Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 6, 2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default DF Direct: CRT Displays - Was LCD A Big Mistake For Gaming?

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 6, 2021 at 03:19 PM. Reason: embedded the YT link for you.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Sorta.... if I remember the DF video right they really don't delve into the downsides enough....

Some of the cons off the top of my head.
- Heavy AF
- Colour drift, requiring re-calibration over time
- Image geometry drift requiring re-calibration over time
- Image geometry calibration needs to be done per resolution and Hz setting
- Image geometry, colour and brightness are not perfect till the CRT warms up
- Not very bright

Not to mention all the problems that come with tech as old as the widescreen CRTs are

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 03:33 PM   #3
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 6, 2021, 04:26 PM   #4
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Used a pair of Trinitron P1130s for a decade or so. Moving to LCD was mostly a step down, until I got the Philips BDM3270, which has more accurate color and higher resolution, though it has almost nothing on them for gaming purposes.

Every display technology has downsides. When the first flat panels came out, people flocked to them in droves largely because they were the new thing, but others held on to their old premium CRTs, because they knew that the image quality was better, especially in terms of motion resolution, response time, variable resolution/refresh rates, contrast ratio, etc.... Today's flat panels are certain much better than they were in 2003, but still well behind quality CRTs in many areas, whilst superseding them in others.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:27 AM   #5
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

I have a regret now that i gave up the 21 inch Eizo F931 trinitron.
This benq sw240 is great really but as you said the motion side (gaming and movies) is hard for them.
I found a Dell P1130 at 90$...Yesterday it was an impulse to move back to CRT.Bring back the Benq and buy a CRT.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 7, 2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:33 AM   #6
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Sorta.... if I remember the DF video right they really don't delve into the downsides enough....

Some of the cons off the top of my head.
- Heavy AF
- Colour drift, requiring re-calibration over time
- Image geometry drift requiring re-calibration over time
- Image geometry calibration needs to be done per resolution and Hz setting
- Image geometry, colour and brightness are not perfect till the CRT warms up
- Not very bright

Not to mention all the problems that come with tech as old as the widescreen CRTs are
I remember my Eizo F931.It was ok to calibrate it.Considering that gaming monitors are having QC problems and lottery and still has other disatvanges like input lag and trailings and also stuck in native resolution.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 01:03 AM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Worth the work to get a good LCD. The downsides of a CRT isn't worth the gains anymore. Especially on aspect ratio. I could never go back to 4:3 and widescreen CRT monitors where rare.

P.s. also not everyone ends up in panel lottery land. You should give a gaming monitor a try. The 60Hz colour professional style series monitor you choose was kinda of the mistake as it's not geared in the right direction.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Mar 7, 2021, 02:12 AM   #8
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Worth the work to get a good LCD. The downsides of a CRT isn't worth the gains anymore. Especially on aspect ratio. I could never go back to 4:3 and widescreen CRT monitors where rare.

P.s. also not everyone ends up in panel lottery land. You should give a gaming monitor a try. The 60Hz colour professional style series monitor you choose was kinda of the mistake as it's not geared in the right direction.
He doesn't listen to reason.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 03:38 AM   #9
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
He doesn't listen to reason.

I am dissapointed with the state of LCD market in 2021.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:49 AM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
LCD has always been a series of compromise's. None of the LCD tech is perfect. You have to pick and choose what you want. We have known this for like over 2 decades. Sorry your just learning about it now, but CRT is dead and this is the state of things.

System:
Old Mar 7, 2021, 05:13 PM   #11
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

I like to do retro consoles on CRTs. I've amassed quite a collection, I think 11 or 12 now, mostly sidewalk rescues. Absolutely fantastic having consoles spread across tvs rather than going through a splitter all the time. Some still have to double-up, as I still have more consoles than tvs, but it's not like the old days when I had 15 consoles attached to 1 tv.

I still haven't gotten on the crt computer monitor bandwagon though. Not enough room on my work desk, and frankly retro pc games look better on my 4k monitor than my old game consoles do.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 03:53 PM   #12
Jkmetal23
The NFL sucks

Jkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete stranger

When I put my CRTs in storage (like 2018, so yes, I had them hanging around for like two years), I did so with the idea that I'd get a 4:3 1600x1200 LCD.

I got the LCD (Dell 2007FP S IPS). And to my surprise, it does the job well enough as a native 4:3 display. 800x600 and 480p content is very good.

I don't think I could ever give up the space for a CRT again, even a 19inch VGA unit just takes up too much room.
Jkmetal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:40 PM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
Why? LCDs are better than they ever were before! What was disappointing was the LCD market in 2005 and 2010. Even then you were better off with an LCD than a CRT despite the minuses. CRTs are very bulky and impractical, and harder on the eyes due to the way the screen refreshes.

Quote:
If they still made CRTs a 34 inch 16x9 CRT would weigh like 150lbs, draw 150-200w to run and might not even fit on the desk because of how deep they were. There's good reason that CRTs died. Despite having a few small positives (which are exaggerate since most of these retrospectives look at absolutely top of the line CRTs), they had so many more negatives.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 02:55 PM   #14
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Usually ran 100-120Hz refresh on my Trinitrons... not hard on the eyes at all. I wonder how many people here ever had a proper high performance CRT???
Old Mar 10, 2021, 02:41 AM   #15
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Usually ran 100-120Hz refresh on my Trinitrons... not hard on the eyes at all. I wonder how many people here ever had a proper high performance CRT???

My CRT was an 21 inch Eizo F931 and it was 1000$ new when apeared.I don't think too many had this premium.Mass majority were on 14inch , 15 inch that were low refresh rate only.In a way is exactly as with LCD market.The low end ones are 60hz or 75hz only.I talk non-graphics lcd here.
Imo not many could afford a high refresh rate crt.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 02:49 AM   #16
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Why? LCDs are better than they ever were before! What was disappointing was the LCD market in 2005 and 2010. Even then you were better off with an LCD than a CRT despite the minuses. CRTs are very bulky and impractical, and harder on the eyes due to the way the screen refreshes.

If they still made CRTs a 34 inch 16x9 CRT would weigh like 150lbs, draw 150-200w to run and might not even fit on the desk because of how deep they were. There's good reason that CRTs died. Despite having a few small positives (which are exaggerate since most of these retrospectives look at absolutely top of the line CRTs), they had so many more negatives.

I don't deny that there was a big advancement in non-CRT technologies (LED, LCD) versus how they were in 2004 but this lottery and the skimp on image quality versus speed is still a disapointment.
Also we are stuck in srgb color space for many many years.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 10, 2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 02:53 AM   #17
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Near the end they got affordable in the 19" range. My Viewsonic 95f+ was mid range and produced a stellar picture. The Dell 2405fpw I replaced it with wasnt better looking in most things. But it was larger, it was widescreen and I never went back.

Plus I got obessed with aspect ratios... Hence the insane 32:9 panel I rock now

Also 10bit support isn't LCDs fault. 10 bit never took off with CRT either.

System: