Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old May 21, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Super Moderator

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

ATI Technologies Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 2GB Vapor-X Video Card Review @ TweakTown

I know that so many people don't even have to read what I write today, nor look at the graphs that I make for the simple reason they've already made up their mind on the HD 5870 2GB. So many people out there want a 2GB version of the HD 5870 because it's perceived as having more performance for the simple fact that it's got double the memory.

At the end of the day, it's not my job to tell you what you can and can't buy, but more to guide you in a direction to help make sure that you spend your hard earned dollars on products that are going to offer the best value to you.

Still, throw in a heap of memory and for some people it doesn't matter; the decision is made that they want and need this. Before we get looking at the performance and the exact specifications of the Vapor-X version of the HD 5870 we have with us today, let's first take a look at the package Sapphire has put together and a closer look at the card itself.

Click here to read the full review.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 04:06 PM   #2
DarkSyde
Rage3D Veteran

DarkSyde is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

I was one of those people waiting for a 2GB board before upgrading, and after looking through as many reviews as possible it just didn't seem worth it for my single 1080P monitor. This review seems to reinforce my decision to save some cash and forget about having 2GB. Instead I ended up finding a 1GB 5870 VaporX at ZZF early this week for $440 (and it had a free copy of Dirt2 which I didn't know until I opened up the box today). Thankfully they still have/had some of the 1GB boards, as Sapphire seems to be only making these with 2GB now. $440 was stretching it for me, there was no way I could afford over $500, and I've been wanting a VaporX board for a very long time.

So far it's worth every penny just to put an end to 2 years of constant headaches with my 2 4850 boards. From faint scrolling lines when Crossfire actually works, to half of the games I play not working with Crossfire at all, to not being able to play something in windowed mode without rendering my 2nd board useless, I'd had enough and will never try to use multi-GPU again until it 'just works'. My system is finally whisper quiet (something I had sorely missed until replacing my CPU/HSF recently, and now this GFX board as well), and I can play newer games with smooth framerates again... even in a window.

I'm not one to smile... but I've got a noticeably less negative smirk on my face right now .
DarkSyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 12:04 AM   #3
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Nice card, rather expensive and for a single monitor user or non Cinema4d user may not give to much more then a regular 5870. Now the extra $80-100 may not be that much in the end so each there own. Wished EyeFinity was at least tested which would show the benefits of 2gb of ram. Now the top five performers had ATi for four and Nvidia for one in fourth place .
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Sobek
Radeon R700

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyde View Post
I was one of those people waiting for a 2GB board before upgrading, and after looking through as many reviews as possible it just didn't seem worth it for my single 1080P monitor.
GTA 4 with texture replacements and 99,999 other various mods and tweaks (high poly car replacements) should make good use of all that Vram

And ArmA 2 can make quite a dent at max settings too I believe.

I'd love a 2gb card myself, but the premiums are always so bloody high.