Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default What can change the nature of a man?

Quote:
OPPOSABLE THUMBS / GAMING & ENTERTAINMENT

Planescape: Torment sequel finally in the works

Original designer moving forward with a follow-up to the groundbreaking PC RPG.

by Kyle Orland - Dec 3 2012, 7:33pm FLEST
CLASSIC GAMING PC GAMING
Fans have been waiting nearly 13 years for an official sequel to Black Isle Studios' Planescape: Torment, the groundbreaking PC RPG that turned many of the genre's conventions on their heads. Now, it seems that sequel is finally set to move forward, with Torment designer Colin McComb once again asking "What can change the nature of a man?".

Speculation about the project started in earnest after McComb—who has also worked on Fallout: New Vegas and the recently Kickstarted Wasteland 2—recently penned a long blog post reflecting on his time working on Torment and speculating on what could be done with a sequel.

"The first step in designing a new Torment story is to ask the primary question," he wrote. "I’m older than I was when I worked on Torment, and my questions now are different than they were. I have children now, and I look at the world through their eyes and through mine, and that’s changed me—in fact, the intervening years have changed me so much that I have new answers for the central story in the original Torment. So now that I know what can change the nature of a man, I ask: What does one life matter?... and does it matter at all?"

All this thinking about a sequel led McComb to reach out to Torment lead designer Chris Avellone, and the pair discussed how a sequel would be possible without the interference of rights-holder Wizards of the Coast. "We both agreed that Planescape was not the best route for us to take anyway, due to the mechanical issues and editorial oversight WotC would want," McComb told Eurogamer. In other words, the new title will be a Torment game, but without the Planescape setting controlled by WotC. McComb said he then asked for and received Avellone's explicit blessing to work on the Torment sequel he has been envisioning, while Avellone continues to focus on the highly anticipated Project Eternity.

Meanwhile, a trademark application for the name "Torment" has popped up on the USPTO website in reference to "providing online downloadable computer and video game programs" and "providing temporary use of online non-downloadable computer and video games." The trademark was filed back in May by Roxy Friday, a company controlled by Black Isle Studios' Brian Fargo, who has used it to register other game-related trademarks in the past.

"There are many other pieces to the pie on this project that I can't speak to yet which prevents me from much comment," Fargo told Eurogamer. "I need to get the other elements in order so you can fully understand the detail, team, approach and reasoning first. There will lots of pleasant surprises but I had not planned on talking about it yet."
Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...-in-the-works/

daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

O
M
G

Now that I can breath again, I'm very excited about a sequel (or at least a game with the same game design) even though I have my hopes so high that I'm bound to get disappointed. And how I wish I could work on that project, even though I'm miles away from working with games.
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yceman View Post
O
M
G

Now that I can breath again, I'm very excited about a sequel (or at least a game with the same game design) even though I have my hopes so high that I'm bound to get disappointed. And how I wish I could work on that project, even though I'm miles away from working with games.
Can't Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:23 AM   #4
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Still haven't played Torment of Planescape.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Still haven't played Torment of Planescape.
I have a feeling you wouldn't like it (now) but i can be wrong.

---

Awesome news, never thought there would be a second part of this fantastic game. I'm a bit torn between what's the result of this project will be. It could be another instant classic - but it also could totally destroy a lot of fond memories, time will tell, i guess.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Dengin
Rage3D Veteran

Dengin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDengin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Holy mother of crabcakes, this could be so epic...
I saw a guy play PS:T in front of me on a plane last year. I recognized it instantly.
FFS bring back FFG.
Dengin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Release it before I'm 60 please...sounds interesting...
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Man, these revivals of old school games excite me for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote