Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Briner is still being judged by the masses

Default Old member back, need some PC build recommendations

Hello, I am an old member first joining in 2004. I used the site at the time to build my first ever PC. It was an Athlon 2500+ Radeon 9800Pro, 512MB of Ram. I was 24 at the time and never had a PC before. My last PC was in 2010. I have been using it ever since. However It has run its course and I need an upgrade. I no longer PC game so I do not need a super fast graphics card. In fact I would be fine with reusing my HD 5450. I have $280 in amazon gift cards and would like to keep the price to about $300.

My current PC.
AMD Athlon II X2 240
8 GB DDR2 PC3200
Radeon HD540 Graphics card
500 GB SATA HDD 7200RPM 2.5"
BLU-Ray Burner optical Drive
Antec Minuet 350 case (MicroATX )
Antec 350W Power supply (came with case)
Windows 10 Pro

This PC will be in an entertainment center under my 1080P TV. It will be used for web browsing and home theater use. Movies, streaming, music. The case only fits Micro ATX motherboards. The power supply is an Antec that came with the case. It has a 4 pin cpu power and 20 or 24 pin mainboard power. I no longer PC game. I may in the future need a new TV and at that point it will be a 4K TV. I Do want to stream SNES and NES games to twitch and youtube. This is my main reason for upgrading as my PC can not handle it.

I would like to reuse; Case, Power supply, Hard Drive, Blu-Ray Drive

Can you all recommend a build at $300 for me? Thanks

Last edited by Briner : Mar 30, 2021 at 09:03 AM.
Briner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Welcome back!

Have you considered a small form factor system like an Intel NUC? It seems more suited for your needs.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Thank You I have not. I just only just started looking at new PC parts yesterday. And it was all AMD. If you recommend the Intel NUC I will look into it. I never heard of a lot of the new terms I am seeing now. I do need to be able to stream my old SNES and NES consoles to twitch and youtube. My current PC can not handle this or my internet can not one or the other. so I gues I should revise my original post.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 30, 2021, 09:17 AM   #4
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briner View Post
Thank You I have not. I just only just started looking at new PC parts yesterday. And it was all AMD. If you recommend the Intel NUC I will look into it. I never heard of a lot of the new terms I am seeing now. I do need to be able to stream my old SNES and NES consoles to twitch and youtube. My current PC can not handle this or my internet can not one or the other. so I gues I should revise my original post.
What's your internet speed? If you have a slow connection, a better/faster PC likely won't help.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 09:40 AM   #5
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

My Internet is 200 Mbps Down 5 Mbps Up. I have been having bad connection problems lately and I think it is my cable modem and router. It is a Docsis 3.0 modem and Comcast used newer Docsis 3.1 modems. I ordered a new one from Comcast to see if this helps my connection problems. If it does you are right I may not need a new PC after all. So I should just probably wait and see.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:20 AM   #6
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Im impressed you can decode modern 1080p streams on that pc. Any issues at all?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 03:52 PM   #7
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Yes, When I watch YouTube or twitch I usually watch at 480p otherwise. the video freezes and all I hear is the audio. When I tried to stream It was very stuttery It would play and then stop and play. OBS gave me an encoding overload message.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

youtube at 480p? ouch....

And another vote for the NUC. A friend has one and is praising it all the time.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 04:32 PM   #9
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Yeah, to get a consistent video stream I set it to 480P otherwise sometimes it does not load. I just got my new Comcast Modem/Router installed and did a speed test I got 114Mbps Down 4.5 Mbps. With my old modem router I got 75 Mbps Down 5 Up. My advertised paid for speed is 100Mbps Down (not 200Mbps) and 5 Mbps Up. So that's good. The new modem has 24 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels compared to my old modems 4 Downstream channels and 4 upstream. I tried some twitch and Youtube and I still can not stream 720P or 1080P video smoothly.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 05:04 PM   #10
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Those speeds should allow you to do 4k....

I dunno what is with xfinity, some days I can do Youtube 1440p easily and others it will slowly throttle down to 720p. I don't do 4k since I only have a 27" screen and anything more than 1440p gets to be a waste of bandwidth.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:07 PM   #11
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

If that's what you need, I'd consider looking at used Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny PCs on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...slim&_osacat=0

They are very small so they will fit in your media center no problems, and they should have more than enough power for your limited application. Although a used model will be a few years old, they should still be powerful enough for your needs. You can't build or buy a new compact PC for anywhere near the price of these used ThinkCentre Tinys.

You could also get an Asrock Deskmini, but they ship bare bones so you'd have to buy memory, storage and processor for them. You can buy a used Think Centre Tiny (granted an older/lower end model) for less than the price of a CPU to put in the Deskmini.

Intel NUC is an option others have suggested, but frankly they are a bit pricey compared to the alternatives.

If you want to entertain the Deskmini route I can make some more suggestions regarding the components.

Last edited by Nagorak : Mar 30, 2021 at 08:13 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:38 AM   #12
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I don't know if you want to watch SNES on twitch, or you directly stream on twitch yourself.

If you want to stream onto twitch you're going to need faster connection that 5Mbps up, even if it's SNES/NES.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 04:07 PM   #13
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I don't know if you want to watch SNES on twitch, or you directly stream on twitch yourself.

If you want to stream onto twitch you're going to need faster connection that 5Mbps up, even if it's SNES/NES.

I was going to stream retro games on Twitch. I was afraid that my connection upload was not fast enough for that. I have tried it in the past and it was always bad. I may just not upgrade at all until I get better internet. I looked in my storage and found my old Phenom II X4 950. I did not use it in this pc because it was 125 watts and produced a lot of heat in my antec case and I wanted it to be quiet.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 07:15 PM   #14
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

After tweaking some settings in OBS. I can now stram smoothly. I have to stream at 480P but that is fine for NES and SNES games. So I do not have to upgrade. Thank you all for your input.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 08:39 PM   #15
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If you're willing to indulge the urge of building a new computer, you may want to consider an APU-based system.

Though the NUCs that were suggested above would be an awesome solution for you. They're awesome in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote