Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jun 17, 2021, 09:29 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Never a fan of plastic pieces that are flimsy, but I guess the alternative is something metal, and that would be weird to have a metal cup holder lol.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2021, 01:11 PM   #32
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Dude you have to print a new license plate frame next. That car is a gleaming work of art. A dealer's plate frame on that is criminal.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2021, 01:47 PM   #33
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Dude you have to print a new license plate frame next. That car is a gleaming work of art. A dealer's plate frame on that is criminal.
I'm actually likely just going to put a silicone "frame" on, so it doesn't rub through the paint on the bumper. Not really bothering with it right now till the license plate comes in.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 17, 2021, 02:20 PM   #34
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Gonna be a busy weekend. Friday I get my track tires put on my spare wheels, Saturday morning I get the UV protective film put on the front windshield, then when I get home in the afternoon I'll be mounting the track tires and installing the OEM strut bar setup in prep for autocross on Saturday.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:55 PM   #35
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Love the new ride man, my mother in law has one -- super fun car.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 07:22 AM   #36
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Love the new ride man, my mother in law has one -- super fun car.

Thanks Thought you might hate it given previous stances on convertibles Though the RF is a different breed from a standard convertible.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 09:29 AM   #37
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Thanks Thought you might hate it given previous stances on convertibles Though the RF is a different breed from a standard convertible.
nah not at all -- those little cars are so fun to drive, difficult to appreciate unless you have driven one.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 01:37 PM   #38
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Installed my dual dash cam today, though won't mount the front windshield cam till tomorrow after I get the UV film installed on the front windshield.

Also mounted my track wheels. These are wrapped in Bridgestone RE71R's, 215/45R17.

Love how it looks with black wheels, they really work for the color.

Here's a quick video of some turns I took after putting the tires on. The grip on them is unreal, I wouldn't be surprised if I lift a tire before I lose traction.

https://youtu.be/KsKRqHmsHzU
Old Jun 19, 2021, 07:00 AM   #39
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I love that Black/Grey look.

Glad you got a toy you're really enjoying
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:38 AM   #40
Elysian
SCAATSJW

UV film installed first thing this morning, my Weathertech sun shade is delivering today. Should help a ton with the SMB3 Angry Sun we have here in Texas.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 06:27 PM   #41
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Winding down from the first autocross event, had no idea how the car would be going in, but learned a lot. Went faster every run but I think the 4th one. Only got 5 runs unfortunately, and completely spaced turning traction control off the entire day. Still had fun, but have a lot to learn about the car. Still feel like I did okay for only having driven the car the last week and a half. The RE71R's are absolutely brilliant.

Pic:

The course was really frustrating, and after the event I checked how many DNF's there were, turned out there were 60 runs that didn't finish. Just bad course design, IMO.

Here's my map of the course, tracked it using Google Fit:

Was 0.41mi. Here's my fastest run. I lost it on the last turn, but still had some good moments. Trying to get used to driving 10 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHQp...annel=AdamBath

I had two instructors ride with me on my 2nd and 3rd run, got some pointers that helped me run faster. I placed 11th in Novice class, out of 45 entrants.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 08:29 AM   #42
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I had two instructors ride with me on my 2nd and 3rd run, got some pointers that helped me run faster. I placed 11th in Novice class, out of 45 entrants.
That's quite impressive, congrats.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:34 AM   #43
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
That's quite impressive, congrats.
+1

Looks like a rush
Old Jun 23, 2021, 06:22 PM   #44
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Limited slip diff arrived. Wish me luck rebuilding the stock open diff

Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:33 AM   #45
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got it aligned this morning. Haven't put enough miles on it to have an idea of how it feels, and probably won't fully know till the next autocross on July 10.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 03:23 PM   #46
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Went deep on the Miata today, swapped the open diff out for an OEM limited slip. Literally dropped right in, the shims/spacers were perfect, backlash was perfect.

Also replaced my stock shifter with a larger one from Sickspeed.

The diff completely transformed the car. I test drove it initially at low speeds, made sure there weren't any strange noises or issues, then I went on a 2nd test drive and whipped it around a bit. Diff locks up great, got some fun skids in on backroads. Can't wait for autocross on the 10th. Car is going to be so much better.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 06:58 PM   #47
Lazy8s
One day at a time

So none of the potential problems you were concerned about, nice. Gotta love it when things go right the first time.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 06:52 AM   #48
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Picked up a 2020 VW Jetta R-Line for $24k out the door with 20miles for my GF. This thing is great! I want a VW now
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2021, 08:31 AM   #49
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Folding@home

Love what you're doing with the Miata Elysian.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:03 PM   #50
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Damn that looks like fun. Taught my sis to drive stick long time ago and she never went with an automatic. Not long after I went with automatics... Kinda miss it.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2021, 09:26 PM   #51
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Are the doggos allowed to ride in it?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 09:30 PM   #52
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
Are the doggos allowed to ride in it?
They're way too big.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 04:13 PM   #53
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got a replacement steering wheel. The feel of the stock wheel always felt lame to me, it's pretty skinny, the profile of the wheel is round, and the hand grips seem like an afterthought. Here's the original wheel:

The new wheel comes from a Fiat 124 Spider. Those cars are a Miata underneath, so the wheel is the exact same center section, but the profile of the wheel is completely different and the grips are MUCH better. New wheel feels so much better in my hands, and is much more comfortable when holding 10 and 2.

Here it is, in the car:

So I've got 3 more mods left to do on the car and then I'm probably done. I need to upgrade the front sway bar, and I need to install the optional Bilstein dampers that came with the GT-S package that I've been building. Then my car will be as good as it possibly can be while staying in SCCA C Street class, and the only upgrade I can make is to the driver. Third thing I will be doing is a smart top solution, there's one coming out soon that can lower the hard top with the key fob, as well as lower the windows, and allow me to lower the top at up to 30mph instead of 6mph.

Last edited by Elysian : Jul 9, 2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 04:06 PM   #54
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Had another autocross today... Started out the morning with my windshield developing a crack, which has spread quite a bit since these pics:

There was a ding that was roughly 1mm that caused the whole thing, had no idea it was there, it must have happened after I washed the car yesterday.

Anyways, here's a pic of the car before the autocross:

And after:

Started pouring in the middle of my heat, I got 2 dry runs in before everything went to hell. Still had a fun time, got to really feel the car out in the wet as well. My best wet time was actually better than my best dry time, but only because I had 4 wet runs to 2 dry runs, and my fastest dry one I hit a cone.

The video of my last run is corrupted for some reason, so I don't have video from the event today. Placed 88th overall out of 125, and 10th out of 31 novices.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 05:55 PM   #55
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Is the windshield covered under warranty?

Sucks

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2021, 09:19 PM   #56
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Is the windshield covered under warranty?

Sucks
Highly doubtful, there's an obvious rock chip. The chip is like 5mm from the plastic cowl too, just unfortunate.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 01:28 PM   #57
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the appointment for windshield replacement scheduled for the 23rd.

Also had someone reach out on the Miata board, they have the Bilsteins I need to complete the GT-S package, so bought those today. Should be here by the weekend I think, or early next week.

Coolest part? They're shocks, not struts, all the way around so I can swap them without screwing up the alignment.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 03:35 PM   #58
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Acquired the OEM Bilsteins this week, just finished installing them. Verdict is they're very nice. Car handles a bit better, gives a little more oversteer, and seems to stay flatter in turns. With that, I've upgraded my car to have the full GT-S package.

There's an autocross event on the 25th, will be fun to be able to test out the car.

Last edited by Elysian : Jul 17, 2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 02:58 PM   #59
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Went to a Miata meet/cruise this morning. Had a pretty good turnout, 14 cars, 13 of them Miatas.