Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Oct 25, 2000, 10:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirXcalibur
Admin in Shining Armour

SirXcalibur is still being judged by the masses

Hey everyone!

Just thought I would ask what you guys think of the moderation in the forum. Should we be more heavy handed on the trolls and people who are very rude? OR should we let things go more?
Personally I think the forum is goes well and there have been only a few problem people. Do you think we are dealing with them OK, or should things change?
My concern is that in topics where there is a valid question, suggestions sometimes get lost in some of the more "emotional" posts. Yes those posts may contain some helpful info but them may also really hurt someones feelings. Some are blatent harrasment.

Also, due to the heavy traffic in this forum I do not have time to look at all the topics. Thus if you have posted a topic and it is being overrun by hooligans, then let me know via e-mail and I will delete the offening posts, because as far as I am concerned whoever creates the topic can have whatever they want removed from it.

Please comment freely on any of this.

Luke "SirXcalibur" Bellamy
Old Oct 25, 2000, 12:22 PM   #2
BigBear
Radeon R520

BigBear is still being judged by the masses

Depends on what you mean by a "troll" SirX. I think folks who have negative experiences or thoughtfully rendered negative opinions should be allowed to voice and discuss those opinions -- personally, though, I tend to leave forums that turn into flamefests and obscenity-laden soapboxes. Haven't seen a lot of that here, but if it were me, the offending party gets a single warning, and second offense gets banned. Broad tolerance for wide variety of opinion -- but strict and uniform enforcement of standards of civility.

My $0.02.

Old Oct 25, 2000, 12:32 PM   #3
JohnM
Harley Racer

JohnM is still being judged by the masses

I'm curious, why don't you require a poster to be registered like most forums do??

I've noticed all the most obnoxious trolls are all "unregistered"

------------------
[email protected]
JohnM
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 25, 2000, 01:03 PM   #4
Yozzer

Yozzer is still being judged by the masses

Hi,
I have only recently joined this forum, but I did "lurk" for a week or so reading and deciding whether or not to get a Radeon, and can honestly say I generally found a good balance of opinion. I would agree with BigBear, I would welcome opinions that are given in a reasonable way, without flaming just for the sake of it, its by discussion over differences of opinion that very often information flows. Its also true that this forum will no doubt be read by ATI reps, (at least I would hope so), and by members stating their concerns in a reasonable way its far more likely to be taken to heart than loads of @!** all over the place.
Keep up the good work....Yozzer

------------------
P3 [email protected], Radeon 64mb vivo, 256mb, Abit BE6-2 m/b, 19" Gateway2000 Mon.
S/B Live 1024, WinME, IBM 20gig 7200rev H'disk
Old Oct 25, 2000, 04:06 PM   #5
Daggah
Radeon R420

Daggah is still being judged by the masses

I think most people can tell whether a negative opinion is truly a negative opinion, or just a bash, myself.

------------------
Hmm...I never thought I'd choose to buy an ATI card!
Old Oct 25, 2000, 05:20 PM   #6
TheBeagle
AIW Radeon II MAXX

TheBeagle is still being judged by the masses

personally, I have been pleased with the amount of moderation in this forum... there have been multiple pro and con statements made and replies have been above average intelligence in most cases. keep up the good work
Old Oct 25, 2000, 05:27 PM   #7
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

I think the moderation is great. Its good that you let people speak what they want without getting in the way too much.

My only suggestion is to make everyone register. This would really cut down on the flaming, and still allow you to do only light moderation.

------------------
wherever you go, there you are... unless of course, you are somewhere else
Old Oct 25, 2000, 05:58 PM   #8
DD
Radeon R300

DD is still being judged by the masses

I agree about requiring registration. It might cut down on those few posts which are little more than name-calling and slander, the kind of posts that give a forum a bad name.
Old Oct 25, 2000, 07:02 PM   #9
Morpheus
Radeon R200

Morpheus is still being judged by the masses

I don't think requiring ppl to register is going to help THAT much. Besides I'm sure there are ppl out there who don't want to register and my still have a question or two. Besides if there is anyone who is really posting garbage we could always have it taken down It seems we're pretty good at keeping most ppl inline tho. Most of the ppl that post often will step in and remind everyone to be kind! Those are my thoughts!
Old Oct 25, 2000, 08:25 PM   #10
JeffD
Radeon R600

JeffD is still being judged by the masses

Cool

SirXcalibur,

I think you are doing a fine job in moderating this board.

While we've had a few posts get out of hand, it's nothing like some of the other forums I've been on.

A few is fine but if the number increases considerably then this can be tough. I generally try to search around for questions and try to reply. If the forum is filled with countless trolls, bickering, name calling, etc. it beceoms VERY difficult to help people out. Sifting thru all these posts to find that one honest post with an honest question is an effort in frustration.

So my reccomendation is to keep a watchful eye on the forum....if the "troll" volume gets too great...step in. Also, you'll definitely be informed if a tribe of trolls decides to setup camp and lay siege to the forum.

Otherwise, keep up the great work!

Regards,

JeffD
Old Oct 25, 2000, 08:35 PM   #11
RAGE LT MAN
The guy sent to get ya...

RAGE LT MAN is still being judged by the masses

SirX, good idea w/ the post .
Old Oct 26, 2000, 12:53 AM   #12
FreakyG
Radeon R200

FreakyG is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

First of all, I like all the moderators here, and most of the members too. Secondly, I have reached a new level of Zen, when it comes to negative people or Nvidia trolls.

If they say >> "Radeon sucks because it's not near as fast in 16-bit".

I say ok, as I return to playing Star Trek Elite Force at 1280 x 1024 x 32-bit with details high, and smooth gameplay.

If they say >> "ATI's driver history sucks".

I say ok, as I enjoy some of the best Win98 launch performance/stability for any new card ever released, and play most games without any problems, and think to myself....These Win98 drivers are solid FreakyG.

If they say >> "My score in Tom-Dick-or-Harry's benchmark is 50 points higher than yours".

I say ok, my score in Unreal Tournament is climbing it's way up the charts, and boy does that game look purty on this card.

If they say >> "We have a new driver every week to play with".

I say ok, I have a new game every week to play with, and did I mention how purty they look, and how smoove they run?

If they say >> "I don't see you running your mouth about there being a lot more Geforce's sold since we've been out longer, and have a head start, haha".

I say ok, that's true because I'm to busy running from those damn fly things in Heavy Metal FAKK 2.

If they say >> "You don't have as many tweaks for your card yet, so you suck".

I say ok, but I'm too busy tweaking my armor and weapons in Mech Warrior 3, and preparing for the next battle.

If they say >> "Damn dude, all you do is play games with your card, and mention how great they look and smooth they run."

I then respond YEP

Old Oct 26, 2000, 03:00 AM   #13
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the replies folks!

As with SirX, I try to keep up with as many posts as I can, but often can't get to all of them. My email, as with any of the moderators I'm sure, is open to any concerns/comments/suggestions/etc.

Nice to see the forum hoppin... Keep the feedback coming

Old Oct 26, 2000, 04:40 AM   #14
Berkswolf
Radeon R200

Berkswolf is still being judged by the masses

Looks like a good job done to me as well. I am a moderator at www.ninjamicros.com, and we try not to interfere unless there is bad language, or personal abuse. This seems to be much the same here. As the other guys have said, its better to get a balance of opinions, rather than one side of a coin.

------------------
If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor
Old Oct 26, 2000, 06:12 AM   #15
Godfather
Radeon R100

Godfather is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Like I always say: "If it aint broke, don't fix it....."

------------------
AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz, ASUS A7V, GlobalWin FOP38-1, Kingston VC133/128 * 2, WD Ultra2 10kRpm 18.2G, Radeon 64DDR, 3DCool Tornado 1000 w/300w ps, SB Live, Pioneer DVD-303S, Tekram DC390U2W
Old Oct 26, 2000, 07:48 AM   #16
DannyBoy
Radeon R200

DannyBoy is still being judged by the masses

i think that requiring to register won't solve anything, bur it will look strange. some people don't want to register but are in need of help anyway. should they "pay" for help by registering? (i don't think anybody here is selling adresses, don't get me wrong!) this is a great community and unless things change a lot, i'd say: let everybody talk here without a name batch!

------------------
Do I smell cupcakes...