Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 11, 2001, 07:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jbarden

jbarden is still being judged by the masses

Smile

I'm using my old RagePro card for my secondary display but I can't install the updated drivers because they screw up the radeon. I was wondering what the best pci 2d card would be to go with a radeon AGP?

My new 19" monitors are due in on Monday so I want to get a new 2d card soon. Any suggestions?

I heard that Matrox used to make great PCI 2d cards but I don't know which one is best.

I don't care about the 3d at all.

Thanks Guys!

jbarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2001, 08:27 PM   #2
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Exclamation

First of all, you cant use 2 pci video cards if there not ment to. Meaning the only video card that uses to PCI slots are the voodoo1 and voodoo2's. Everything else i can think of are suppose to be only 1 card only (if annybody wants to correct me, please do). Matrox G400's are ones with 2d that are comparable or better than the Radeons.

**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2001, 08:43 PM   #3
teeact
Radeon R420

teeact is still being judged by the masses

i think u need the monitor signal splitter stuff.... its called a monitor hub or something.. u cant use 2 2d/3d video cards at the same time... if u really dont care about 3d, get a Matrox G400 dualhead...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 11, 2001, 09:00 PM   #4
Snuffoleupagus
Sesame Street Spokes-it

Snuffoleupagus is still being judged by the masses

Ummm...Last time I checked, you can use two different boards at the same time for 2d display. Not 3d however...Anyways, I'd suggest a G200 PCI board for your 2ndary display. Can be had for about $50 or so depending on where you look.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 09:10 PM   #5
bhw752k
X850 Pro 16 pipes

bhw752k is still being judged by the masses

Voodoo3 is OK. good value. Depends, cuz if you don't need the 3D capablities, then you're not getting all the value. Plus 3dfx is leaving, so you'll be without additional support. However, current drivers are fantastic (far better than the radeon, I must say), and it's fast, has good 2D, and supports Glide, if you ever need it.

Probably not what you're looking for, but something to keep in mind. I'm pretty sure I've seen them for under $100 CDN, so that's what, like $60 American?
bhw752k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2001, 10:13 PM   #6
Fred Zeppelin
Radeon R100

Fred Zeppelin is still being judged by the masses

I'm running both a Radeon 64 DDR and a Voodoo 5500 PCI in my system. You need (1) a bios setting that allows you to change the boot card (I can select "AGP/PCI" or "PCI/AGP") and (2) unless you want to manually unplug/replug the monitor cord between the cards, some sort of switch to let your monitor change from one card to the other (I'm using a Belkin Omni-Cube). Windows treats it as a multiple monitor setup and switches your monitor to the correct card and drivers each time you switch. My setup works great.
Fred Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2001, 03:35 PM   #7
jbarden

Thumbs up

I'm actually running a radeon AGP (64Vivo) and the rage pro now. (WinME dual monitor setup) I just was wondering what the best 2d card is now in a pci. The rage pro I'm using presently does it job ok, I just wanted to get the best 2d I could find... the radeon does the 3d on the main monitor and it rocks.

I may go with the Matrox card as I've heard good things about it. I have a Voodoo3 3000 in one of my other machines and I'm not impressed with it's 2d at all.

I may get one of the new RadeonPCI cards. I wonder how well they would co-exist...or I may just wait for the Radeon2 Dual Head that's rumored to be comming out. I belive the RadeonVE Dual head is due out this month. I would hate to step back to the VE but might be worth the touble.

hmmm...
Old Feb 12, 2001, 04:57 PM   #8
Snuffoleupagus
Sesame Street Spokes-it

Snuffoleupagus is still being judged by the masses

Arrow

I wouldn't get a Radeon VE. It's a neutred Rad-32DDR with dualhead. It's like the GF2MX in essence.
Old Feb 12, 2001, 10:03 PM   #9
jbarden

That what I thought about the VE... stinks...

Has anyone heard if they are making a regular RadeonDDR
dual head card?