Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Bluestacks for Surface Pro - Play Any Android App

Bluestacks available ----

Play any Android App on your Windows 8 boxes. Optimized for the Surface Pro.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/12/b...ndroid-app-pl/

This should be interesting...... Love for some first hand feedback

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Basically just a sandboxed Android emulator running within the Windows environment. It's hard to navigate on my Win8 laptop and doesn't integrate with Modern UI or anything. App selection is also pretty limited from what I can see, don't know what the big deal is.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Good news for me, been awaiting this for while.

Even if it doesn't catch on it will increase my user base depending upon the app/game released with minimal effort on my part.

Unfortunately I'm almost exclusivly developing apps that mostly rely upon internal sensors etc but I have had my eye on this for a year or so.

Also, who knows where the hardware is headed...
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:53 PM   #4
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

I think its pretty cool. I have mention this before but windows 8 has brought new life to my HP Tm2t and having this just makes it even more fun to own. I was able to install stuff from Google play store and so far apps run great. Very impressed. Synced with my existing google play account from my Android days too. Been playing Angry Birds space with really good perf.
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
VR
Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
Consoles
SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Basically just a sandboxed Android emulator running within the Windows environment. It's hard to navigate on my Win8 laptop and doesn't integrate with Modern UI or anything. App selection is also pretty limited from what I can see, don't know what the big deal is.
See below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmt View Post
I think its pretty cool. I have mention this before but windows 8 has brought new life to my HP Tm2t and having this just makes it even more fun to own. I was able to install stuff from Google play store and so far apps run great. Very impressed. Synced with my existing google play account from my Android days too. Been playing Angry Birds space with really good perf.

Apparently he got stuff out of the Google Play store? They advertise all Android apps can run on it.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Hmm my bad, it looks like it was having connection issues. Nothing was popping up when it was doing the app store search but now it is. Gonna check out Bard's Tale in a bit

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #7
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

tried this a few months back when AMD advertised it and it wouldn't run half my app purchases so I uninstalled.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Fixed storage size really cripples usability. Can't even download Bard's Tale HD texture pack because it's too big. 4GB is what it comes with and no option to change it.

Edit: and Bard's Tale doesn't seem to run at all.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Feb 12, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Fixed storage size really cripples usability. Can't even download Bard's Tale HD texture pack because it's too big. 4GB is what it comes with and no option to change it.

Edit: and Bard's Tale doesn't seem to run at all.
Interesting, is this 4gig overall for bluestacks app storage?

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

Seems like it. There was a hack to change it at xda but I can't be bothered to try it out. I don't think it'll help anyhow since the game I'm trying to launch just force quits.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:44 PM   #11
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

installing it right now on my acer w700

i just turned my WIn 8 tablet into a android tablet. so not bad at all

this apps has so much potential, however, so many apps are not working at all. altho i must say touch screen tablet works perfectly on it
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 13, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:41 AM   #12
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I just installed this in Win7. There are some really useful apps that I wanted to use in Windows, and they work great in Bluestacks.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Excellent... now just release a version for RT

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:00 AM   #14
Rakeesh
Rustacean

Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses

How is this different from the official android emulator that google makes?

Anyways this is good for android but might hurt W8. Basically you write your app for android and then you don't need to worry about W8. For this exact reason, Google wrote a framework to make it easy for android developers to port their apps to iOS.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:26 AM   #15
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post

Anyways this is good for android but might hurt W8. Basically you write your app for android and then you don't need to worry about W8. For this exact reason, Google wrote a framework to make it easy for android developers to port their apps to iOS.
I don't see this hurting Windows 8. One it doesn't flow well with metro. All apps run on the desktop. Also, not as fast as native Windows 8 HTML5 apps.
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
VR
Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
Consoles
SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post

Bluestacks is more like WINE than a traditional emulator. Which basically means it is faster.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:50 PM   #17
Rakeesh
Rustacean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmt View Post
I don't see this hurting Windows 8. One it doesn't flow well with metro. All apps run on the desktop. Also, not as fast as native Windows 8 HTML5 apps.
Exactly. Most developers are pretty lazy about this sort of thing. They'll just create an android app and then just release a standalone apk for use on an emulator if the windows users want it.

There are numerous problems with porting apps to RT. For one, basically every platform out there uses BSD sockets (including Win32,) except RT which uses basically a newer version of winsock (which if you recall from back in the day, microsoft discarded it because it was riddled with problems.) Everything except RT supports at least some flavor of OpenGL. While RT has a DX11 style API, only the DX9 feature set is supported.

Those only scratch the surface, and they are by far the most common and most critical API's any developer needs to target for any mobile app. It is relatively easy to port apps between blackberry, android, and ios, but porting to RT is a whole other can of worms.

It's also for these exact reasons that most developers don't do native apps for RT, rather the apps they release are simply an overlay for a web page.

So what do we do if we need functions that aren't doable with HTML/CSS/ECMA? Easy, target android. Sure the app won't be as nice as native RT ones, but it'll be good enough to get a return on investment, whereas doing a full port probably requires a rewrite. Since only 3% (and declining) of the end user market uses WP, there's not any sense in doing a full port.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Rakeesh
Rustacean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Bluestacks is more like WINE than a traditional emulator. Which basically means it is faster.
Then that would rule out native ARM code in addition to a number of hardware features present on android but not on RT devices.