Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old Mar 10, 2004, 06:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
titomax82
Radeon X1950 Pro AGP

titomax82 is still being judged by the masses

Default Question on arctic silver thermal pastes

Hi guys, only a little question:

I could apply to my crucial 9800pro the following thermal pastes:

arctic silver 3
arctic silver 5
arctic silver ceramique

which is better?

thanx
Old Mar 10, 2004, 01:22 PM   #2
snipper_cr
Radeon R420

snipper_cr is still being judged by the masses

Ive actually heard many reviews on three different solutions. From what ive gathered heres the low down:
Arctic Silver 3 is great for low preasure devices such as a Radeon to heat sink transfer. Its very high in density of silver and contains a good amount of it. Its slightly conductive so make sure you don’t get it near circuits, just on the core.
Arctic Silver 5 is better for high preasure devices such as a P4 HS to the P4 processor. It has a higher amount of silver in it but is equally conductive.
Arctic Ceraique is completely inconductive so you can goop on as much as you want… although I think that would actually HINDER heat transfer… Some people prefer this over any of the above mentioned. I use AS5 for my P4 as well as my radeon, even though I should have used AS3… the different is very little. Plus because of the way my mod is, its actually a high preasure mod.
Each of the above, im pretty sure, comes in a compound form which works the same way but is permanent. Once its on… its on, and people who have tried to remove it have damaged their computers massively. Ive seen people who have pulled chipsets, ram modules and pins off various computer parts, often breaking their PCB… although you didn’t ask about compounds but I thought id include it anyways.
Make sure you get the brand name, don’t go generic cause they will charge you the same price but the stuff is SH!T! It contains no silver and just filler ingreidients… however, when I had to replace my mobo I had to put some generic stuff on it (which I thought was AS3)… I didn’t notice any tempature increase or decrease. When I went from generic stuff same thing. My temps have always been the same (35 idle, 55 loaded non Oced)
Hope this helps!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Bagger
Radeon R420

Bagger is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by snipper_cr

Arctic Silver 3 is great for low preasure devices such as a Radeon to heat sink transfer. Its very high in density of silver and contains a good amount of it. Its slightly conductive so make sure you don’t get it near circuits, just on the core.

How do you define slightly conductive.

I`v just put a small blob of artic silver ( admitidly artic silver 1 ) on a piece of paper And put in the probes of my Digital Multi Meter.
Guess the reading?? Yup absolutly squatt, diddly, zilch

My meter ranges from 0 Ohms all the way to 40 M Ohms And read Oc With the probes less than 1/4 mm apart

I do aggree though with the rest of what your saying, There is very little if any difference in cooling between the 3 pastes mentioned.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 10, 2004, 06:48 PM   #4
T07N
Long-time Member

T07N is still being judged by the masses

The newer the better, Arctic Silver 5 is probably the best thermal paste available right now.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:03 PM   #5
snipper_cr
Radeon R420

snipper_cr is still being judged by the masses

As far as the "slightly conductivity" im just going off the website.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:48 PM   #6
figs
Radeon R520

figs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagger
How do you define slightly conductive.

I`v just put a small blob of artic silver ( admitidly artic silver 1 ) on a piece of paper And put in the probes of my Digital Multi Meter.
Guess the reading?? Yup absolutly squatt, diddly, zilch

My meter ranges from 0 Ohms all the way to 40 M Ohms And read Oc With the probes less than 1/4 mm apart

I do aggree though with the rest of what your saying, There is very little if any difference in cooling between the 3 pastes mentioned.
maybe conductivity changes with temp? nah prolly not significantly...
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:31 AM   #7
BrainPiercing
Tseng Labs ET500

BrainPiercing is still being judged by the masses

I read in an instruction sheet by the company Arctic Cooling that for very smooth heatsink surfaces actually normal silicon thermal grease is best, because if applied VERY thinly it will make the best contact between the surfaces.

The metal particles in the AS thermal grease CAN actually make the contact between chip and HS worse, because they are much bigger than comparative silicon grease particles (which doesn't contain any hard particles).
IBM Deskstar 307030 30GB HD, Ultra ATA 100, 7200 RPM + WD something
60GB HD, Ultra ATA100, 7200 RPM + WD Caviar 120GB SATA133 7200RPM + Samsung 200GB Sata150 7200
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro STILL running 4.3 cats, and Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer
Onboard network cards; !!!Win98SE!!! (yes 200GB HDD on Win98 works fine :))
NEW: HP nx9420, T2400, x1600 256M, 1440x900, 1GB, 100GB HDD, XPPro.