Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thermal paste or thermal pads?

I've seen some now "thermal pads" that can be used instead of general thermal paste. I was wondering if anybody here knows more about them and if they work as well as a good thermal paste.

Thanks

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:30 PM   #2
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Paste. Always.

Thermal pads are usually thicker and transfer heat quite poorly, their only advantage being that they're very easy to apply without mess and often can act as an adhesive.

Thermal paste spreads thinner and transfers heat better, resulting in a much better thermal transfer. Even on stock coolers manufacturers have been including thermal paste instead of pads, pre applied in pad-like strips.

If you have a low heat application where ease of applying is more important than great efficiency in thermal transfer, they do the job. If you are concerned with performance, almost ANY thermal past will do better because it can be spread thinner.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

While we are on the subject what is you opinion on polishing the CPU's surface before applying the paste? Is this dangerous and does it work?

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:57 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

polishing != lapping

http://www.svc.com/article-lapping.html

I personally won't lap a proc; they cost too much to fubar. Others have lapped cpu IHS's with great success. I have lapped a HS, and it did help. Users of Thermalright Ultra 120's have reported great increases in thermal dissipation by lapping their TRU/TRUE 120's.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:24 PM   #5
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Hmm.... looks dangerous. Maybe I'll just forego it this time around. So which thermal paste should I use? Is that Ultra 120 the best to use these days? I haven't had a fully new rig since 2003.

Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

arctic silver 5
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:43 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Hmm.... looks dangerous. Maybe I'll just forego it this time around. So which thermal paste should I use? Is that Ultra 120 the best to use these days? I haven't had a fully new rig since 2003.
as5 for thermal paste, check the sticky at the top of the forum for info on which cpu cooler.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:51 PM   #8
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
While we are on the subject what is you opinion on polishing the CPU's surface before applying the paste? Is this dangerous and does it work?
Use lots of cotton and isopropyl alcohol. Make sure the surface is dry before applying the paste (use dry cotton).

Also, Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal paste IMO.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:54 PM   #9
genci88
lololololol

One question though: Does thermal paste expire?

Asking because I have a tube of AS5 that's almost 3 years old. Should I throw it away and buy another one?

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:18 PM   #10
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
One question though: Does thermal paste expire?

Asking because I have a tube of AS5 that's almost 3 years old. Should I throw it away and buy another one?
It will take more years than that to expire

Come on guys , AS5 is old news , AC MX-2 is the way to go , I bought both AS5 and MX-2 from e-bay for very good prices and tried both , my finding was : MX2 FTW!
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC 1.1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 30.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
minaelromany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:33 PM   #11
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

MX-2 here as well.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:08 PM   #12
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

OK, I found it on eBay for just under $10 shipped and bought some. Thanks all.

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:49 PM   #13
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
OK, I found it on eBay for just under $10 shipped and bought some. Thanks all.
Which ? AS5 or MX-2 ?

I bought AS5 for 6.5$ and MX-2 for 12$
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:44 PM   #14
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My 3.2GHz E6400 (with a 3.4Ghz max) says MX-2.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:24 PM   #15
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaelromany View Post
Which ? AS5 or MX-2 ?

I bought AS5 for 6.5$ and MX-2 for 12$
Oh, yeah it was the MX-2. I figured that it was the newest kid on the block, so I went for it. Hopefully its worth the hype.

Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:52 PM   #16
CR2500
Radeon Northern Islands

CR2500 is still being judged by the masses

Tests show MX-2 performs better by 1 or 2 Celcius.
The only downside is that it's harder to apply on the CPU (more viscous)

CR2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:58 PM   #17
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Its more runny? How much more... are there any tips on application I should use. How should I do this thing?

Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:19 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:20 PM   #19
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Its more runny? How much more... are there any tips on application I should use. How should I do this thing?
finger condom
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:57 PM   #20
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Do you use a square of cardboard and apply it like butter or do you really use a rubber glove? I haven't had to mess with this sort of thing since before Artic Silver was even invented.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 05:39 AM   #21
genci88
lololololol

I just put a small lump in the center of the cpu, which spreads evenly when I install the heatsink.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:25 AM   #22
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Quote:
Do you use a square of cardboard and apply it like butter or do you really use a rubber glove? I haven't had to mess with this sort of thing since before Artic Silver was even invented.
I rub a thin layer into the CPU's IHS and the cooler's surface, then mate them.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:11 PM   #23
CR2500
Radeon Northern Islands

If you do it correctly either way, there won't be any tangible difference.
Whats weird is Intel and Arctic Cooling recommend different ways to apply the paste.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:17 PM   #24
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

OK, so I spread it around a little and them press them together. But how much should I use? I don't want spill over, and this stuff is more runny than other brands. Any idea how much to use?

P.S. Thanks for all the help on a rather dry subject.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Quote:
OK, so I spread it around a little and them press them together. But how much should I use? I don't want spill over, and this stuff is more runny than other brands. Any idea how much to use?

As much as it needs! Anyway, I guess if I had to estimate, I would say it's about the BB size on both surfaces. Usually, when I remove the HS, I see a thin bit has squished out. but I'm ok with that.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:44 PM   #26
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:

I put 3 thin lines on the 3 copper pipes of the cooler's base
Seasonic X-850
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:04 PM   #27
CR2500
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
As much as it needs! .
How about as little as it needs?
Once you apply enough to fully mate the surfaces, more paste won't help with heat transfer.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:11 PM   #28
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
I would say it's about the BB size on both surfaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaelromany View Post
I put 3 thin lines on the 3 copper pipes of the cooler's base
Wait, so does it matter at all which surface you apply it to to start off? Wouldn't it be safer to butter it over the cooler's base and then squish them together?

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:26 PM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

less is more with thermal paste. read the link i posted above for a tested method for applying thermal pastes, please.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:30 AM   #30
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
less is more with thermal paste. read the link i posted above for a tested method for applying thermal pastes, please.
Its odd, of all the methods of spreading the paste he didn't mention the credit card method that I've seen people do on You Tube. Where you place a dot on the middle of the CPU (rather than the cooler) and use a card to spread it all around the contqact area as you would butter on bread. Is there an advantage to spreading it onto either the CPU or cooler? Which is better? Does it matter?

So my question is to spread or not to spread... and on which part, on the CPU or the cooler?

I saw this video, which seemed like a pretty good jon. It spreads it on the CPU using a card.

Last edited by FX-Overclocking : Nov 20, 2008 at 01:37 AM.