Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:13 PM   #1681
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
What the hell is there to "enjoy"? Watching a bunch of numbers appear on the screen? I fail to see how this is a hobby. I don't understand fishtanks either but at least it's nice to look at
Personally it got me into studying finance and markets. Market cap, liquidity, fungibility, how to read charts and make predictions. Learning about tax code and strategizing.

Bitcoin is ultimately not really that much different than playing in the equities markets; but it's also like playing in the commodities markets. It's like both an equity and a store of value in one, which makes it interesting to me. And the future of decentralized blockchain based apps in the alt-coin market is going to be the next big thing in the world, including the next version of the internet.

And hopefully it'll lead to an early retirement. None of this would have happened for me if I didn't start with those 'numbers on the screen'. I didn't really understand the stock market before this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:15 PM   #1682
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
Nvidia would murder their own sales so badly then. I've bought more cards in the last 3 months than combined ever just for gaming 1987-2020. Let that sink in.
They need to look like they care while still raking in $$ from gamers and miners. Also, the GPU is a compute/machine learning/multi purpose tech. To make it detect all mining algorithms and somehow not mess up people doing data crunching, simulations, etc would be hard. Why would they invest money to create something to lose money with less sales? It's a messed up situation all around.
in the first two bitcoin bubbles hurt AMD before NV cards got as good at mining even if they sold a crap ton of cards to miners
it's bad PR and kills sales after the bubble pops and that one will to

if this Bitcoin bubble last another 4 or 6 more months before millions of Bitcoin go missing again and pops this ponzi scheme again it like last time

AMD will eat NV's market share alive
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:24 PM   #1683
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Why would you do that if there is actual demand for mining? The key is to try to meet demand for both markets.

they never will miners will pay more and just buy more
China does this in huge farms of cards and cheap coal fired power plants

NV could put out 20X what they are doing now and it would just fuel miners more

AMD made a crap ton of 5870's and 5970's and 6870's most went to mining
and then we had a little window before the mining software worked with a new card but if you missed that you were SOL
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:25 PM   #1684
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Why would you do that if there is actual demand for mining? The key is to try to meet demand for both markets.
I agree unfortunately cranking up capacity to meet demand takes a long time and right now the whole supply line is squeezed for a variety of reasons.

For the supply/demand problem we have now, mining is one part of that. Companies know that this source of demand waxes and wanes and has for a while. It makes them leery of spending huge amounts of money to get capacity up to meet the demand when it could literally crater in a matter of months. They don't want to eat their own lunch.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:28 PM   #1685
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
in the first two bitcoin bubbles hurt AMD before NV cards got as good at mining even if they sold a crap ton of cards to miners
it's bad PR and kills sales after the bubble pops and that one will to

if this Bitcoin bubble last another 4 or 6 more months before millions of Bitcoin go missing again and pops this ponzi scheme again it like last time

AMD will eat NV's market share alive
There's no such thing as a 'bitcoin bubble' lol

What there is instead is typical market conditions of a predictive supply reduction system in which market activity happens based on planned scarcity and liquidity. You'll have bull runs, then bears, then reccumulations until the next planned halving every 4 years which increases scarcity and starts another bull run.

You want an example of real 'bubbles'? Real bubbles are caused by inflation every time the Federal Reserve prints and injects trillions into a stagnant economy and uses quantitative easing to try to spark economic activity, but the result often is inflation if the economy doesn't outgrow the pace of the increase of the money supply.

That's what causes real bubbles. What bitcoin experiences is much different and is in fact actually a hedge against inflation.

edit: oh and if bitcoin is a ponzi scheme, then so is the entire equities market that our economy is based on. They operate on the exact same market principles, the only real difference is that btc is not centrally controlled & regulated

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 01:05 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:28 PM   #1686
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
More often than not it's the noobs who over-spend to a large degree on equipment. Veterans aren't going to pay $1000 for a 5700xt to mine with. They know better. On my first go around, I overspent on my vegas.

Getting a small rig together now, I'm still spending more than I would like, but not going to do what I did last time. This time I'm going as cheap and budget as possible, and that may mean waiting on backorder for items like 5600xt GPUs.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:38 PM   #1687
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It
Quote:

China does this in huge farms of cards and cheap coal fired power plants

NV could put out 20X what they are doing now and it would just fuel miners more

AMD made a crap ton of 5870's and 5970's and 6870's most went to mining
and then we had a little window before the mining software worked with a new card but if you missed that you were SOL

It's really tough to gauge the miner market due how erratic and volatile it is. However, its potential sales and revenue -- would be foolish to ignore it.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:42 PM   #1688
curio
𐐒ananaD

It's not actually volatile nor unpredictable if you dudes understood how the bitcoin market works. It's following basically the same path as every other previous cycle.

edit: Pro tip for my homies here: bitcoin bull run will probably last until sometime at the end of this year. That doesn't make it a 'bubble' but merely a natural part of the cycle in markets which follow a predictive & planned reduction of supply over time. Next year will suck for bitcoin and it will most likely drop back down to the mean. The couple years after that will be more or less stagnant, depending on institutionalization, until the next halving in Q1 2024. 2025 will be hot.

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:56 PM   #1689
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Tell that to Nvidia when their shares dropped from nearly $300 to nearly $100 by misreading the miner market when it collapsed.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:00 PM   #1690
curio
𐐒ananaD

If they misread it then they didn't know what they were reading. Again, it's been following the same cycle since inception in 2009 and we're already in the fourth cycle. They literally could have look at the previous three cycles and seen when the runs will happen again next since the supply is reduced on a planned and predictive cycle.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:05 PM   #1691
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
It's not actually volatile nor unpredictable...
1 bitcoin is 48 thousand Euro right now. In June 2018, the last big bubble it was about 14 thousand Euro. It's closing in on being 5x bigger than 2018. I admire your passion on bitcoin, but I think I'm going to respectively disagree.

This is not a ''cycle''. It's a burst. Probably in response to covid.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:07 PM   #1692
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
1 bitcoin is 48 thousand Euro right now. In June 2018, the last big bubble it was about 14 thousand Euro. It's closing in on being 5x bigger than 2018. I admire your passion on bitcoin, but I think I'm going to respectively disagree.

This is not a ''cycle''. It's a burst. Probably in response to covid.
Every bull run ends. The difference here is that I can tell you when the next one for bitcoin will happen.

Yeah so unpredictable lol

Seriously the equities stock market is far more unpredictable since supply isn't regulated. Even commodities like gold are less predicable since nobody really knows the supply. I think some of you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to markets.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:10 PM   #1693
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Every bull run ends. And I can tell you when the next one will happen.

Yeah so unpredictable lol

Seriously the stock market is far more unpredictable since supply isn't regulated. I think some of you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to markets.
Wow the arrogance here.
You did not predict this.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:11 PM   #1694
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

curio,

Possibly, personally would only use risk capital into crypto currency.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:16 PM   #1695
curio
𐐒ananaD

You guys are funny. You're basing your opinion on a 1 year price difference? Wow okay.

Not my fault you don't understand what I'm talking about:

I'm only rich now because I understand this but okay - I was actually trying to give you some good advice but no sweat off my back if you don't want to actually listen.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:19 PM   #1696
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

BTC will increase overall until end of 2021.
Will fall off sometime after that, how far I don't know. It won't be as low as $10k again.
If you look at total crypto market cap now it's MUCH larger than 2018 bull run. Bitcoin itself is over $1 trillion. With big institutions, banks, governments, corporations behind it this time, it's not going to fall to the floor again.
I wish it did, so I can buy it up cheap and sit on it for 4 years. March 12, 2024 next bitcoin halving. Whatever crypto is GPU mineable then will make sure any RTX 5080's are hard to find.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:20 PM   #1697
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
BTC will increase overall until end of 2021.
Will fall off sometime after that, how far I don't know. It won't be as low as $10k again.
If you look at total crypto market cap now it's MUCH larger than 2018 bull run. Bitcoin itself is over $1 trillion. With big institutions, banks, governments, corporations behind it this time, it's not going to fall to the floor again.
I wish it did, so I can buy it up cheap and sit on it for 4 years. March 12, 2024 next bitcoin halving. Whatever crypto is GPU mineable then will make sure any RTX 5080's are hard to find.
Finally someone that gets it
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:24 PM   #1698
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Thanks curio. Was a bit tentative on buying some coin but I think I will get 1 or 2 when I can afford one during the dip. Should’ve done it in November when I was thinking about it.

P.S. this bull run is already 15K over predicted value of 40-45K.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:27 PM   #1699
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Thanks curio. Was a bit tentative on buying some coin but I think I will get 1 or 2 when I can afford one during the dip. Should’ve done it in November when I was thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
P.S. this bull run is already 15K over predicted value of 40-45K.
The magic of institutionalization. And we're just getting started - the real money will be made in the next cycle.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:27 PM   #1700
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Many investing aspects are over valued and corrections may be heading our way, imho. I wouldn't feel so confident.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:31 PM   #1701
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Many investing aspects are over valued and corrections may be heading our way, imho. I wouldn't feel so confident.
Again, unlike most investing prospects this is predicable simply because supply is reduced on a planned basis over time. It's what controls inflation and also causes runs. Yes, you can predict based on that. Which is why every previous cycle did the same sweep.

In fact that's literally in the whitepaper of bitcoin and the plan all the way through the end of the supply.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:35 PM   #1702
Riptide

Quote:
Agree 100%, and I am leveraged in to the stock market like everyone else is with a retirement account. Moreso than ever before. Rates have been in the toilet for so long now, it's one of the few ways to make money with money.

We recovered so quickly from the selloffs last March. Hard to believe that's really going to be it for a long while.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:37 PM   #1703
curio
𐐒ananaD

Well yeah nobody's saying don't be diversified - I have money everywhere, I play as many sides as possible.

And rates are great with stablecoin lending and staking. What, 0.10% interest rate from the bank? 9-15% with USDC.

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:37 PM   #1704
Riptide

Quote:
In fact that's literally in the whitepaper of bitcoin and the plan all the way through the end of the supply.
What is the plan to secure the blockchain for bitcoin once almost every coin is mined and the network difficulty is so high it isn't practical to mine any longer?

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:39 PM   #1705
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
What is the plan to secure the blockchain for bitcoin once almost every coin is mined and the network difficulty is so high it isn't practical to mine any longer?
Supposed to be that then it switches to miners making money through charging fees for performing transactions. Fee rates will be determined by supply & demand because at that point they're expecting it to be in currency phase.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:48 PM   #1706
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There will be transaction fees even after all coins are mined (by the Chinese ). That is if anyone even bothers to mine the last few coins since difficulty will be so high. Then again what will computing power be like?

Also, the last coin if it is mined will be somewhere between the years 2070ish-2140. Who knows what tech we have by then. Maybe we'll all be holding hands singing kumbaya and won't need coins or currency by then. Plus what will quantum computers bring?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:49 PM   #1707
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
You guys are funny. You're basing your opinion on a 1 year price difference? Wow okay.

Not my fault you don't understand what I'm talking about:
The link I guess defaults to 1 year. Look at the All portion. You did not predict your bull run from March to now. Bitcoin has jump from 5k USD to 56k. That is not normal whatsoever relative to its entire lifespan and coincidentally correlates to covid.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 21, 2021, 01:53 PM   #1708
Riptide

XMR is what I'm into and I've been mining recently on moneroocean. Pool is very well run and supports algo switching. Strictly a hobby thing for me, not a business venture, and I have no designs on getting rich.

This time around instead of buying expensive top end parts I've gone with some more budget options. The rig frame is literally going to be a rack from home depot for $25. Not spending $150+ on a veddha lol.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT

Last edited by Riptide : Feb 21, 2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 02:30 PM   #1709
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
The link I guess defaults to 1 year. Look at the All portion. You did not predict your bull run from March to now. Bitcoin has jump from 5k USD to 56k. That is not normal whatsoever relative to its entire lifespan and coincidentally correlates to covid.
You mean certain smart people started reaccumulating in March 2020 in prep for the planned supply halving that happened in May 2020 which triggered the start of the next bull run? :whoaNeo:

Actually many people predicted that happening, which is why they made good money.

I mean how else should it be judged? Just looking at the last halving showed when it would happen again. And it did. If you think this is only because of covid, just wait until this happens again in 2025 at even higher levels after the next 2024 halving. Assuming bitcoin is still legal by then.

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 02:34 PM   #1710
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

well very few will be mining with AMD 6800 xt's so ......

Quote:
AMD has more stock of its own RX 6000 graphics cards coming soon
Quote:
“Additional reference cards are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2021. We will also continue supporting our partners in the development of their custom AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics card designs.”
https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-h...ds-coming-soon

the Jacket won't be a happy camper