Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Sep 11, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
o.O_O.o

o.O_O.o is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy Strange issue with brightness/gamma

Hi,

I've searched and searched and searched the web and these forums and have yet to come up with an answer to my problem.

I know this question has been asked many times before but no matter what I do I CANNOT get this issue resolved. Most of the times it's just try this driver/use this app... which hasn't solved anything so far anyway.

Ok, here goes...

Whenever I play *some* games in full screen mode they are very, very dark to the point of being unplayable.

Game examples of this are:

Fable: The lost chapters
Flyff

^Regarding those:

-When I first installed Fable I started it up, played for hours and the brightness/gamma was perfect, no problem whatsoever.

I start up the next day and it's all too dark to play. I jack up the gamma/brightness levels from the CCC (trying both 3d color settings and desktop color settings)and I get:

-It has no effect and only responds to the brightness option in it's own menu

I've also tried setting up hot keys to change the brightness/gamma/contrast while in the game but it does nothing. Fable refuses to use any other settings then it's own... which were fine when I first installed and then mysteriously change the next day after changing *nothing*.

I've also tried starting the game via a profile shortcut, still has no effect.

So when I go and jack up the brightness option in the game itself I get:

-It makes the interface(health/mana bars, menus, etc.) WAAAAY too bright and *appears* to brighten the 3d world of the game somewhat but then the second I walk into a house/store it's pretty much all dark inside, can hardly see anything but for the green outline of some NPCs when I'm close enough

Regarding Flyff:

Strange thing about this one is the fact that if I try running it at full screen, it's waaaaay too dark to play at all. However, the second I put it in a window that is pretty much the same as being full screen but for a minor window bar at the top of the screen, it's bright and perfect.

More strangeness:

-My desktop is fine, bright no problem

-I've had this problem with 2 different video cards: An ancient Geforce4 mx440 64mb and my current one: Ati radeon 9550 256mb

-Some other games play fine in full screen, examples:

Guild wars
Titan quest

Things I have done/tried:

-Inreasing gamma/brightness levels of the monitor(At max)

-Increasing gamma/brightness levels from the CCC(Has no effect, I don't know why...)

-Updating to the latest Catalyst drivers

-Using Driver Cleaner to remove any traces of the previous nvidia stuff

My system info:

Windows XP SP2
P4 Non-HT 2.66ghz
1gb ram
120gb HD
Ati Radeon 9550 256mb AGP
Compaq mv540 monitor (yes, OOOOOOOoooold and small ... but I'm convinced this is NOT the problem seeing as how fable worked the way it did... not to mention Guild Wars which runs fine.

Drivers = Latest by Ati(Like seriously, changed them yesterday)...(yes, made sure to uninstall properly etc, but this issue has existed before and after 2 cards and many drivers... yet at the same time seems... kind of random in a way...like how fable played fine at first... then not so much, I'm pretty sure it's some setting/s being messed with I just have no idea how/where/why)

Directx = 9c

DirectDraw tests = Fine

Directx tests = Fine

I think I've covered everything I wanted to... so...

any ideas?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:45 PM   #2
The Voodoo
Radeon HD 6990

The Voodoo is still being judged by the masses

That doesn't seem so strange. Ever play ut99 in opengl? Too dark to see and brightness controls don't work.

My solution was to use ATI Tray tools. You can force to change the brightness when entering a game. Seems to work fine for what I've used it for.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Blashy
Radeon R200

Blashy is still being judged by the masses

What is the ATI tray tools?

Do you mean simply enabling the system tray from ati?
1Gig DDR RAM
2*160 Gig 7200RPM ATA 100 8m cache
Radeon 9600
Sound Blaster Live.
8X DVD & 16/8/40 LG Burner
19" BenQ LCD TV/Monitor
See you in there.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4
The Voodoo
Radeon HD 6990

The Voodoo is still being judged by the masses

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/31...ray-tools.html

Great little program. I use it for all my games. Makes things easier.