Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

View Poll Results: Which one?
Western Digital 15 31.25%
Seagate 33 68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Default Western Digital vs Seagate: Which one is more reliable?

I am planning on purchasing a large SATA hard drive, which will be used exclusively for complete system backups. Also, I am planning on putting it in an external enclosure.

I want it to be reliable!

My options are either the WDxx00KS series from Western Digital, or the 7200.10 series from Seagate.

If reliability is the numero uno factor, which one should I go for?

Thanks

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:15 AM   #2
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

5 year warranty vs 3. both are pretty much on equal footing in my experience, but an extra 2 years of coverage makes the seagate worth it.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Gotta go with WD.

Have owned about 8 WD hard drives over the years, and have never had a problem with a single one.

On the other hand, owned 2 Seagates, and had to return one back to the manufacturer, twice!
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Grov
Death Comes For You

Grov is still being judged by the masses

Either, it really doesn't matter which one you get, there both as good as the other. Seagate offer 5 year warrenty, so thats the better option IMO, or whichever is cheapest.

Your gonna get people who say well ive had this many WD's die and no seagate and vice vera, it really means **** all.
Grov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:06 AM   #5
cjl64
The Mod has you....

cjl64 is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grov View Post
Either, it really doesn't matter which one you get, there both as good as the other. Seagate offer 5 year warrenty, so thats the better option IMO, or whichever is cheapest.

Your gonna get people who say well ive had this many WD's die and no seagate and vice vera, it really means **** all.
i have had good luck with all hard drives except my really old quantum fireball HD. But the seagate has been fast and really quite.

Also... if you need mod assistance please pm cjl64 for speedy results. :D
cjl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:14 AM   #6
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I had 6 WD drives in my last system, no problems or complaints about any of them.

Both brands are, in my experience, quite reliable, however. The only recent exception I can make to this is that Seagate seems to have had a rash of bad 7200.7's and .8's, which has yet to be repeated with the .9's or .10's.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
nextbillgates

HP ProLiants are probably the most solid and reliable x86 servers on the market today, and their SATA drives are exclusively Seagate.

Just something to think about.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

In my new rig im running a 160gb WD drive as my system drive, and a 320gb Seagate PERP drive as one of my storage drives and both run nice.

I've had one WD drive die on me, and one seagate drive that's very tempermental, so I'm not bias either way.

Both companies make good drives, and since they have the same warranty, it's pretty much a wash.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:32 PM   #9
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Luck of the draw.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:41 PM   #10
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextbillgates View Post
HP ProLiants are probably the most solid and reliable x86 servers on the market today, and their SATA drives are exclusively Seagate.

Just something to think about.
I think this is more a side-effect of the extremely-aggressive pricing Seagate is able to offer due to the $:GB ratio perpendicular recording affords them.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Seagate builds world-class hard drives. I also happen to think WD does the same.

Were I to buy a drive right now, I would go with a 7200.10. I can't say one manufacturer is clearly better than the other though (which is why I haven't voted in the poll).
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:56 PM   #11
nextbillgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
I think this is more a side-effect of the extremely-aggressive pricing Seagate is able to offer due to the $:GB ratio perpendicular recording affords them.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Seagate builds world-class hard drives. I also happen to think WD does the same.

Were I to buy a drive right now, I would go with a 7200.10. I can't say one manufacturer is clearly better than the other though (which is why I haven't voted in the poll).
HP's been with Seagate long before the 7200.10 series was released.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:58 PM   #12
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextbillgates View Post
HP's been with Seagate long before the 7200.10 series was released.
Then why not say that in the first place?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:00 PM   #13
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I'm clearly a bit more dissapointed in WD then Seagate right now. WD has EXCELLENT warrenty service, but I've had to use it one too many times in the last 2 years to be happy with them anymore. Seagate used to be on my poopy-list but have long since earned thier way off of that list. WD has only recently earned thier way ON to that list. Gimme time and I'll probably forgive WD.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:13 PM   #14
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Raged_Fanatic is still being judged by the masses

No surprise as to which company will win this poll.
Raged_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:21 PM   #15
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raged_Fanatic View Post
No surprise as to which company will win this poll.
Quantum?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:48 PM   #16
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Raged_Fanatic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
Quantum?
Noob! IBM will win it!
Raged_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:18 PM   #17
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

I gotta go with Seagate as well. I've never had a problem with any of the WD drives I bought, but I got a comparable model WD drive for another system about the same time as my 7200.7s below and the Seagates are very noticably quieter. Of course that was almost two years ago now so things may have changed.

Last edited by Sweetz : Mar 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:49 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Seagate.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:13 PM   #19
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I heard some rumors about the Seagate harddrives dying young recently. As a result, I would say Western Digital is more reliable. But rumors are just rumors.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:55 PM   #20
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
I heard some rumors about the Seagate harddrives dying young recently. As a result, I would say Western Digital is more reliable. But rumors are just rumors.
Never say something that's "as a result" of anything based on a rumor. Say instead you've HEARD this rumor. Saying either is more reliable based on a rumor would be highly irresponsible (but I won't dog ya for that too much, I can't even spell it )...
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:17 PM   #21
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

From working at a data recovery company that also refurbished hard drives, I've seen a lot more fried WDs than Seagates. When a Seagate dies, it is generally dead with no question, but the WDs seem to like to kick up with a lot more intermittent weirdness first.

Personally, I've had three WD 160 Gb SATA drives die in 9 months in two of my home computers. I've never had any trouble with Seagate drives and have only had one die on me in service - and it was a 240 Mb legacy drive if memory serves (it was a couple years ago and was a redundant backup). I'm sure I've still got a 40 Mb Seagate MFM that will fire up and run for me if I need it (the drive was running in my father-in-law's bookkeeping system until last year).

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:28 PM   #22
Heero Avaren
Radeon R420

Heero Avaren is still being judged by the masses

Buy three different brands and triple your backups. Only way to be safe.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:45 AM   #23
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

I didn't just hear the words hard drive & reliable in the same sentence now did i?

No such thing.

I'd get the WD purely due to their superior advanced RMA, since yup, you may very well need it.

BTW, i've had both fail on me.
One Raptor, one Seagate.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:47 PM   #24
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just because of the warranty, the Seagate.

But if reliability is top priority, and is very important, you should be considering 2 additional things, since a single drive always has potential to have problems:

RAID 1 - Cheap given onboard mobo controllers and cheap drives.
Backups - A drive or DVDs, tapes can be difficult unless you have a LOT of data and don't need it back much.

Neither is expensive, and both will give you at least a couple orders of magnitude less total failures.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:28 AM   #25
Heero Avaren
Radeon R420

Heero Avaren is still being judged by the masses

There is also the option of purchasing storage online and uploading whatever you need to their servers. There are many companies that do this and most offer a guarantee. It does cost money though, a monthly fee based on how much data you store/what safety options you select.

Google around a bit, it's worth it if you absolutely need the data protected.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:48 AM   #26
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

With prices this low I am more worried about how they handle the warrenty than how long it is. 3 years and we will all be looking for new HDs anyway for more space. Company policy is to me a big deal, in fact I will deal with a bit more expense and a slight performance lose if the company will work with me.

That said lets examine the options:

Seagate: Okay your drive has died, pack the drive in a box to our exact standards, if you do not the warrenty is void. Next ship it to us and in 6 to 8 weeks we will ship you a replacement drive.

WD: Okay your drive has died, give us a credit card number, we will ship you your replacement drive and you should have it in 3 days. Put the old drive in the packaging we shipped to you and if it is returned to us within 90 days there is no charge.

My goal is to never have to use the warrenty but a warrenty that is a pain to use is almost as bad as no warrenty.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:01 AM   #27
Grov
Death Comes For You

Grov is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
With prices this low I am more worried about how they handle the warrenty than how long it is. 3 years and we will all be looking for new HDs anyway for more space. Company policy is to me a big deal, in fact I will deal with a bit more expense and a slight performance lose if the company will work with me.

Seagate: Okay your drive has died, pack the drive in a box to our exact standards, if you do not the warrenty is void. Next ship it to us and in 6 to 8 weeks we will ship you a replacement drive.

WD: Okay your drive has died, give us a credit card number, we will ship you your replacement drive and you should have it in 3 days. Put the old drive in the packaging we shipped to you and if it is returned to us within 90 days there is no charge.

My goal is to never have to use the warrenty but a warrenty that is a pain to use is almost as bad as no warrenty.
Heheh, ive used WD once, and they were excellent for warrenty.
Grov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:11 PM   #28
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post

And my ONLY personal experience with WD's Advanced RMA was crap. Now the shop I used to work for had excellent experience with advanced RMA's from WD. Never a prob. So imagine my suprise the ONE time I needed it myself and it went like dog-doodoo...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:58 PM   #29
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've been favoring Seagate as of late, after having a full batch of bad WD's that died sub-12 months (All of them, much like a Quantum SCSI disk batch that was pulled from market .. luckily I got some of those that all died in under 3 months, yay), I've been a little lacking on the "Trust WD department".

Luckily warranty is not a problem as the businesses that sell me the HDs are required (by law) to accept and replace the drive free of charge for a minimum of 12 months (regardless of what the warranty says, you cannot sell products here with sub-12 month warranty - except some specialized low cost products) and up to to the warranty specified by the manufacturer.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:14 PM   #30
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

I've always had good luck with Seagate, but lately have had good experiences with Samsung.