Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
lukebuz
I'm Mad!!!!!

lukebuz is still being judged by the masses

Angry Why Don't My Video Card Drivers Control My Video Card Fan?!?!?

I mean, WTF....
ATI makes a video card with a controlable fan and temp monitor, and etc....
BUT THEY DON'T PROVIDE A WAY TO CONTROL OR SET IT?!?!?

Ok, rant over....unless I'm missing something - ATI Offical Catalyst doesn't have fan or temp settings/control? But a zillion crappy little programs do?!?

For reference, Sapphire X800GTO AGP...

Am I doing something wrong, or am I so right that it just makes me grind my teeth?!

Can't believe they'd stiff us Silent PC users...do we really need a card running at 75% fan when 20% is great for 2D use?
lukebuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

ATI Tray Tools.
It rules download it.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:35 PM   #3
lukebuz
I'm Mad!!!!!

That's just it - I don't want to use a little program to control my fan.

Are there any registry settings I can tweak??
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Breathe...

And no, no videocard will give you the possibility to tune the fan speeds.
Use ATT or keep the current settings, which work fine for stock speeds.
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:01 AM   #5
lukebuz
I'm Mad!!!!!

No wonder I hang in OT - you guys are way to lax in your expectations....
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6
overcast
Radeon R300

overcast is still being judged by the masses

My x1900xtx runs at 27% fan speed in 2D and is unnoticeable. And I am a serious noise nazi. If your fan is running 75% in 2D then you have poor cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebuz
I mean, WTF....
ATI makes a video card with a controlable fan and temp monitor, and etc....
BUT THEY DON'T PROVIDE A WAY TO CONTROL OR SET IT?!?!?

Ok, rant over....unless I'm missing something - ATI Offical Catalyst doesn't have fan or temp settings/control? But a zillion crappy little programs do?!?

For reference, Sapphire X800GTO AGP...

Am I doing something wrong, or am I so right that it just makes me grind my teeth?!

Can't believe they'd stiff us Silent PC users...do we really need a card running at 75% fan when 20% is great for 2D use?
overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebuz
No wonder I hang in OT - you guys are way to lax in your expectations....
I expect my card not to burst into flames when running, that is all.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Those things are controlled in hardware, like in the BIOS of the video card. Thats why we use the third party tools (that are given access to the lower functions of your machine) to control such things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:54 PM   #9
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

Monrad is still being judged by the masses

I think he has a point. Maybe some people doesn't have a problem with their cards running @ 55şC when idling. But that temperature shortens GPU life. It's not a bad idea to have an option in CCC to control fan speed.

Personally, I keep my fan @ 100% all the time. I live in a country with hot summers and that's why ATI should think wise. Their video cards are being sold everywhere, not only in Canada and north pole.
"As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade." -- Bill Gates, Chairman, Microsoft Corp, 1998.

I guess he didn't realize that knowledge is needed in order to "figure out how to collect"
Monrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 06:12 AM   #10
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
Those things are controlled in hardware, like in the BIOS of the video card. Thats why we use the third party tools (that are given access to the lower functions of your machine) to control such things.
But if you CAN control the fans via software, his point was : why hasnt ATI given us the option to do so. Once again ATI makes its customers turn to 3rd party applications to control the features of the product they make.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 06:14 AM   #11
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrad
I think he has a point. Maybe some people doesn't have a problem with their cards running @ 55ºC when idling. But that temperature shortens GPU life. It's not a bad idea to have an option in CCC to control fan speed.

Personally, I keep my fan @ 100% all the time. I live in a country with hot summers and that's why ATI should think wise. Their video cards are being sold everywhere, not only in Canada and north pole.
They have temperature sensors. -_- They already have fan control built in, so your point is moot. This thread is about ATI not giving us the ability to modify the settings of the already present fan control.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:53 AM   #12
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phial
They have temperature sensors. -_- They already have fan control built in, so your point is moot. This thread is about ATI not giving us the ability to modify the settings of the already present fan control.
Did you actually read my post? Oh, they have temp sensors... I can see how my card is very hot and I can do nothing about it. This is not my case because I use ATT, but how many people knows ATT exists?

What I said in my post, with different words, is that ATI doesn't let you control the fan speed and it'd be great to have that option in CCC. And that's what the thread is about, don't you think?
"As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade." -- Bill Gates, Chairman, Microsoft Corp, 1998.

I guess he didn't realize that knowledge is needed in order to "figure out how to collect"
Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:16 PM   #13
Sand-Man
Tri Fire 390X

Sand-Man is still being judged by the masses

Agree.Give us control up to the default point.
Sand-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:20 PM   #14
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Subscriber

So that the unexperienced user can screw up the card? NO!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:26 PM   #15
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
So that the unexperienced user can screw up the card? NO!
It's not like that Pr()ZaC, the idea is to have the fan running faster than usual. There's no way to screw up the card like that.

I think what everyone is trying to say here is that they want more speed to keep their cards cooler, not the opposite.

Old Apr 3, 2006, 04:37 PM   #16
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Subscriber

That's the beauty of free software
Old Apr 3, 2006, 04:46 PM   #17
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

I imagine ATI chose to run their fans @ low speed not to be bashed by reviewers about noise Who cares about noise? You're buying a gaming video card. Noise can help you remember that the video card is in there up and running

Something like:

-Do you hear that noise?
-Yep, that's my X1900XTX

Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:04 PM   #18
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

There is a secondary argument. Sure if you live in a hot country and your card is idling at 50-60C then that cant be good.
However if then you are forced to run the fan at higher speeds constantly in order to keep the card cool, what are the chances of the fan failing through over-use?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:07 PM   #19
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

I think if the fan works ok, it should work without issues @ 100% all the time.

However, if the fan fails, I can always change the fan for a new one. If the core dies, I can't replace it any more.

Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:40 AM   #20
Falcon1
Free Bird

Falcon1 is still being judged by the masses

Imagine all that fools who don't know what they are dooing and turning down the Fan speed in the drivers and ruining their card... With the options in the control menue, it's not the users fault anymore... See the problem!?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:41 AM   #21
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon1
Imagine all that fools who don't know what they are dooing and turning down the Fan speed in the drivers and ruining their card... With the options in the control menue, it's not the users fault anymore... See the problem!?

I could see giving the ability to increase fan speeds above the automated setting, but not allowing the lowering of the fan speed. That should avoid the problems with noobs smoking their cards.

However that wouldn't please the guy who started this thread.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:14 AM   #22
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

I guess I was wrong, I thought the guy wanted to increase fan speed.

Ok, my opinion is there and I should add that if you want a silent PC, you should get a watercooling kit.

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:18 PM   #23
Sand-Man
Tri Fire 390X

Sand-Man is still being judged by the masses

ristogod....you hit the nail on the head.
Sand-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:23 PM   #24
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

What happens if the fan fails, does this happen at all? What if the fan just stops working through over use?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:29 PM   #25
Monrad
Immune to NV PR BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0}
What happens if the fan fails, does this happen at all? What if the fan just stops working through over use?
Let's see what happens... wait...

*me stops video card fan

Alleigkt, tje fan stp``ed amd noq my vodep card is svrewd. I cam0t see what Om wtitting.

j/k Mmmhh... I think it fries.