Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 10, 2020, 05:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Ryzen 5000 series overclocking guide

So I got a new 5600X since my 5900X is lost somewhere in transit.

Anyways, I am trying to overclock this mofo but it is really annoying af.
Most likely I got a shite chip is what I think has happened. I can't seem to get it running stable at 4.85 Gs. I tried OC using PBO and also manual.

So what else can I try. Also my Cinebench R20 scores are crap.

SC is 510 (my 8086K tuned was 550) - should be 610
MC is 3650 (my 8086K tuned was 3450) - should be 4700

What gives? How much voltage should be enough for this puppy?

Last edited by KAC : Dec 10, 2020 at 05:37 AM.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:12 AM   #2
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ok clocked it at 4.7 Gs with 1.35 volts. Infinity fabric at 1900 and DDR4 at 3800.
Honestly this upgrade is completely worthless. Ran WDL bench and scored 3 FPS lower than my 8086K. Albeit with newer drivers and a patch but seriously wtf?

Also CPU routinely runs at 85C temps.

Scratch that, crashed on HZD bench. Seriously.

Back to PBO that pushes proc to 4.65 Gs. Also still have infinity to 1900 and DDR4 to 3800. Next up will see what ram timings I can tighten.

I give this upgrade a useless endeavor / 10. lol.

Last edited by KAC : Dec 10, 2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

I believe your better off letting it do it’s thing, there is little to gain with Ryzen overclocking.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:52 AM   #4
KAC
It might be gays!

Yes I just let it to PBO for now. Will play some more tonight but running full blast 4.7 Gs wasn’t stable and requiring too much volts raising temps to 85C whereas on normal usage it stays around 75 C even with PBO.

I think I got a garbage chip tbh. Benches are great for real bench and only slightly better for Cinebench but otherwise gaming is exactly the same. I am not even getting the 5 FPS I hoped.

WDL is a whopping 1 FPS higher.
SOTTR is a whopping 5 FPS higher.
HZD is exactly the same.

Downloading some AMD games like BL3, FC5, FCND and ACO to see if there is something there.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 07:17 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wow it's almost exactly how multiple people TOLD YOU it would be
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 07:18 AM   #6
KAC
It might be gays!

Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:18 AM   #7
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Wow it's almost exactly how multiple people TOLD YOU it would be
SMH..... you'd think he'd listen by now.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:17 AM   #8
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I think I got a garbage chip tbh. Benches are great for real bench and only slightly better for Cinebench but otherwise gaming is exactly the same. I am not even getting the 5 FPS I hoped.
Is this the part I come in and tell you I TOLD YOU SO!!!?

Consider it done, should have kept your 8086K and put the $ toward the 3080Ti.

yoz
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Make sure to retest your performance benchmarks since you lowered voltage to 1.3. With my Zen 2 CPU when i lowered voltage to make it run cooler it also lost some performance. In the end after lots of testing i ended up just using a negative offset of -0.048. That was the lowest i could go on the voltage before Cinebench score started to suffer.

Don't worry about it running at close to 1.5v. It worried me at first too but that is normal operating voltage for Ryzen. I spent a good amount of time reading up on that.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:39 AM   #10
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Every ryzen I've had is all over the place constantly even at idle on voltage and temps spiking and drooping. Unless I shut off CPB, this is the outcome. I'm on a 280mm aio and this 5950x idles in the 40s and 50s, and it doesn't stay still for long either.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:00 AM   #11
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
There is not much fun in trying to do anything. Everything practically leads to lower results
Yep, this has been the consensus with Ryzen tweaking for over a year now, and mentioned many times by Ryzen users on this forum. But you needed to see for yourself i guess.

It does seem like a pointless side grade for you. But if you enjoy playing with new hardware as a hobby thats cool, and if not i really don't understand why you don't just figure out the results before going through all this by doing your research. I'm sure it'll only be a few months until you do it all again with the Intel RKL launch lol.

My suggestion, rather than always being lured by new hardware and chasing extra 1-5 fps, make your upgrade decisions based on whether or not your current system is still giving you the performance you need. I'm willing to bet your previous system was still more than capable.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:22 AM   #12
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Yep, this has been the consensus with Ryzen tweaking for over a year now, and mentioned many times by Ryzen users on this forum. But you needed to see for yourself i guess.

It does seem like a pointless side grade for you. But if you enjoy playing with new hardware as a hobby thats cool, and if not i really don't understand why you don't just figure out the results before going through all this by doing your research. I'm sure it'll only be a few months until you do it all again with the Intel RKL launch lol.

My suggestion, rather than always being lured by new hardware and chasing extra 1-5 fps, make your upgrade decisions based on whether or not your current system is still giving you the performance you need. I'm willing to bet your previous system was still more than capable.
In the case of 5900x i don't think is useless upgrade especially now cyberpunk is here and needs cores.KAC already stated that 5900x brought a new immersion to the table like less hitching and smoothness..The price is very high for this smoothness.
In 2017 i bought the Ryzen 1700 instead of the 1600 for the same reasons.As i read KAC stuff i would really like to jump to 5900x instead of the 6c/12t just for this.I can't justify this 600$ cpu solely for gaming....Also i never payed 250$ mainboards.I can't justify them but somehow it feels intersting to try the 5900x experience...
The performance quantification jumping from 8086k to 5900x is not quantifieble so much in number of fps but in smoothness, less stuttering and longevity ....
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:29 AM   #13
KAC
It might be gays!

I have stated multiple times and even joked about expecting a 1-5 FPS increase with this upgrade. It is no surprise. This is also why I didn’t want to derail the official 5000 series thread. I wanted to build a system as I had 500 lying around and did everything (with the exception of purchase of 5600X and TD500 case as per the plan).

The amount of research I have done this time is higher than any other hardware purchase done in recent memory. This is meeting my expectations on pretty much everything (even hitting 4.95 Gs on multi core boost while gaming - not all cores but multiple cores do boost to 4.95 at the same time).

As I said whether placebo or real there seems to be no more hitching in any game I have tried thus far. Something that happened ever so rarely with a 8086K.

All in all, was it worth it? For me it was for the joy of building a new system. For actual performance in gaming no it wasn’t.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:09 AM   #14
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I have stated multiple times and even joked about expecting a 1-5 FPS increase with this upgrade. It is no surprise. This is also why I didn’t want to derail the official 5000 series thread. I wanted to build a system as I had 500 lying around and did everything (with the exception of purchase of 5600X and TD500 case as per the plan).

The amount of research I have done this time is higher than any other hardware purchase done in recent memory. This is meeting my expectations on pretty much everything (even hitting 4.95 Gs on multi core boost while gaming - not all cores but multiple cores do boost to 4.95 at the same time).

As I said whether placebo or real there seems to be no more hitching in any game I have tried thus far. Something that happened ever so rarely with a 8086K.

All in all, was it worth it? For me it was for the joy of building a new system. For actual performance in gaming no it wasn’t.

Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:19 AM   #15
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I'm willing to bet your previous system was still more than capable.
It was, his own benchmarks show as much.

He might get a decent boost in Cyberpunk once the game is patched to use all his cores.

yoz
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:17 AM   #16
KAC
It might be gays!

Thanks guys for linking videos. I simply do not have time (or patience) to go through 30 min videos. I am more a reader still so if you can link me to articles or post cliffs that would be great. Otherwise no worries, I will continue to research and see if I can hit the magic 640 ST CR20 bench score. .
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:23 AM   #17
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Going to set my 3800mhz single rank trash to DOCP today and see if it blows up in my face. The whea errors I was getting are resolved with the new bios and leaving it at 3200mhz.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:25 AM   #18
KAC
It might be gays!

Why do you have single rank memory? I thought you ordered CL14 kit or something?

My 3600 kit shows up as dual rank.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:36 AM   #19
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
All in all, was it worth it? For me it was for the joy of building a new system. For actual performance in gaming no it wasnt.
Well if you've got the disposable income and at least having fun doing the build I'd say it's worth it even if you didn't gain a worthwhile performance boost.