Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Default PC Gaming Sales - PC GAMING ALLIANCE HORIZONS REPORT

LEIPZIG, Germany - August 19, 2008 – The PC Gaming Alliance (PCGA) today unveiled the key findings from its first “Horizons” Report, an exclusive research study of the PC gaming industry worldwide. Speaking at the Games Convention Developer’s Conference in Leipzig, PCGA president Randy Stude announced that PC gaming was a $10.7 billion industry during the year of 2007, with retail sales accounting for just 30 percent of total revenues. According to the report, growth was largely driven by online revenues from Asia, the world’s largest market, which is approaching half of total worldwide sales.

Online PC gaming revenue led the way in 2007 with $4.8 billion, nearly double the worldwide retail sales numbers for PC games. Digital distribution sales approached $2 billion, while advertising revenues from websites, portals, and in-game ads accounted for $800 million. Both are expected to grow substantially as major developers and publishers begin to adopt formal strategies to take advantage of new online opportunities.

“Our analysis clearly shows incredible growth in online PC gaming, proof that this industry is far stronger than anyone has reported,” said Stude. “Today’s consumers shop where they live - online.”

According to DFC Intelligence, there is even more room for growth as the broadband market matures.

“By pioneering new business models, the PC has quietly remained the single leading platform for games, not only in terms of consumer usage, but revenue generation,” said David Cole, an analyst with DFC Intelligence. “The most fascinating thing about PC gaming is its ability to attract such a diverse audience, both demographically and geographically. The real key has been the rapid growth in penetration of broadband-connected PCs in all markets around the world. Broadband-connected PCs are the key driver of growth for PC gaming. DFC Intelligence estimated that by the end of 2007 less than one-third of households in the top 20 markets for games had a high-speed Internet connection. That clearly indicates that there is still plenty of growth to come. The initiatives of the PCGA will be a key enabler of growth as they will help the industry identify key trends and opportunities in this rapidly emerging market.”

Updated bi-annually, the full Horizons Report is available to all PCGA members. It encompasses sales from every region around the world, and from every part of the PC gaming industry compiled by the PCGA from internal resources through a third party. This includes retail, online gaming, digital distribution, and online advertising. Those interested in joining can find membership details and additional information about the PCGA and its role as the voice of the PC gaming industry at www.pcgamingalliance.org.

Anyone interested in the state of the PC gaming industry will also be able to see Randy Stude present the key findings of the Horizons report during NVISION 08 in San Jose, Calif. on August 25 in the San Jose Hilton adjacent to the convention center at 3:30 p.m. in San Carlos rooms 1 & 2. More NVISION details can be found at www.nvision2008.com.

do we have a PCGA member here that can post the report for every region?
thanks,
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:41 AM   #2
dude`

dude` is still being judged by the masses

Yeah I saw this.

Good news I think. I know a few game developers have been moving away from PC gaming towards consoles because they (wrongly) thought the market was declining.

Might put a different perspective on all of the piracy figures being thrown around too.
dude` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Croak
Non Multa Sed Multum

Croak is still being judged by the masses

Plain and simple, Triple-A console games generally cost less to make (especially if you're not a launch title and paying the price to learn the new hardware), take less time to make, fewer support issues, no compatability issues, have lower customer expectations, and therefore are more profitable.

That said, PC gaming ain't dead, it ain't dying, and there's still money to be made. I think you'll hear less doom and gloom about the PC gaming market in the future, as a lot of developers/publishers that jumped on the "easy money" console bandwagon start shifting resources back to PC.

PC gaming generally has more room for innovation, a huge knowledge base, and a lower barrier to entry for developers, so its still where you'll find the indy developers and cutting edge ideas.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

I think they can stop piracy completely by using a system like Steam or a one time internet activation for games where you can do over a website or something like that.

I will like to see what else Pc gaming alliance is going to do other than just releasing sales report though.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Oui
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Oui is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
I think they can stop piracy completely by using a system like Steam or a one time internet activation for games where you can do over a website or something like that.

I will like to see what else Pc gaming alliance is going to do other than just releasing sales report though.
All the singleplayer source engine games can be downloaded for free. "Activation" was bypassed long ago by the community which is a good thing because not everyone wants to bother with DRM-ware such as steam.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:47 AM   #6
xNaquada
Radeon Northern Islands

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

multiplayer too....
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Nitz Walsh
Radeon R700

Nitz Walsh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
All the singleplayer source engine games can be downloaded for free. "Activation" was bypassed long ago by the community which is a good thing because not everyone wants to bother with DRM-ware such as steam.
What "DRM-ware"? Steam is about as non-intrusive as you can get, if you don't want Steam then just buy the ****ing game.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 07:46 PM   #8
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
What "DRM-ware"? Steam is about as non-intrusive as you can get, if you don't want Steam then just buy the ****ing game.
I am confused as well, Steam doesn't have DRM- ware as far as I know.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:56 AM   #9
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Steam kicks ass,

I love the steamworks too, achievements etc.

It's sad how Valve did a better job with friend list, achievements etc better than Microsoft, and for free at that.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:53 AM   #10
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Steam kicks ass,

I love the steamworks too, achievements etc.

It's sad how Valve did a better job with friend list, achievements etc better than Microsoft, and for free at that.
If you consider 10 million users sad, well I just don't know what to tell ya man
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:57 AM   #11
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
If you consider 10 million users sad, well I just don't know what to tell ya man
Eh that makes no sense.

I said Valve did better than Microsoft at implementing a friends list/achievements etc on the PC.

Did I mention the users of said software?

Jesus christ you people on this forum like to read between lines.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:00 AM   #12
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well, usually doing a better job at something results in more users...
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:00 AM   #13
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Well, usually doing a better job at something results in more users...
Well steam wins again then.

Seeing as they reached 13million users last year.