared out all but one tower, so had one ass-hat fire bombing me during the fight. I figured, eh no reason to clear out all these towers lol. Still beat it on first attempt though.

But you were right, much more enjoyable level up to this point
I think what’s left is pretty much right up your ally from what you’ve said earlier

I think Defiant Honor is my favorite out of the dlcs, but Bloodshed’s End is a close second…
Old Oct 25, 2021, 04:00 PM   #480
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Good to know it gets better from here on out.

The challenge is definitely heightened in the DLC so far. These enemies hit so hard and have a ton of HP. I need to find a better way to do more damage.