Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lt.Doomsday
Radeon R300

Lt.Doomsday is still being judged by the masses

Default Have to Re-apply thermal paste

the CPU is an Athlon XP +2500
ThermalTake TR2 M2 CPU Fan
Mobo is a MSI Delta2 LSR
PSU is a Vantec Ion 400watt
120mm Exhaust Fan
Cheap-O Case

i'm going to re-apply the thermal paste.thing is,i don't have any thermal paste and have a fear of doing it{i built the rig and had my dad install the CPU}

but,i'm gonna do it.i really can't afford to re-build the computer if it pops,plus i don't think i can find a Athlon XP CPU in town anymore.

the questions i have:
1.Good Thermal Paste Brand?
2.How to clean off old paste?{been told to use rubbing achlol and a lint-free cloth}
Lt.Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Briner is still being judged by the masses

I've done this many times. Remove the paste from the heatsink using the highest % of isopropyl alcohol you can and coffee filters. you can use qtips and rubbing alchohol to clean the paste off the CPU or coffee filters. then apply a bit of artic silver 5 thermal compound (size of a grain of rice) to the core of the CPU and use a credit card or plastic sandwich bag to spread it out sou it is in a thin layer over the entire core.

Last edited by Briner : Apr 2, 2006 at 03:29 PM.
Briner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Briner is still being judged by the masses

I've done this many times. Remove the paste from the heatsink using the highest % of isopropyl alcohol you can and coffee filters. you can use qtips and rubbing alchohol to clean the paste off the CPU or coffee filters. then aply a bit of artic silver 5 thermal compound (size of a grain of rise) to the core of the CPU and use a credit card or plastic sandwich bag to spread it out sou it is in a thin layer over the entire core.

ooops double post sorry

Last edited by Briner : Apr 2, 2006 at 03:29 PM.
Briner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:45 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Artic Silver 5 is what I use on my Athlon XP-M 2500+. At [email protected] I have 109F load temp with ambient temp 72F. I use a needle, slip it in to the nozzle of the tube of paste about 1/8 inch, and kinda brush it over the core - use the side, not the point. Should have a nice even layer you can almost see through. That way a 5g tube will last a looooooong time.

Cleaning I use either methylated spirits/rubbing alcohol/paint thinner (in order of best to worst) with a paper towel. Light pressure and let the alcohol do its work; splash some on the paper towel and dab at the existing stuff. If you have hardened residue left over, a fingernail is what I've found best to get it off without worrying about excessive force etc.

The key to reinstalling the heatsink/fan is to be firm but gentle - dont jerk or apply sudden pressure, keep movement slow and deliberate.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:34 AM   #5
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Seems like my reccomendations fall into place.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean the core and the heatsink and usually use cotton swabs to rub it off. Then I always reach for the AS5, argueably the best paste out there, and apply it. One thing with AS5 is that it will conduct, so be careful to only get it on the CPU Die (or can on an A64) and not on the socket, motherboard, or cache bumps.

It is by no mean hard to do this, and if you ever end up installing a northbridge or gpu heatsink much of this will still apply.

One method I've heard for applying AS5 differs though. You clean the sink and die throughly, then take a little bit and put it on some plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to rub the AS5 into the heatsink and die, filling the microscopic holes while not adding noticable thickness, then wiping away the excess. The final step involves using a tiny dot of it in the center (1/2-1/4 of a grain of rice) and applying the heatsink without sreading.

This method supposedly works better for complete contact heatsinks, but if the sink or CPU is even the slightest bit curved, this method performs VERY poorly. I would reccomend applying a thin opaque layer as the others have said especially if this is your first time doing it.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote