Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 10, 2021, 07:10 AM   #1051
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I can't believe people rave over a crusty ass technology like CRT. It's ancient, massive, heavy, out of date, inefficient.. there's so many words to describe CRTs and not many are positive words
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 09:38 AM   #1052
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I can't believe people rave over a crusty ass technology like CRT. It's ancient, massive, heavy, out of date, inefficient.. there's so many words to describe CRTs and not many are positive words
Nostalgic.

I think retro games look great on them personally, as CRT was what they're designed for. But I wouldn't use them for modern games.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:30 PM   #1053
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old, outdated, CRTs still beat modern sample-and-hold flat panel displays for motion resolution, which is something gamers ought to appreciate. Just because a technology is newer doesn't mean it is necessarily better in every way. OLED and similar emissive display technologies have the potential to surpass CRT for motion resolution if the drive circuitry is refined... LCD probably not.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 10, 2021, 03:44 PM   #1054
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

OLED surpasses CRT in literally every single aspect. Motion resolution? I'm not sure if you guys have used 144Hz monitors but it's as good as any CRT from back in the day. If the CRT is better it's marginal and the other cons very quickly put it back into the "why?" category.

The advantages that CRT had over LCD are all gone with OLED. I'd say the 1ms high refresh rate IPS panels that have been around for years now already crush CRTs .. but OLED has really put CRTs to bed.

I get it for retro use though.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Mar 10, 2021, 03:56 PM   #1055
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeah for modern gaming even if there are slight technical advantages to CRT, its still just too impractical compared to just using a modern display. Far more pros that outweigh the cons with modern tech.

Maybe for just the novelty of it, like what they showed in that Digital Foundry video from few months back. But for daily use no way.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 04:39 PM   #1056
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Anyone know some type of beneficial ritual to obtain the favor of the non-defective hardware gods?
My fourth replacement screen *should* be arriving tomorrow. At this point I'm not even sure I'm looking forward to opening the box

Last edited by Lurk : Mar 10, 2021 at 05:57 PM.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 05:24 PM   #1057
Higgy10
Radeon Arctic Islands

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

i really miss lugging around the old 21" crt when i took it anywhere
crt's had a built in anti-theft system
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 05:31 PM   #1058
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
i really miss lugging around the old 21" crt when i took it anywhere
crt's had a built in anti-theft system
I loved lugging my pair of 21" Trinitrons so much that I left them behind (along with most of my furniture) when I moved to the coast. But when they sat on my big old desk in dual screen mode, they were a sight to behold for almost a decade... running 120Hz well before any LCD could, and there were losses moving to my 32" 1440p LCD, but some gains as well.

IMO, more people should watch those DF Retro videos and see what good CRTs are all about. They are not the solution for everyone, but they still do have some advantages over current flat panels. I've never really liked LCD for anything moving, but plasma was good, as are many of the OLED displays. Viewing angles are another area where LCD just can't compete.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:11 PM   #1059
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
Anyone know some type of beneficial ritual to obtain the favor of the non-defective hardware gods?
My fourth replacement screen *should* be arriving tomorrow. At this point I'm not even sure I'm looking forward to opening the box

I don't want to fuel your situation but this reviewer sample came with 3 lines in the middle of the screen.

Old Mar 11, 2021, 02:34 AM   #1060
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Oh ... This is intersting for me

10bit 1.07b colors 1080p 240 hz and 360$ price ...

84% DCI-p3 coverage and 107% sRgb

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MA.../Specification

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 11, 2021 at 02:41 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 03:29 AM   #1061
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post

I don't want to fuel your situation but this reviewer sample came with 3 lines in the middle of the screen.
At this point I'm prepared for pretty much anything

p.s. video doesn't show
Old Mar 11, 2021, 04:01 AM   #1062
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
At this point I'm prepared for pretty much anything

p.s. video doesn't show
Is this working for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmKI...ture=emb_title
Old Mar 11, 2021, 03:53 PM   #1063
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Got it, thanks, I copied the text from the yt embed code.
I didn't get the part about the three lines across the screen, though.
Monitor arrived. Afraid to open it.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:36 AM   #1064
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Got it, thanks, I copied the text from the yt embed code.
I didn't get the part about the three lines across the screen, though.
Monitor arrived. Afraid to open it.

At minute 4.28 he is talking about the lines in the center of the screen.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 05:09 AM   #1065
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewt...5cbb5&start=50

The admin of the highly specialized monitor/tv's forum Blur Busters posted this.Intersting.
Quote:
OLED has that attribute. That said, OLED also has problems with panel lottery effects that ceates non-uniform banding effects that has thousands of complaints on Google.

I have visited enough conventions, production displays, and prototype displays that the venn diagram of OLED and multithousand-count high-end FALD LCD, overlaps. (local dimming backlights that uses several thousands LEDs). Also I've seen those Pansonic/HiSense "Dual Cell" double-layer LCDs that are defacto million-pixel FALD. I have seen local-dimmed FALD that is superior to OLED in many aspects, including one FALD LCD that had banding-free. I have also seen some LCDs that had better color gamut than some OLEDs. There are pros/cons of each respective tech.

I do not expect OLED/MicroLED to completely replace LCD until past the 2030s, I daresay the 2040s. OLED/MicroLED will slowly become more and more popular, but LCD has enough technological improvement. Today's bottom barrel $500 LCD gaming monitors are not representative of the best-color multithousand-dollar LCD displays *and* OLED displays I've seen.

Some niggly elements such as the Talbot-Plateau law is less of a barrier with LCD (outsourced light) than OLED (tiny pixels). The Talbot-Plateau theorem is the reason why the 10,000 nit display that I saw, is an LCD display, not an OLED display. That's also delicious nit headroom that could keep strobed HDR (e.g. 1000 nits at 1/10th persistence).

Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:26 AM   #1066
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
At minute 4.28 he is talking about the lines in the center of the screen.
27” flat monitor with those three lines across the screen?!? Dude, cm'on! Insta return!!!

And what's with this thing anyway?!?
Buying a 450€ monitor with a flawed screen and disregarding it with ‘I hope it goes away'?!?
Jesus Christ, this might very well be one of the reasons why QA is going down the drain and idiots like myself have to return items like there is no tomorrow. Drives me crazy. That is one reviewer I don't want any advice from!

Oh, and for the record, this is what my last brand new 570€ monitor display looked like straight out of the box. Third one since november

Last edited by Lurk : Mar 12, 2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:08 AM   #1067
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
27” flat monitor with those three lines across the screen?!? Dude, cm'on! Insta return!!!

And what's with this thing anyway?!?
Buying a 450€ monitor with a flawed screen and disregarding it with ‘I hope it goes away'?!?
Jesus Christ, this might very well be one of the reasons why QA is going down the drain and idiots like myself have to return items like there is no tomorrow. Drives me crazy. That is one reviewer I don't want any advice from!

Oh, and for the record, this is what my last brand new 570€ monitor display looked like straight out of the box. Third one since november

That sucks with dead pixel.That is why i am afraid of buying gaming monitors.
Those are horizontal lines kinda don't feel normal.I haven't seen something like that.
The guy in the video but he pointed fingers to LG in the most nicest way possible for all sorts of stuff.I think you have to get his style.I actually like his reviews very much.

Anyway earlier this day i ordered an MSI Mag251RX.They said 7 days delivery.That monitor is very good on paper and i read is the best in terms in image quality.I bite.Also is kinda premium for a 1080p monitor. 370 euros.I haven't returned the Benq yet.I wait the MSI one to see the state of QC.
If it will have all sorts of artifacts, uniformity issues and stuff i will keep the Benq.I will trade the lag for all this QC mess in the gaming monitor industry.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:08 AM   #1068
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Man, you have the worst luck I've ever seen with monitors. That really really sucks.

I'd do the exact same thing as you, return every one of them. That's a lot of money for a display, and it should have no issues.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard

Last edited by OverclockN' : Mar 12, 2021 at 11:31 AM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:16 AM   #1069
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Have to admit as well, You can have the dead pixel policy nonsense. At this point there should be no dead pixels on screens. My first X900H had 3, but thanks to a bad HDMI port I got a replacement with none.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 01:47 PM   #1070
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

The fourth monitor is sitting in its box in front of me. A strip of Amazon branded tape covers an accidental tear in the box near the bottom. I'm crapping my pants only at the idea of opening the goddamn thing.
Truth is, I've lost any enthusiasm in unpacking.

Oh, and just to make it clear: it's NOT dead pixels, rather some kind of stuck particle, as proven by a simple yet efficient parallax test I have done and which I won't annoy you with.

Thx for your moral support everyone
In a world of crap, small farts still smell bad
Old Mar 12, 2021, 02:30 PM   #1071
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
The fourth monitor is sitting in its box in front of me. A strip of Amazon branded tape covers an accidental tear in the box near the bottom. I'm crapping my pants only at the idea of opening the goddamn thing.
Truth is, I've lost any enthusiasm in unpacking.

Oh, and just to make it clear: it's NOT dead pixels, rather some kind of stuck particle, as proven by a simple yet efficient parallax test I have done and which I won't annoy you with.

Thx for your moral support everyone

Confront your fears and unpack it ... I want to know how the 4th monitor looks like
Old Mar 13, 2021, 04:59 AM   #1072
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

What make of monitor is it? Come on Lurk get it unpacked and plug it in you know you really want to do that right?? I'm guessing 5th time lucky.

Not trying to rub it in but I'm thoroughly enjoying my iiyama G-Master it's great for everyday use and awesome for gaming.

Good luck bro let us know how it works out.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2021, 05:21 AM   #1073
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

It's a Gigabyte G34WQC, praised by both rtings and hardware unboxed as one of the best in the mid-range category.
Except for the f***ing black spot, the one I returned was excellent. Good calibration out of the box (subjectively, of course), minimal black smearing and ghosting (compared to the two AOC I returned before, those had abysmal panel quality and terrible smearing, the first one had dark bands all across the screen), great clarity and uniformity, perfect ppi at a sweet 109.68.
Sure HDR400 is not true HDR, but RDR2, Doom Eternal, No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk looked pretty damn good to me with HDR on.
Box is still locked and loaded, will probably unpack sunday afternoon. Not expecting much, I've been burnt one time too many
Old Mar 13, 2021, 06:52 AM   #1074
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Sig worthy! +rep

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:44 AM   #1075
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

I'm still staring at the box.
This time around, I'm sensing something big.
Perhaps a cracked panel, that way I wouldn't have to waste time setting up and connecting the thing again.

Yeah, definitely hoping for cracked panel, that would be ideal; hassle-free immediate return
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:38 PM   #1076
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I'm still staring at the box.
This time around, I'm sensing something big.
Perhaps a cracked panel, that way I wouldn't have to waste time setting up and connecting the thing again.

Yeah, definitely hoping for cracked panel, that would be ideal; hassle-free immediate return
Is there a way for you to actually buy what you want from a physical shop to see the panel before buying ? A computer or a multimedia shop.I know that Italy was hit hard with pandemic so the trips may be limited.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 02:31 PM   #1077
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Yeah, we've been hit pretty hard.
Physical shops have been wiped out from existence.
Also thanks to the same people who keep delivering me faulty monitors.
Sam Porter Bridges, come save me pls.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 04:22 PM   #1078
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yeah, we've been hit pretty hard.
Physical shops have been wiped out from existence.
Also thanks to the same people who keep delivering me faulty monitors.
Sam Porter Bridges, come save me pls.

I am very curious what you will do if this faulty monitor episode don't stop for some reason.I have the Benq graphic monitor as a backup if the MSI will have too many issues.In 7 days i am joining the gaming monitor mess too.
I gave the old Eizo to someone.I got some money on it too unexpectedly.There is no turning back to it anyway.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 13, 2021 at 04:35 PM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2021, 05:37 PM   #1079
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

guys, what would you do?
It's not dead pixels, because its position shifts relative to any object placed nearby on the desktop if I move my head around, and it's less visible when looking at the screen standing up from above. It becomes very noticeable when sitting in front of the monitor.
How is it possible that this is only happening to me?
And again, would you keep the monitor?
I really don't know what to think or say at this point: same side of the screen, only this time further up toward the right corner.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 06:12 PM   #1080
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Dude I've never seen anyone as unlucky as you. Return it, obviously, and I would order from a different website or find a storefront.

You've hit the negative jackpot. I don't know what to tell you man sucks though..