Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 28, 2021, 08:51 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Was bored checked out Marques Brownlee's video on the truck and the 300 mile range is with 1000lbs of stuff in it. According to him if there's nothing in it then the range is closer to 360 (this is the model with the bigger battery). What got me is there's a drain hole in the frunk (which can supposedly hold two golf bags) so you could dump a whole bunch of ice into a section of it and use it as a cooler.

Anyways I can't picture myself parking something this big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2npVg9ONFo

dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2021, 09:01 AM   #32
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That range, loaded yet, is pretty impressive. So props for that, but I can't get past the looks. The Cyber truck is ugly too, but at least it tries for something radically different.

If I'm plonking down north of 40 grand I want it to at least look decent.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2021, 01:21 PM   #33
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Was bored checked out Marques Brownlee's video on the truck and the 300 mile range is with 1000lbs of stuff in it. According to him if there's nothing in it then the range is closer to 360 (this is the model with the bigger battery). What got me is there's a drain hole in the frunk (which can supposedly hold two golf bags) so you could dump a whole bunch of ice into a section of it and use it as a cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2npVg9ONFo

That power inverter function is pretty sweet. Now if they are used as fleet trucks, you could can send out another truck to charge it up enough to get back. Which sounds like not a big deal at first, but this is the sorta thing you would do in an out of gas situation. So that's pretty awesome imho. You could also use this truck to rescue any other EV fleet vehicle the same way.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 28, 2021, 06:25 PM   #34
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
That power inverter function is pretty sweet. Now if they are used as fleet trucks, you could can send out another truck to charge it up enough to get back. Which sounds like not a big deal at first, but this is the sorta thing you would do in an out of gas situation. So that's pretty awesome imho. You could also use this truck to rescue any other EV fleet vehicle the same way.
Can power the house for a couple days

I'm already invested in a lot of batteries/inverters/solar/generators - it would be sweet to just plug the truck in to a transfer switch during blackouts or hook up to it while out camping
Old May 28, 2021, 06:29 PM   #35
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
lol just gotta pick your spots somewhere away from the crowd

And F150's are cake compared to others I've parked like F350 supercrew dualies
Old May 28, 2021, 06:44 PM   #36
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Can power the house for a couple days

I'm already invested in a lot of batteries/inverters/solar/generators - it would be sweet to just plug the truck in to a transfer switch during blackouts or hook up to it while out camping
Now that would be nice, really nice.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2021, 11:55 PM   #37
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I saw the MB review and he did a good job of explaining stuff. I quite like the truck. Definitely much more practical than a Cyber truck. However, buying a first gen EV is not for faint of heart.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2021, 07:54 AM   #38
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The video seems to have gotten quite a bit of press on the range assumption. Until Ford comes out with official specs on the battery I'd take it with a grain of salt. Its a preproduction unit that has really only seen parking lots on press events so the computer thinks it'll never face wind resistence. Folk have been doing napkin calculations based on the 44min fast charge to 80% and while 300 is certainly doable unloaded the math doesn't seem to come close to the bigger numbers in the video. While Ford may have good reason to underestimate the range I doubt they'd be that wildly off.

We really need to settle on a single charging connector so builders can start building homes with these bi-directional chargers as a standard option. Even if you don't have solar an EV could still let you play on-peak/off peak arbitrage with whatever capacity you didn't use driving as well as serve as whole house battery backup.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2021, 09:33 AM   #39
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

All new houses have to have 220 charging ports in them in my county now. I found that interesting considering there isn't a standard out now for chargers. Buddy of mine is building a new house now, so I will get to see first hand what this new requirement actually is. I'm guessing they just require a dedicated 220V run into the garage somewhere.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2021, 05:01 PM   #40
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

It's usually just a dedicated line to a garage. Which isn't a hard thing to do. Already use 220V/240V for Kitchen and Laundry Room appliances.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2021, 10:57 PM   #41
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
It's usually just a dedicated line to a garage. Which isn't a hard thing to do. Already use 220V/240V for Kitchen and Laundry Room appliances.
They charged him $700 to do it.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote