Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:48 AM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I don't know that it's actually true that the 2080 Ti sold "well". As far as I can tell it never got to be more than 1% on the Steam Hardware survey. It's way down the list on the current hardware survey, and if you go back to look at older time periods, it's the same.

Although I am sure each 2080 Ti was quite profitable, a relatively small number of them sold compared to the cheaper cards. The lion's share of the sales are 70 class or below. For that matter the 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 and 3080 have all already supplanted 2080 Ti on the Steam survey. The only thing from 3000 series worse than 2080 Ti share is the 3090 (not counting 3080 Ti or 3070 Ti since they haven't been out long).

I think a distinction needs to be made between something "selling" and "selling well". Selling means the product actually makes sense to someone, but "selling well" has to mean getting more than 1% of market share. Reducing yourself to 1% of your sales base isn't going to result in huge profits, even if you jack the price up to $2000. There have to be much cheaper cards than that for there to even be a GPU market.

I think the sales on Ebay and other online reselling sites don't provide an accurate picture of the whole GPU market. Sure the few hundred cards on there at any time sell, but that's out of tens of thousands of cards shipped overall.
they did with the start of the pandemic till the 3000's came out and all the people working at home
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:52 AM   #302
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Jiminy Cricket:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/pc...ign=socialflow

Quote:
PCIe 5.0 Power Connector Delivers Up To 600W For Next-Gen AMD, Nvidia GPUs

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:07 PM   #303
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post

future gaming PC power supply

https://sunwatts.com/30-3kw-solar-ki...icro-inverter/
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:12 PM   #304
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I just bought a 750w Superflower for the next rig that may be am4 or 5 depending how things go this winter...

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-...ching-in-2022/

Ryzen 7000???

I might have really bet on the wrong horse for that PS lol.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 10, 2021, 01:14 PM   #305
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I just bought a 750w Superflower for the next rig that may be am4 or 5 depending how things go this winter...

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-...ching-in-2022/

Ryzen 7000???

I might have really bet on the wrong horse for that PS lol.

I had SLI and CFX so have a 1050 and 1250 PSU
Old Oct 10, 2021, 01:20 PM   #306
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Wasnt there a joke a long time ago where a GPU will eventually come with its own external power supply?

doesnt seem like much of a joke anymore....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2021, 01:58 PM   #307
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I had SLI and CFX so have a 1050 and 1250 PSU
You'll need a 2kw ps next time.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 10, 2021, 01:59 PM   #308
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Wasnt there a joke a long time ago where a GPU will eventually come with its own external power supply?

doesnt seem like much of a joke anymore....
I cant imagine the kind of cooling you'll need on a 600w chip. It'll make the 3090 look like a dwarf...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 10, 2021, 02:48 PM   #309
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I cant imagine the kind of cooling you'll need on a 600w chip. It'll make the 3090 look like a dwarf...
full water only or maybe 360mm or 420mm rad AIO

fan cards for the hearing impaired and deaf
Old Oct 10, 2021, 03:04 PM   #310
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Can you imagine a dual gpu on one card?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 10, 2021, 06:09 PM   #311
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

not as bad as all that

or as bad as two fury x's in CFX or two 1080 ti's in SLI

but if it is 200% to 300% times faster than a 6900 I can live with the 600 watts

but not like the 3090 that can draw 500 watts for only 50% over a 2080 ti
Old Oct 10, 2021, 06:24 PM   #312
pax
Rage3D Spammer

I read a bit on the 3090's frying with New World MMO and some with BF 2042 and apparently its not the software but the gpus that are simply running too hot and when games simply make use of more of the silicon it runs too hot... so 500w may already be too much.

Water may be the only way too cool these things reliably going forward.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 10, 2021, 08:32 PM   #313
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I read a bit on the 3090's frying with New World MMO and some with BF 2042 and apparently its not the software but the gpus that are simply running too hot and when games simply make use of more of the silicon it runs too hot... so 500w may already be too much.

Water may be the only way too cool these things reliably going forward.
remember

the 3090 is a monolithic GPU

RDNA 3 is chiplets and it will spread out the heat

the whole package maybe very big a lot bigger than Threadripper
the card maybe big enough for 4 fans
Old Oct 10, 2021, 09:46 PM   #314
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Out of all the theories on what the cause is, what you just said has to be the worst one of them all

Plenty of info out on this already. Power limits are not being respected by New World for some reason, and mosfets/phases are literally exploding due to overvoltage. OCP is not kicking in properly, etc.

It's poor board design and poor overcurrent protection. Nothing to do with heat, but power/wattage and power delivery.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:35 PM   #315
pax
Rage3D Spammer

May be the case that nvidia purposely designed this thing to fail:

https://twitter.com/Buildzoid1/statu...56811551940612

Quote:
Buildzoid
@Buildzoid1
The more I probe the 3090 the more confused and horrified I am by the absolutely abomination that is the Vcore VRM. At this point I'm not surprised by 3090s dying I'm surprised by them being able to turn on in the first place.
8:07 AM · Oct 10, 2021·Twitter Web App
Class action coming in 3-2-...?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 11, 2021, 07:37 AM   #316
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
May be the case that nvidia purposely designed this thing to fail...

Seriously?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2021, 08:28 AM   #317
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
May be the case that nvidia purposely designed this thing to fail:

https://twitter.com/Buildzoid1/statu...56811551940612

You think NV purposely designed a GPU to blow up .............. ??

He's only talking about cards using UP9511's for the vcore VRM. That's not all cards.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 11, 2021, 09:29 AM   #318
pax
Rage3D Spammer

BZ has 2 vids on this and Id bet a 3rd one is incoming... sounds like its the reference pcb being that its several brands.

We'll see.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 11, 2021, 09:44 AM   #319
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I think it's possible NV went for a cheap(er) design for reference PCBs, which is normal, and there aren't enough phases to handle all the current. There is an issue with New World not respecting power limits (set it to 100% which is, let's say 375w, and yet the game will stay pegged at 400w). Games should not be able to do that outside of super hard transient loads that the VRM can't keep up with, which is acceptable. There needs to be an implementation from NV on the driver side to stop what New World is somehow doing.

Yes, all reference boards are using UP9511s for the vCore VRM. If the VRM is the issue then it would affect pretty much any card using the reference design. This explains why the FTW3 is also having issues despite being a custom PCB - it's using UP9511s.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:27 AM   #320
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Ya should be fixed with a simple driver... amd did the same thing in the vegas a while back where I used to get 1700 core with my mild undervolt its now maxed at 1683 mhz after a driver update.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 13, 2021, 06:29 PM   #321
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD RDNA 3: New GPUs may support 16K HDR with DisplayPort 2.0
https://nintendosmash.com/amd-rdna-3...splayport-2-0/
Old Oct 15, 2021, 04:56 PM   #322
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Really what's the point talking about 16k hdr in RDNA 3? In current games 4K is just about achievable and 8K is still a pipe dream. By the time 16K HDR is a thing RDNA 3 will be as dead as a dodo. Same applies for 8K and 3090 it's a gimmick to try and future proof cards, that's all. Marketing BS.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2021, 08:44 PM   #323
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's possible with FSR/DLSS. I think the biggest thing to take from that is it can output to a 16k display. Current GPU's support 8k max. What your games render at internally is another story.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 09:14 PM   #324
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Really what's the point talking about 16k hdr in RDNA 3? In current games 4K is just about achievable and 8K is still a pipe dream. By the time 16K HDR is a thing RDNA 3 will be as dead as a dodo. Same applies for 8K and 3090 it's a gimmick to try and future proof cards, that's all. Marketing BS.
8k tvs are getting cheap, Ive seen some for ~1500$ cad locally, and I can see the next gen push for 16k easily with the rumored large perf increase of lovelace and navi3. I can see the gen after that targeting 16k so having some modest 16k capability in next years is reasonable. The same way the 5700xt was 4k/30-60 capable to some degree but it was the 6000 gen that pushed 4k harder.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:22 PM   #325
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
8k tvs are getting cheap, Ive seen some for ~1500$ cad locally, and I can see the next gen push for 16k easily with the rumored large perf increase of lovelace and navi3. I can see the gen after that targeting 16k so having some modest 16k capability in next years is reasonable. The same way the 5700xt was 4k/30-60 capable to some degree but it was the 6000 gen that pushed 4k harder.
I started 4k with AMD R9 290X cfx in 2015 four years before the 5700xt

you might be able to do 8k now if SLI/CFX still worked
Old Oct 16, 2021, 01:16 PM   #326
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I started 4k with AMD R9 290X cfx in 2015 four years before the 5700xt

you might be able to do 8k now if SLI/CFX still worked
Not sure we'll ever see that again but keep hearing about dual gpu on a single board tho its probably about chiplets from here on out. But if they used HBM, if they ever go back to that memory, could easily do 2 packages on a single board.

I can imagine the power useage tho. Im looking for a dual psu case now in case we need 2 750s which would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a single 1500w.

This one looks like it could be modded for that:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/t...ow-argb/5.html

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 16, 2021, 02:02 PM   #327
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Pax there is no 8K content regularly available for TV's. They are upscaling which isn't the same thing it's not native 8K. I considered a Samsung 8K TV but decided to buy a 4K one for now because by the time there is native 8K content TV's will have changed dramatically. Basically 16K TV's are probably a decade away if ever. TBH it's won't be mass market for a very long time so RDNA 3 with that support, what's the point? Same goes for Lovelace it's just marketing BS.

My 3090 supports 8k and with DLSS/DLAA it's meant to be OK but am I bothered? Absolutely not I'm only interested in what it can do for gaming today. Years from now I'll deal with then. I think 8K/16K are like VR. Meant to be the next best thing but just never happens because the mass market isn't really interested in it.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Oct 16, 2021, 02:31 PM   #328
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

who cares about what is available for TV and movies

Games will play at 8k

and this is ok - but I have not looked into QNED

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6461910

give me a card that will give me 60 to 120 FPS at 8k and i'll buy it
Old Oct 16, 2021, 02:37 PM   #329
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Yeah thats what I mean in getting an oled 43-48" 8k tv as a monitor. Or maybe a qled not sure yet with that screen burn thing. I plan an 8k mon upgrade in a year or so.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 16, 2021, 03:18 PM   #330
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
who cares about what is available for TV and movies

Games will play at 8k

and this is ok - but I have not looked into QNED

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6461910

give me a card that will give me 60 to 120 FPS at 8k and i'll buy it
Bill that TV/Monitor costs $2,799 and you'd need a next gen card costing about $2,000 to get your 60fps so really cheap at $4,799. I bet it will be real fun sitting 2 feet from a 65" TV/Monitor