Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Nov 24, 2021, 02:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
luxor
Mendoza

luxor is still being judged by the masses

Default VPN Provider Recommendations

I'm starting to think that I probably should be using a VPN service. There seem to be a large variety of offerings for this type of service.
I was wondering if any of you could share your experience with with your VPN provider, especially if you're located in Canada.
luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2021, 03:23 PM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Generally speaking a VPN really isn't important. It's just handy to access stuff that is region locked(especially when traveling). Or if you use allot open wifi networks.

But that said, I like Proton VPN. Country they are based in has really strong privacy laws

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2021, 06:53 PM   #3
luxor
Mendoza

Thanks! Will look into it!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 27, 2021, 05:24 AM   #4
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Good luck. They all claim to not cough up data and info to authorities but when forced they still do.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 05:22 PM   #5
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Good luck. They all claim to not cough up data and info to authorities but when forced they still do.
of course they do do you expect them to act otherwise? It's the same story with peoples data when they subscribe to VIP memberships on uuuuuhmm..... "streamingsites"..... once they get into the spotlight they hand over every bit of data they have, good luck pretending you never visited that site.....

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2021, 02:02 AM   #6
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

If you're not downloading torrents or doing other gray market activity, or need to get around a region lock, then I'd probably not bother.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:34 AM   #7
luxor
Mendoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
If you're not downloading torrents or doing other gray market activity, or need to get around a region lock, then I'd probably not bother.
That's what I'm now thinking. I tried the free version of Proton VPN suggested by Trunks before signing up. It works fairly well though some sites are not reachable when the VPN is activated. I think I'll save my money and not bother. I'm not into torrents.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:56 AM   #8
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I agree with what's been said so far. VPNs are an OK first line of defense if you're paranoid or doing shady stuff on the web, but for the average user they are unnecessary. They aren't as private as they claim, though. If you're hyper-paranoid, then VPN + Tor browser is the way to go, but the connections are really slow. Also, some streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video block common VPN server IP addresses, so you'll have to try different ones to see what the services allow.

TLDR - don't bother unless you're KAC
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote