Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
zopheus

zopheus is still being judged by the masses

Default Everquest 2, Dual Video Cards, Dual Monitors, Second Monitor 3D Render Problem

I have two video cards:

AGP Radeon 9800 Pro
PCI Radeon 9250

Both are installed and there seems to be no conflicts. However, anything on the second monitor is choppy and slow frame rate. Even when scrolling on websites its terrible. My guess is that the second monitor is doing software rendering instead of hardware. Hardware acceleration is set to full for both cards.

My goal is to be able to play EQ2 in windowed mode on the second monitor. Right now, it is so choppy I can't even move the mouse properly. What is the problem here? Is there a way to force applications to use the second video card instead of the main processor?

Thanks for any help.
zopheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:29 AM   #2
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopheus
I have two video cards:

AGP Radeon 9800 Pro
PCI Radeon 9250

Both are installed and there seems to be no conflicts. However, anything on the second monitor is choppy and slow frame rate. Even when scrolling on websites its terrible. My guess is that the second monitor is doing software rendering instead of hardware. Hardware acceleration is set to full for both cards.

My goal is to be able to play EQ2 in windowed mode on the second monitor. Right now, it is so choppy I can't even move the mouse properly. What is the problem here? Is there a way to force applications to use the second video card instead of the main processor?

Thanks for any help.
That will never happen. Being able to play EQ2 in a window on the second monitor with good performance. Unless you run dual monitors off a single card, you can get decent (compared to what you have now) performance, but not with the setup you have there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:46 AM   #3
zopheus

What is the reason for that?

Also, do you know why it would also be affecting my normal apps? Such as scrolling up and down on a webpage?

Thanks,
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:53 AM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopheus
What is the reason for that?

Also, do you know why it would also be affecting my normal apps? Such as scrolling up and down on a webpage?

Thanks,
Because your other video card is a PCI video card. (likely more to do with the drivers, in this said combo) You would be better off just setting up the 9800 to output to both monitors instead of using the PCI video card. It would be a bit weak in the games department on the second monitor this way (windowed) however.. Much better than the PCI card as a second card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:44 PM   #5
zopheus

Thanks for your help VW_Factor

Well, thats actually the issue. I have been using my 9800 Pro to run both, and it works, but the frame rate is not that great. I was hoping with a second card to be able to get good frame rate on the second monitor. But if that is not possible I guess im SOL.

Thanks again.