Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old May 22, 2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nvidia to buy RayScale, a ray tracing developing company

Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 06:50 PM   #2
razor1
Radeon Arctic Islands

razor1 is still being judged by the masses

please like when they bought mental ray, ya know thats a raytrace renderer too.

They never spewed garbage out either. Raytracing is not feesible for all situations in real time right now that is fact, if it takes 45 mins to render one frame with FG and GI on a dual quad core 3.0 ghz system then to do that in real time we would need a system that is 81000 times faster then those CPU's. We won't have that for along time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guy View Post
What exactly do you think would happen if you *did* connect a large load? The arrival of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Contrast that with the GT300 approach. There is no dedicated tesselator, and if you use that DX11 feature, it will take large amounts of shader time, used inefficiently as is the case with general purpose hardware. You will then need the same shaders again to render the triangles. 250K to 1 Million triangles on the GT300 should be notably slower than straight 1 Million triangles.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137331/a-look-nvidia-gt300-architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corum Jhaelen Irsei View Post
and you tell me I am in for a suprise? It is the FX; Late, hot, needing insane clock rates for its size. You have yet to show even one of my posts wrong.
razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm not one of the ray tracing is the tomorrow fanatics either. So don't get me wrong. What I do see is hybrid approches in the future.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2008, 07:36 PM   #4
razor1
Radeon Arctic Islands

razor1 is still being judged by the masses

hybrid approaches are already being used but its going to take a very long time for anything close to what we see texture based approaches we use today to do them with raytracing.

I wouldn't be suprised if this is for building an off line raytracer for 3d modellers on a GPU instead of a CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guy View Post
What exactly do you think would happen if you *did* connect a large load? The arrival of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Contrast that with the GT300 approach. There is no dedicated tesselator, and if you use that DX11 feature, it will take large amounts of shader time, used inefficiently as is the case with general purpose hardware. You will then need the same shaders again to render the triangles. 250K to 1 Million triangles on the GT300 should be notably slower than straight 1 Million triangles.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137331/a-look-nvidia-gt300-architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corum Jhaelen Irsei View Post
and you tell me I am in for a suprise? It is the FX; Late, hot, needing insane clock rates for its size. You have yet to show even one of my posts wrong.
razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAo View Post
I heard nvidia formed a new ray tracing group a few months ago and as I already pointed out in another post Phillip Slusallek is now working for them.
Interesting...
Old May 22, 2008, 07:47 PM   #6
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Nice find, S_C.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 08:24 PM   #7
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

Uhh Nvidia actually supports raytracing. Just not as a sole source of rendering. Hybrid styles of raster/ray where raytracing does specific expensive effects.

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Jesus, nvidia is snatching up companies alot lately, wow
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 12:11 PM   #9
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

so is nvidia mad at intel?
Old May 27, 2008, 12:24 PM   #10
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynakedrat2 View Post
so is nvidia mad at intel?
Well they dont agree with abandoning rasterising entirely for raytracing for realtime 3d graphics.
You can use both, just as in for example Maya Software renderer, its a rasterizer but you can do raytraced shadows and stuff like that, reflections.

This aquisition might be aiming at the workstation segment tho, as already mentioned they bought Mental Images that make the popular Mental Ray renderer that plugs into most 3d packages.
Im assuming they are gonna put in CUDA support to offload parts of the render process to a DX10 GPU, should really speed things up with modern GPUs seing how parallell they are and what high clocks the SP units run.

Rayscale isnt really doing any realtime raytracing by the look of it, their software is a plugin for Maya, interactive rendering but still, that prolly just mean you can update certain aspects of the rendering at will.
So Im guessing NV wants to tie CUDA into that aswell, all to make the Quadros more attractive on that market I spose.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:57 PM   #11
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

I really do not think Intel's aim is to replace raster either completely. But go a hybrid approach. Developers simply arent ready for full blown raytracing. Nor do they event want it.

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 05:07 PM   #12
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
I really do not think Intel's aim is to replace raster either completely. But go a hybrid approach. Developers simply arent ready for full blown raytracing. Nor do they event want it.
Yeah in reality they arent expecting everyone to jump over to full raytracing overnight, hardware, APIs and game engines in one go.
The hybrid approach which is what offline rendering is doing today, is the only realistic way to go really and as you say they must be well aware of this.

They way they came out touting raytracing as the future prolly made it sound a bit like they intended to move over entirely, rather then have it as another tool in the toolbox of realtime graphics.
And possibly they wanted people to get that impression, since Intel + GPU leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, but when they claim to "reinvent" realtime graphics with a rendering method more accociated with CPU:s, IE their domain, saying rasterizing has reached its limits and all that jazz, It makes you thing of something other then the crapfest ultra lowend GPUs they´ve poluted the market with to date.
Old May 28, 2008, 07:14 AM   #13
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Anth, I'm glad you saved me the trouble of deleting those last two posts.
Old May 28, 2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, Im not even going to get into the AMD bias BS.
3007WFP-HC
Anth Seebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 06:45 AM   #15
acroig
Troll SMod