Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 16, 2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

ULTRATRON38 is still being judged by the masses

Default An issue that needs to be addressed..

As mentioned in my Core 2 DUO 9700GTX combo thread, I have a fancy schmancy CURVED monitor that runs at 144hz. The problem is that after a few weeks, the monitor would reset to 640x480 res whenever the system went into sleep mode. The only way to fix this issue would be to unplug & reconnect the displayport cable in the back of the monitor. Eventually the problem progressed to the point where the displayport connection would constantly fail and the sceen would go black. Sometimes it would take multiple plugging & unpluggings of the cable to get a signal again.

Curious, I searched the archives of the internet and discovered this problem dates back to the start of the displayport era. It seems AMD users blamed AMD, Nvidia users blamed NVIDIA, and monitor owners blamed the specific brands of their various monitors. The truth is the issue never had a solution and the root cause was not the brand of card or monitor, it was seemingly the displayport connector itself.

I currently have given up running my monitor at 144hz and am using an HDMI cable which has no issues. My plan is to buy a displayport to displayport cable to see if that eases the issue (Problems have been with a minidisplayport to displayport cable) but according to the archives of the internet this issue is with both mini and displayport displayport.

Has anyone else had this issue? and if so does it anger you as well? I see no solution and wish manufacturers would stick to the tried & true 144hz capable DVI-D which, like AGP has sadly been abandoned by many hardware manufacturers.

All IMO
ULTRATRON38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Maybe disable sleep mode and just set your computer to hibernate instead? It will turn on almost as fast as sleep, but shouldn't have the problem since it's technically turning off, and it will also save more power than being in sleep mode.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2016, 07:12 PM   #3
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Tried that months ago, did not work. Seems the problem with displayport interface is degenerative over time. If that's the case, 144hz monitors SHOULD NOTbe sold with only a displayport connector that apparently has a systemic problem that's been occurring for years and was never addressed.

Also tried all other remedies such as unplugging, etc. I think what happens is the initial issue is the resetting to 640x480, and then the displayport port gets worn out over time with all the unplugging and re-plugging, which leads to the larger black screen / loss of signal issue.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 17, 2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

What brand of DP cables are you buying? Accell Cables have always been DP certified. They were one of the only companies at the beginning who were selling certified cables and adapters. I own dozens of the mDP to DVI adapters due to my stable of AMD-based 6 output presentation computers and I've rarely had an issue with connectivity. It isn't the port, it's usually the cable or adapter. I've only encountered 1 or 2 bad adapters in over 5 years. I've never had a problem using mDP > DP cables. But, I make sure to support the company who has always made certified stuff.

http://www.accellcables.com/

Hope this helps.
My .02

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:29 AM   #5
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Always helps to know of brands that are certified and have worked out for others. Thank you, Sir

Thankfully I still have an unused displayport port on the monitor that should work w/ the new cable. Perhaps the cable included w/ the monitor was shoddy, but I also think my mini port is now shot as well with all the plugging & unplugging over time.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 04:07 PM   #6
SimonCIon
Radeon R300

SimonCIon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRATRON38 View Post
As mentioned in my Core 2 DUO 9700GTX combo thread, I have a fancy schmancy CURVED monitor that runs at 144hz. The problem is that after a few weeks, the monitor would reset to 640x480 res whenever the system went into sleep mode. The only way to fix this issue would be to unplug & reconnect the displayport cable in the back of the monitor. Eventually the problem progressed to the point where the displayport connection would constantly fail and the sceen would go black. Sometimes it would take multiple plugging & unpluggings of the cable to get a signal again.
Either your monitor is damaged, your cable is damaged, or your cable is far too long. (To calibrate your expectations, I have a DisplayPort 1.2 cable that's fifteen feet long. It works just fine.)

Quote:
Curious, I searched the archives of the internet and discovered this problem dates back to the start of the displayport era. It seems AMD users blamed AMD, Nvidia users blamed NVIDIA, and monitor owners blamed the specific brands of their various monitors. The truth is the issue never had a solution and the root cause was not the brand of card or monitor, it was seemingly the displayport connector itself.
Yep. Fundamental attribution errors happen on The Internet, too. We've all seen people attribute system freezes and crashes to Windows, a new video game patch, or the time of day when the real culprit is their dodgy/insufficient power supply, using toothpaste in place of thermal paste, or their absurdly high overclock.

There are millions of devices that use DisplayPort connectors, and millions of people getting many, many years of trouble-free service out of those devices. (I -for one- am on my sixth year of trouble-free service with my current DP source and sink.) DisplayPort isn't degenerative over time; some cables are shoddy, some devices are poorly designed, and -sadly- some devices just aren't built to last.

(Never forget: people who are having trouble-free service almost never write about it on the Internet.)
SimonCIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:37 PM   #7
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

The cable that was included may have been of poor quality, but many people also report the 640x480 reset issue while using displayport. I just ordered an Accell 6.6 foot certified cable and have a new port to plug it into... so we shall see...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:48 AM   #8
SimonCIon
Radeon R300

Quote:
The cable that was included may have been of poor quality, but many people also report the 640x480 reset issue while using displayport.
And I'm sure that there are many poorly manufactured monitors that report absolutely batshit crazy EDID information out there. (I know I've encountered a small handful of them throughout my career.)

Good that you're getting a new cable. If you still have trouble, try with a known-good monitor and video card. I assure you that well designed products that have DisplayPort connectors (that haven't suffered signficant physical abuse) don't exhibit the symptoms that you're reporting.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 02:18 PM   #9
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCIon View Post
And I'm sure that there are many poorly manufactured monitors that report absolutely batshit crazy EDID information out there. (I know I've encountered a small handful of them throughout my career.)

Good that you're getting a new cable. If you still have trouble, try with a known-good monitor and video card. I assure you that well designed products that have DisplayPort connectors (that haven't suffered signficant physical abuse) don't exhibit the symptoms that you're reporting.
The monitor and graphics card weren't an issue..
Old Sep 19, 2016, 02:23 PM   #10
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago View Post
What brand of DP cables are you buying? Accell Cables have always been DP certified. They were one of the only companies at the beginning who were selling certified cables and adapters. I own dozens of the mDP to DVI adapters due to my stable of AMD-based 6 output presentation computers and I've rarely had an issue with connectivity. It isn't the port, it's usually the cable or adapter. I've only encountered 1 or 2 bad adapters in over 5 years. I've never had a problem using mDP > DP cables. But, I make sure to support the company who has always made certified stuff.

http://www.accellcables.com/

Hope this helps.
My .02
As it turns out, the cable included with my KNOWN monitor was cheap, flimsy, utter JUNK!

The Accell cable arrived today, was 700% thicker, and all displayport issues have now been resolved. Moral of the story, if you buy a displayport 144hz monitor, regardless of brand, assume the company put in a cheap cord and buy a certified displayport cable ASAP.

Thank you again for the brand suggestion, sir. My system is now FULLY FUNCTIONAL once again.

Last edited by ULTRATRON38 : Sep 19, 2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

My loss of signal issues have completely disappeared and Im still using the cable that came with the monitor. One thing Ive noticed though is that in device manager, windows is showing my Acer Predator primary monitor as a Generic PnP monitor but shows my secondary monitor as a Samsung Syncmaster 245BW as it should.

Why would windows properly detect my very old samsung monitor but not the more recent Acer Predator and do guys think that might be a cause for concern ?
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 03:54 PM   #12
deadite_9
random and/or senseless

deadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydeadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
My loss of signal issues have completely disappeared and Im still using the cable that came with the monitor. One thing Ive noticed though is that in device manager, windows is showing my Acer Predator primary monitor as a Generic PnP monitor but shows my secondary monitor as a Samsung Syncmaster 245BW as it should.

Why would windows properly detect my very old samsung monitor but not the more recent Acer Predator and do guys think that might be a cause for concern ?
Actually, that sounds about right. Every new monitor I've ever had has always been listed in Device Manager as Generic PnP. It only changes if I install the driver from the manufacturer. And sometimes Windows won't even let me install the official driver because it says that the best one is the generic one that's already installed. The NV control panel always sees the monitor correctly, though.

My Predator XB241H shows up as a generic monitor by default and works fine with either driver. Acer probably has one for your monitor listed on their site if you want to update it.

:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: AVR Onkyo TX-RZ830 (7.2.2) ::
:: UHD
Panasonic DP-UB820 :: BD Oppo BDP-83 :: CD Onkyo DX-C390 ::
:: PHONO
Technics SL-1200MK2 :: CONSOLE Xbox One X + PS4 Pro ::
:: MISC
Apple TV 4K (64GB) :: FRONT SVS Prime Tower (black ash) ::
:: FRONT HEIGHT
SVS Prime Elevation :: CENTER SVS Prime Center ::
:: LFE
(2x) Hsu Research VTF-2 MK5 (ported mode) + miniDSP 2x4 HD ::
:: SIDE SURROUND
SVS Prime Elevation :: SUB Hsu Research STF-2 ::
:: REAR SURROUND
SVS Prime Elevation :: SUB Hsu Research STF-1 ::

:: CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X :: MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ::
:: AIO
Corsair H150i PRO + (6x) Noctua NF-F12 chromax + NA-FC1 ::
:: DDR4
32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3600MHz (14-14-14-36/1T, silver/black) ::
:: GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA + Mnpctech support bracket (black) ::
:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: AUDIO HDMI out (HT, 7.2) ::
:: OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) :: NVME Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1TB) ::
:: SSD
(4x) Samsung 860 EVO (4TB/2TB/1TB/1TB) :: HDD1 WD Black (4TB) ::
:: HDD2
WD Gold (6TB, backup) :: CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (black) ::
:: FANS
(3x) Noctua NF-F12 chromax + (4x) NF-S12A chromax + (2x) NA-FC1 ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 + CableMod PRO series (black/white) ::
:: INPUT
Logitech G613 + G305 + Xbox One S controller (wireless) ::

:: CPU
Core i7 7820X (4.5GHz) :: MB ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming ::
:: AIO
Corsair H115i + (2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax + NA-FC1 ::
:: DDR4
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3000MHz (15-17-17-35) ::
:: GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 + hybrid kit + (1x) Noctua NF-F12 chromax ::
:: AUDIO
ROG SupremeFX (S1220A) :: OS Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) ::
:: SSD
(1x) Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) + (1x) 860 EVO (500GB) ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 + CableMod Pro series (black/white) ::
:: CASE
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (silver, DEMCiflex intake filters) ::
:: FANS
(2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax ::
deadite_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 05:13 PM   #13
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Tried that months ago, did not work. Seems the problem with displayport interface is degenerative over time
I've never had that issue over DisplayPort. The interface will not degenerate. Perhaps a cheap cable that doesn't meet specializations maybe? Tried a quality cable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Quote:
As it turns out, the cable included with my KNOWN monitor was cheap, flimsy, utter JUNK!

The Accell cable arrived today, was 700% thicker, and all displayport issues have now been resolved. Moral of the story, if you buy a displayport 144hz monitor, regardless of brand, assume the company put in a cheap cord and buy a certified displayport cable ASAP.

Thank you again for the brand suggestion, sir. My system is now FULLY FUNCTIONAL once again.
Awesome.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:27 AM   #15
SimonCIon
Radeon R300

I'm glad that you discovered that your cable was faulty, rather than some other, more expensive part of the path.

Quote:
Moral of the story, if you buy a displayport 144hz monitor, regardless of brand, assume the company put in a cheap cord and buy a certified displayport cable ASAP.
Nah. The moral of the story is

Quote:
Seems the problem with displayport interface is degenerative over time. If that's the case, 144hz monitors SHOULD NOT be sold with only a displayport connector that apparently has a systemic problem that's been occurring for years and was never addressed.
it's highly unlikely that a major consumer display connection technology that has been fielded in a _wide_ variety of products for the past eight years has a design flaw that causes it to gradually stop functioning over a span of a year or less.

It's more likely that the problem lies in one or more of the devices involved, or in the cabling connecting them.

Always remember: Think horses, not zebras. Or to put it another way: select(2) isn't broken.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:54 AM   #16
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCIon View Post
it's highly unlikely that a major consumer display connection technology that has been fielded in a _wide_ variety of products for the past eight years has a design flaw that causes it to gradually stop functioning over a span of a year or less.

It's more likely that the problem lies in one or more of the devices involved, or in the cabling connecting them.

Always remember: Think horses, not zebras. Or to put it another way: select(2) isn't broken.
Whether we are speaking in plain English or something more abstract, our conclusions are essentially the same.

If the manufacturers want to cut costs, I'd prefer they leave the cable out altogether, rather than include junk that is unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago View Post
Awesome.
Indeed!

Last edited by ULTRATRON38 : Sep 22, 2016 at 05:14 PM.