Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Intel Sapphire Pure Black X58 Motherboard and Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Review @ Rage3D.com

Sapphire makes a comeback to the enthusiast mainboard market with their Pure Black X58 Motherboard, a tri-CrossfireX capable Intel socket 1366 mainboard with SATA 3, USB 3 and Bluetooth. We test out the Pure Black X58's features and check out overclocking prowess using Tuniq's Tower 120 Extreme.

Sapphire Pure Black X58 Motherboard and Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Review @ Rage3D.com
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Aside, for a mobo that calls itself "Pure Black" there sure is a lot of different blues on it...

And how come x58 boards are still commanding high prices?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Frst nice looking board, I know that is not a big deal but with everyone sticking this luxury baords in cases with windows it is a definite consideration.

I am kind of disappointed hwoever to see the new designs still holding on the legacy connections. Please for the love of god lets kill of PS2 ports and PCI slots. Also kill of ATA connections. Also dear lord lets kill Firewire, it is practically dead anyway so kill it from new boards.

I like the double spacing of the PCIE slots.

Overall looks solid.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
Frst nice looking board, I know that is not a big deal but with everyone sticking this luxury baords in cases with windows it is a definite consideration.

I am kind of disappointed hwoever to see the new designs still holding on the legacy connections. Please for the love of god lets kill of PS2 ports and PCI slots. Also kill of ATA connections. Also dear lord lets kill Firewire, it is practically dead anyway so kill it from new boards.

Overall looks solid.
I'm with you on the ATA connections and, to a lesser extent, PCI - but, as the article mentions, PS/2 ports remain the preference of competitive gamers & extreme overclockers. Also, I doubt I'm the only one dependent on firewire for vidcam connectivity. Granted, mine is a couple years old now, and perhaps most are using HDMI now for transferring data to the user's computer.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:21 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post

Overall looks solid.
As I stated in the review, PS/2 is a concession to overclockers and purist gamers. The 'championship' overclocker set use PS/2 keyboards so they can disable USB. Interrupt driven input (vs. polled USB) is more responsive with a high quality PS/2 keyboard, something competitive gamers desire.

I'm glad the board had an IDE connection otherwise I couldn't use my optical drive - DVD drives are quite long lasting, so I would prefer not to throw out a perfectly good drive with all the features I want, even if it is only $20 to replace it.

Firewire is useful for digital video cameras, but becoming less so. I think USB 3 will replace it, or Firewire 800/1200 will become more prevalent.

edit - ha! lupsniped!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:24 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
And how come x58 boards are still commanding high prices?
The basic fundamentals are expensive - dual triple channel memory traces, plus 36 PCI-E 2.0 lanes and 6 PCI-E v1 lanes is a lot of layers; plus all the cpu and memory power phases and VRM's.

X58 boards are intrinsically expensive because of the basic platform requirements, plus it's expected to perform well so it has high stability and regulation requirements compared to say P55.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I think USB 3 will replace it, or Firewire 800/1200 will become more prevalent.

edit - ha! lupsniped!

USB3 is the probable replacement, but I'd suppose that it will be at least a couple years before we see widespread implementation at the device level - which limits it as a current option for killing off legacy connectivity options.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
The basic fundamentals are expensive - dual triple channel memory traces, plus 36 PCI-E 2.0 lanes and 6 PCI-E v1 lanes is a lot of layers; plus all the cpu and memory power phases and VRM's.

X58 boards are intrinsically expensive because of the basic platform requirements, plus it's expected to perform well so it has high stability and regulation requirements compared to say P55.
It's a dead-end though, with everyone going Sandy-Bridge and all...

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:42 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It's a dead-end though, with everyone going Sandy-Bridge and all...
I think Intel are moving the mainstream / enthusiast cutover point, in terms of price/features. People who were happy with X58/i7 900 series and are now happy with P67/Core 2000's will stick with the <~$300 price point for CPU or a mobo. Those not happy will go for X68 and the new socket, but will have to buy the $300+ mobo's with $400 and up CPU's.

Intel look to be adjusting how much the P-series covers in terms of price spread, giving it some more pricing headroom for CPU's and boards.

X58 isn't quite dead, there are still some advantages (PCI-E lanes, memory bandwidth, six working SATA ports) but it's on it's way out. Sapphire Pure Black X58 is a technical exercise, get into as many markets, get the brand profile increased.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:39 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Sapphire now have the manual and CPU support list online for download. Supported CPU's are:

Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5620
Intel® Xeon® Processor L5530
Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:20 PM   #11
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Sapphire now have the manual and CPU support list online for download. Supported CPU's are:

Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition
Intel® Xeon® Processor L5530
Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680
Looks like they skipped a few. Where's the 940, 950, and 960? Pretty sure they'd have to work too if the others are listed. Wonder why they were left out?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:57 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Probably the only ones they have tested and validated so far, but those should cover the bloomfield and westmere variants for basic compatibility.