Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default 40+40x0+1=?

Saw this on FB and couldn't believe the amount of people who got it wrong.

Let's see how many of you paid attention during math.

40+40*0+1=
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSupra_Freak has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:38 PM   #3
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Freak View Post
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I got the right answer and I always see these on facebook. The problem is, its posted on facebook and online. So you have to think like a stupid person to get the stupid person answer... thats why I think a lot of people get it wrong.

If I were taking a quiz/test in school or something important I would think order of operations. But online, I would just do it straight across cause 99% of the time thats what the person who typed it meant. Unless its of course one of these, where the person thinks theyre smart cause they just learned the order of operations.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Funnily enough, I just messaged a friend of mine who got it wrong to tell him why he got it wrong... These math questions keep popping up on there, it's getting a bit old already... Though I did get to argue for a friend who got it right while another person kept trying to tell him he got it wrong.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:54 PM   #6
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

40+(40x0)+1 = 41
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I love this girl to death, but this is one of the dumbest things she's ever said.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:06 PM   #8
voodoo1
Proud OIF Veteran

voodoo1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
40+(40x0)+1 = 41
That is way it should have been written, but yes it's 41.
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Lunar Wolf
arr ye scurvy noobs!!1

Lunar Wolf is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo1 View Post
as its written its 1.
Lunar Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:10 PM   #10
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
I love this girl to death, but this is one of the dumbest things she's ever said.

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Wolf View Post
as its written its 1.
Yeah no it's not.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=40%2B40*0%2B1%3D
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
No. Parenthesis dictate you do that operation first, which overrides the remainder of the order of operations.

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:19 PM   #13
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:44 PM   #14
0mar
Sturmbannführer

0mar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
as its written its 1.
as written, it's 41.

You multiply first, 40*0 = 0, then add 40 + 0 + 1, giving 41.
"You think yer smart? Think you can outsmart a bullet?"
"Americans will pay big bucks for horny goat weed, but won't pay for an aortic aneurysm to be fixed."
0mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:46 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
The rest of her better be pretty hot to make up for the stupids.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
as its written its 1.
Nope.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:32 PM   #17
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So the X is really some sort of infinitum multiplier giving the zero next to it preternatural power of some math deity creating a swirling vortex of nothingness in which all other nearby numerals are sucked in never to be seen again.

"Anything X 0 is 0"
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:37 PM   #18
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ah HAH!

I actually read up on it...

BEDMAS and PEMDAS(US mainly) are the same god damn thing..

B E DM AS or P E MD AS

DM/MD are interchangeable, done left to right: 7 x 3 / 2 = 10.5

AS/SA are interchangeable, done left to right: 5 + 1 - 4 = 2

Exponents can stack and make 'special circumstances'

Either way, the answer is '41'

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Nov 9, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:43 PM   #19
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I am dissapoint. Couldn't even reference it into the answer to life, which as we all know. Is 42.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:47 PM   #20
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Well I'm sure glad this matter could finally be resolved.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:40 PM   #21
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Well I'm sure glad this matter could finally be resolved.
Indeed. My world would have been incomplete without it being so.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:02 PM   #22
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

Hmm, never heard of PEMDAS before this thread. Don't recall any associated acronyms when I learned order of operations.
The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:23 PM   #23
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I don't understand how she got 0. If you neglected that you need to do the multiplication first, and just went straight across you'd end up with 1. Does she think that if there is a 0 and a multiplication symbol the answer is always 0?
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:08 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
I don't understand how she got 0. If you neglected that you need to do the multiplication first, and just went straight across you'd end up with 1. Does she think that if there is a 0 and a multiplication symbol the answer is always 0?
of course, herp derp

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:11 PM   #25
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
Don't you know, once you put a zero in an equation the answer is ALWAYS zero!

Clearly 40 + 15 = 0 since there's a zero in there.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:23 PM   #26
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Don't you know, once you put a zero in an equation the answer is ALWAYS zero!

Clearly 40 + 15 = 0 since there's a zero in there.
I didn't know that. Are you for real?
@Shadowless
You should white out your facebook name next, instead of using blur. I can make out your last name and have already found your fb first try.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Last edited by 0091/2 : Nov 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:29 PM   #27
voodoo1
Proud OIF Veteran

Quote:
No. Parenthesis dictate you do that operation first, which overrides the remainder of the order of operations.

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction
But the paranthesis were not there so therefore it makes no sense that you would do it first. Even though we all know you do. I really think its a matter of how you look at it.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:31 PM   #28
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

It's still 40x0 so you multiply that first before doing your division, addition, or subtraction.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:39 PM   #29
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
This is what i thought at first which is why i figured some are having issues with it. I thought that without the ( ) you just tally it accordingly. BUT i hated math and dropped it as soon as i could, so i dont trust myself when it comes to such things.

What about those mathematical questions on the back of lottery type games, i guess this is why i never won.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:44 PM   #30
voodoo1
Proud OIF Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
This is what i thought at first which is why i figured some are having issues with it. I thought that without the ( ) you just tally it accordingly. BUT i hated math and dropped it as soon as i could, so i dont trust myself when it comes to such things.

What about those mathematical questions on the back of lottery type games, i guess this is why i never won.

At first I calculated it as 0, but I took a second look at it and realized it was 41. Damn paranthesis it is just like programming.