Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
spine
Radeon R700

spine is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation FIX for random monitor driver change + possible explanation for Monitor Blow-up

Ok, there are 2 points to this post;

1. How to stop Cat 3.8/3.9 from changing your monitor driver randomly on boot.
2. How this could possibly relate to monitors getting blown-up (assuming this is true)

1. This probably effects more people than most realise. The symptoms are this;

On booting/restarting Windows XP, I would find that my monitor driver will be changed from what it should be (Sony E400P) to 'default monitor'. If I select 'scan for hardware changes' in the device manager, it'll then re-install the correct driver. However, this is not just annoying for the fickle, but actually causes problems;

a) For a start it'll often cause my refresh override option to not be enacted and I will be forced into 60hz, despite 85hz being specified in the monitor display tab.
b) Even after I change back the monitor driver to what it should be, sometimes I am still unable to access the refresh override tab to be able to put it to default or 85hz in order for the refresh setting in the monitor tab to have an effect.
c) Having 'default monitor' for the monitor driver instead of the proper one is, I reckon, a potential pre-requisit to having a monitor blow up! (assuming a monitor is susceptable). Now I'm still undecided on that whole 'monitor blow up' debate, but seeing as 3.8 & 3.9 are the drivers that cause this monitor driver alteration thing, and seeing that 3.8 & 3.9 are apparently known to be causing monitor blow-ups, it's not a stretch to presume this is related. I mentioned this in other posts, but no-one seemed to notice/care. Anyway, going off point here...

Ultimately most people probably won't notice this since they're either are;

1. Not affected (explained later),
2. Unaware of the problem,
3. Don't care.

Nethertheless, I've found a solution for this;

Based on what someone told me on this forum about the new Cat drivers performing a scan for monitors on startup, I assumed that the drivers were doing this scan and then, for whatever reason, changing the driver.

So the solution is to basically prevent the system from changing the driver. Here's how;

Find this key in the registry;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

The items in bold may (almost certainly) vary between different machines. The long random number will be amongst many but it'll be the only one that relates to your monitor;

If you suffer the problem as I do, there'll be a whole bunch of other 4 digit long number keys in there (In the screen shot above, I've deleted the unused ones).

So basically, just find the lowest number key that is the correct driver for your monitor and delete the rest (as the screenshot shows).
This will ensure that the correct driver is the only one available to windows to use.

*EDITED*

To absolutely ensure that your monitor driver cannot be changed back, you need to adjust the permissions assigned to the key. You'll need to firstly ensure that they key isn't inherenting it's permissions from the parent key, and then set the permissions for all user types as shown below;

untick "Full Control" and tick "Read" for every user/group. This will ensure that the driver will be denied access to change the driver for your monitor [insert evil manical laughter].

Note: If you deny all access, you might later have to enable it again if you want to change the driver for your monitor.

Having done this, the problem for me has gone away completely.

The reason this occurs is probably because over the past months I've installed many driver sets and often had to re-install the monitor driver at the same time. So gradually, over time, my registry has been filled up with duplicate monitor drivers.

People with a completely fresh install of XP probably won't suffer this problem at all, and since ATI's internal beta testers probably don't actually use the machine they are testing with and probably use fresh installs, they will never suffer this problem.

Since they never suffer this problem, and assuming this can lead to a monitor blow-up, it's no surprise that (as far as we know) ATI have been unable to re-create the 'monitor blow-up' problem.

My advice to ATI, setup XP to use 'default monitor' and then try blowing the monitor with the model of monitors that have been reported to blow up (NEC and View Sonic, not exactly sure on the model numbers).

Anyway, hope that helps some people out...

P.S. NO! I am NOT saying this IS the cause for monitor's reportedly being blown-up, I'm just saying it maybe a contributing factor, so please don't flame me in this thread if you are a firm non-believer of that problem. Thanks
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Sapphire X800XL 466/567 (volt modded) with modified InnovaGraph-O-Matik Water Block
2xRAID-0 Array with Maxtor 160gb Disks
Windows XP Professional SP2

Last edited by spine : Nov 10, 2003 at 04:53 PM.
spine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Draco [BDS]
Radeon Evergreen

Draco [BDS] is still being judged by the masses

Actually a much easier way to fix this issue is to simply disable the DDC Monitor Detection. What you have described is a classic symptom of not having the monitor powered up during windows boot-up. If Windows does not detect a monitor during boot-up it will install the "default monitor" driver and reset your refresh rates to 60hz (and the Override option wont work). By disabling DDC it wont try to detect a monitor and just assume it is there. This can cause problems if you switch to a display not capable of the refresh/resolution of your current display so its something to keep in mind when switching monitors.

There is no way that this is the cause of "Monitor Blow-ups". Reducing refresh rates has the complete opposite effect. "Monitor Blow-ups" are generally caused by the refresh rate or resolution being too high for the monitor to handle (even then most, if not all modern day monitors will simply turn themselves off). In fact if you had 2 identical monitors and only ran one in 60hz and the other in 85hz, theoretically the one running at 60hz will last longer.
2GB OCZ XTC PC2-8500 RAM
750GB WD SATAII 16MB Cache
120GB WD SATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203B
Antec Trupower 450w PSU
Draco [BDS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:06 PM   #3
spine
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by Draco [BDS]
Actually a much easier way to fix this issue is to simply disable the DDC Monitor Detection. What you have described is a classic symptom of not having the monitor powered up during windows boot-up. If Windows does not detect a monitor during boot-up it will install the "default monitor" driver and reset your refresh rates to 60hz (and the Override option wont work). By disabling DDC it wont try to detect a monitor and just assume it is there. This can cause problems if you switch to a display not capable of the refresh/resolution of your current display so its something to keep in mind when switching monitors.

There is no way that this is the cause of "Monitor Blow-ups". Reducing refresh rates has the complete opposite effect. "Monitor Blow-ups" are generally caused by the refresh rate or resolution being too high for the monitor to handle (even then most, if not all modern day monitors will simply turn themselves off). In fact if you had 2 identical monitors and only ran one in 60hz and the other in 85hz, theoretically the one running at 60hz will last longer.
In my case I had DDC disabled and my monitor is ALWAYS powered on as I boot up. So that's not the problem. Also, this problem ONLY occurred with Cat 3.8 and Cat 3.9

As for causing monitors to blow, I don't know for sure, but I'd say it would be related to advanced timing modes that the monitors use. If a monitor uses some non-standard system (and ultimately a system that differs to that specified in the 'default monitor' driver, then it'd be getting sent incompatible signals.

The fact is, however, that none of us know for sure. You'd have to speak to the makers of the monitors that are affected to find out more.

The 2nd point of this thread is that I reckon in ALL the cases where monitors have died, the monitor had been reverted back to 'default monitor' prior to it's death (without the user knowing). Since this 'default monitor' doesn't always occur and since not all users have the affected monitors, it explains why there appear to be so few people reporting the problem (also add in those who are unaware of this site and also those who only assume it's the monitor that's at fault and don't look elswhere for explanations.

I'm not laying blame here, but this could be a vital part of the monitor blow-up problem.
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Sapphire X800XL 466/567 (volt modded) with modified InnovaGraph-O-Matik Water Block
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Draco [BDS]
Radeon Evergreen

Everything about the default monitor settings promotes compatability versus performance. All "timings" in the default driver would be scaled back to allow basically any monitor to run on it. Using the "Default Monitor" driver will never have negative effects on a monitor. Its kinda like running your RAM timings at 2-2-2-2 (monitor installed correctly) or at something ridiculously slow like 6-6-6-6 (default monitor). Running your super-fast RAM at really slow timings will not cause any harm.
2GB OCZ XTC PC2-8500 RAM
120GB WD SATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203B
Antec Trupower 450w PSU
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:02 PM   #5
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Those extra monitors are installed by windows when it detects the new cards and monitors attached, does the same thing on Nvidia cards if you install lots of drivers over the top of each other etc

Windows is also the one that forgets which monitor is which (for some resason)
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:07 PM   #6
spine
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by Draco [BDS]
Everything about the default monitor settings promotes compatability versus performance. All "timings" in the default driver would be scaled back to allow basically any monitor to run on it. Using the "Default Monitor" driver will never have negative effects on a monitor. Its kinda like running your RAM timings at 2-2-2-2 (monitor installed correctly) or at something ridiculously slow like 6-6-6-6 (default monitor). Running your super-fast RAM at really slow timings will not cause any harm.
You assume that (and I too would otherwise assume the same) but (no offence) you don't know for sure. A driver, whether defined as 'default' by Microsoft or not, is still a driver controlling how the monitor signals are dealt with.

I mean, thinking about it, if a monitor blows up aren't these the first 3 things you'd consider?;

1. Monitor hardware failure caused by itself being cWap.
2. Monitor driver has done it in.
3. Display driver has done it in.

If this 'default monitor' thing is the cause, then it's a combination of 2 and 3.

I just hope ATI sees this and takes it into consideration. After all, if true, they could then say it's not directly their fault, but that of the OS (even if crappy drivers force users to have to constantly play with monitor drivers resulting in this problem).
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:12 PM   #7
spine
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by spyre
Those extra monitors are installed by windows when it detects the new cards and monitors attached, does the same thing on Nvidia cards if you install lots of drivers over the top of each other etc

Windows is also the one that forgets which monitor is which (for some resason)
Agreed, so potentially nvidia cards could end up with blown up monitors (of the variety that have been known to die). I suspect nvidia drivers tend not to get this problem due the different way they deal with multi monitor support. ATI's drivers insist on telling/fooling the OS into thinking there are two physical display adapters installed. Nvidia's drivers (AFAIK) just tell the OS to have the one adapter installed.
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:16 PM   #8
Draco [BDS]
Radeon Evergreen

I dont think that scenario is plausible at all (no offence spine). I am willing to bet that the majority of computer users out there are using the "default monitor" driver. Especially if you consider that the default driver is equivalent to using the "Plug and Play Monitor" driver (which I bet over 90% of people use) at 60hz. Its kind of like having a monitor that is able to display a resolution of 1600x1200 but only running it in 800x600. If the default monitor driver was causing problems it would be a very widely known one as monitors would be dropping all over the place.
2GB OCZ XTC PC2-8500 RAM
120GB WD SATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203B
Antec Trupower 450w PSU
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:23 PM   #9
spine
Radeon R700

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'plug and play' driver is quite different from 'default monitor'. Not all monitors are plug and play meaning that the OS can't read information from them. I'd imagine the 'plug and play' driver reads this info and adjusts accordingly, whereas the 'default monitor' is a conservative 'real' driver that dictates all the settings it provides (reads nothing from the monitor).

If 'plug and play' were XP's default driver to install, I doubt we'd see any probs.

Anyway, I truly don't know, but that's my best guess.

I also doubt that those who've had a monitor die, would be able to tell us what driver they had installed on the occasion when it died...
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:34 PM   #10
Draco [BDS]
Radeon Evergreen

I was referring to the fact that the Plug and Play driver would use the same timings as found in the Default Driver. I dont believe the advanced timings can be detected through DDC. The only thing that DDC detects is the maximum refresh rate and resolution capabilities of a monitor and any other timings (which are?) are left up to the driver (and I believe they are probably all standardized). The only difference between the Default and Plug and Play drivers is that the Default wont let you change the refresh rate at all whereas the Plug and Play one will.
2GB OCZ XTC PC2-8500 RAM
120GB WD SATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203B
Antec Trupower 450w PSU
Old Nov 10, 2003, 04:53 PM   #11
spine
Radeon R700

*Edited original post to include permission locking*
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Old Nov 11, 2003, 07:23 AM   #12
ChronoXP

ChronoXP is still being judged by the masses

Hi,

I've been suffering from this Default Monitor problem, however, I'd just like to point out:

1. this happened with Cat 3.7 too (for me at least)
2. this happens with a clean install of WinXP!!!

Disabling DDC in the ATI control panel 'seems' to have fixed this quirky behaviour, thankfully, as it was an annoyance having to remove the Default Monitor entry in Device Manager and reboot several times a day

Annoyance
ChronoXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 07:59 AM   #13
nomad 128
Gamer for Life

nomad 128 is still being judged by the masses

OMFG! The monitors are Blowing up now? Before they just burned out. I'll be sure to wear safety goggles from now on to protect myself from the flying shrapnel.
Adaptec 29160N_Seagate SCSI X15 Cheetah's 15K RPM 36LP 18.4GB, 2x 15K RPM 36LP 36.7GB, Cheetah 10K RPM 73LP 73.4GB
Iomega SCSI internal ZIP 100MB, internal JAZ 1GB_Toshiba SCSI DVD 10X
Cooler Master ATC-111C-SX2_A+GPB 500 watt
Ortek MCK-142 Pro_Logitech TrackMan Wheel_FrontX port extender
Logitech MOMO Force_ThrustMaster Freestyler Bike PC_Belkin Nostromo N50 SpeedPad
CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, Fighterstick USB, Pro Pedals USB_Gravis Xterminator Force
Windows ME/2KPro dual-boot
nomad 128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 08:01 AM   #14
Pe-Te
WoW Addict

Pe-Te is still being judged by the masses

So now its the DEFAULT monitor driver blowing up monitors... Uuuh, i dont think so [ or then you have a monitor type that doesnt support lowest default VESA resolutions and refreshrates ].

With this rate in couple weeks someone is blaming mouse driver for the few monitors that happened to break down during the month hundreds of thousands PC's used 3.8's.

Pe-Te
Pe-Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:22 AM   #15
spine
Radeon R700

The last 2 posters here have obviously just skim read this thread and missed it's point.

As I even said in my first post, I'm not saying having 'default monitor' is the cause, just that it may be; or may be a contributing factor. I only see the connection since this bug has risen in the later cat releases, and it's the later cat release that have reportedly caused monitor deaths. And when I say 'blow-up' I simply refer to the death of monitors that have been reported. I believe it was amongst those posts that the phrase emerged.

ChronoXP;

Nice to see I'm not alone with this! And yeah, I was only guessing a fresh install would be free from the bug, but obviously not as you point out. I myself did notice the problem with Cat 3.7, but that was ONLY after I had installed and then uninstalled cat 3.8, so I can't say whether or not it was there originally...
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:04 AM   #16
ChronoXP

ChronoXP is still being judged by the masses

ChronoXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:14 AM   #17
Boke
Near Dark

Boke is still being judged by the masses

Pe-Te

"Uuuh, i dont think so [ or then you have a monitor type that doesnt support lowest default VESA resolutions and refreshrates ]."

The problem is the Cat 3.8 drivers are not setting the lowest resolution & refresh rates on a new install on some systems.

On my system, with a fresh install of WinXP, they set the res to 1280x1024 @ 85Hz.

This is not the lowest VESA mode by any stretch of the imagination.

Who knows what res/refresh rate the drivers are trying to while my monitor is clicking away when changing modes.

With any other driver ( including the 3.9 driver ) there is only one click when changing modes. There is a problem with the 3.8s on some systems.
Boke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:49 AM   #18
HighlandeR
Radeon R300

HighlandeR is still being judged by the masses

Well your not alone either, even after I disable that DDC in the monitor settings, if I reboot here and there it will just pop back up with default monitor.

Im sure your cure works I just get a headache looking at it, so will see if ATI are gonna fix this bug or not....

So far ive had my 9800pro for 3 weeks but its clear Nvidia Driver wise are still superior in alot of ways sadly. Plenty ATI need to do to fix these petty problems.
HighlandeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:01 AM   #19
Pe-Te
WoW Addict

Pe-Te is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Boke
On my system, with a fresh install of WinXP, they set the res to 1280x1024 @ 85Hz.

This is not the lowest VESA mode by any stretch of the imagination.
Thats XP doing what its supposed to... getting info from DCC that your monitor can handle it and changing the resolution [ it does ask for the first time if you want it to automatically use the higher resolution after you install XP ].

This is not only ATI problem.. i was looking through NVnews.net forums NVidia driver release and one guy there reported that installing the latest NVidia driver caused him to have his REAL monitor + 3 Default monitors.

So, guess where i would start pointing right about now ?

Pe-Te
Pe-Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:20 AM   #20
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Actually thats not accurate

If you install the 3.2 drivers the default res when rebooting is 800 x 600

Later drivers it defaults to 1024 x 768 and some people have reported it setting it higher

It just uses standard 60Hz for me though
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:38 PM   #21
HighlandeR
Radeon R300

HighlandeR is still being judged by the masses

Well found out why default monitor keeps popping up in my case.....

Its cos I enable TV output, when I enable it a default monitor pops up. So I formated
and have my Samsung monitor and also default monitor there, and ive applied refresh rate fixes
to both monitors that way I can play @ 100fps+

Maybe thats Atis problem with the default monitor problem? maybe its linked to the TV detection/multiple displays.... must be some bug thats been there for sometime.

Oh well sorted half what, or /not bothered as long as it works
HighlandeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 02:09 AM   #22
Borg
Radeon R300

Borg is still being judged by the masses

I have good news for you all:

I have cat 3.4 installed, and have EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!

Upon booting, in 1 of 30 cases, my monitor is starting in 94 (or other random) Hz, instead of the 85Hz, for 1280x1024.
(A restart always solves this problem...)

I have also 6 monitor keys, under that CLASS in the registry shown at the beginning of this topic, because i always had to reinstall the monitor INF, every time i updated catalysts.

So, i think iam logical, if suggest, that this problem is NOT CAUSED BY A CATALYST RELEASE. I think my problems started after a windows update for my XP. I can not tell wich, but at the first occurring, i only had refreshed my windows, via WU, but not my catalyst!

So what should i do?
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:44 AM   #23
spine
Radeon R700

I never had this problem with my Geforce2 GTS, Voodoo3, or my Matrox Mystique (Yes all on XP).

So it's a driver issue. Whether or not it's exclusive to just the new Cat suites or not, it's still a driver issue....
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:53 AM   #24
Borg
Radeon R300

Borg is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by spine
I never had this problem with my Geforce2 GTS, Voodoo3, or my Matrox Mystique (Yes all on XP).

So it's a driver issue. Whether or not it's exclusive to just the new Cat suites or not, it's still a driver issue....
Maybe, but caused by an incompatiblity between the calatlyst AND a new windows update...
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:18 PM   #25
spine
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by Borg
Maybe, but caused by an incompatiblity between the calatlyst AND a new windows update...

I've had my Matrox in my comp only recently, and I did not get the problem. It's definitely a driver issue, I can't believe we're even debating this...

And also, my fix doesn't appear to work. My monitor *STILL* switches driver. Only with the default monitor driver disabled via permissions in the registry, it now reverts back to simply 'monitor'. I'm still working on trying to make a fool proof work around, but it seems the driver just works around my work arounds.

Pathetic.

The drivers are clearly doing some kind of monitor detection of some sort and it's fouling up causing the monitor driver to change.
DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D