Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:41 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
blizz_gb
Radeon R300

blizz_gb is still being judged by the masses

Default If you like reeeal general threads, then you'll LOVE this...

I popped in my 8500 during the holiday weekend. Actually, I'm fairly impressed with the way things have been going. I've only tried a handful of games, but many work very well. Madden 2002 has some glitches, and for some reason, RTCW crashes every time I'm killed in the single-player game, but this may be a game issue, I haven't checked for patches yet...

I'm just wondering, is there a good set of config settings I should be using to get the most out of my card? I know how general of a question this is, and how ignorant it sounds, but...just curious really...of course, I'm referring to the OGL/D3D config sections for the card. It seems a lot of those settings would either enhance performance at the cost of overall compatibility, or the other way around, but is there anything I should change/set that works well across the board? For instance, the default in OGL is to convert 32bit textures to 16bit...this seems like something I wouldnt want to have turned on, but I'm really not too big of a video buff to understand completely why.

My wish hidden in between the lines of this question is that I won't have to config every game independently with a bunch of different settings that I don't really understand (I am a computer nerd, so I understand a lot of the general concepts, just not keen on hardcore video card stuff, like Z-buffers and V-syncs).

Maybe I just need to spend more time on here and get video-card-geeky once again (I was back in the days of the Voodoo1). I have a lot of questions in my mind...what's the diffs between trilinear and bilinear filtering? Is texture compression necessary with such a fast card? Should I really enable TrueForm in RTCW? What should I *really* set my AGP Aperture Size to? hehe...and such. Or, maybe I should have just bought a console instead...

If you have any general tips on settings for the best blend of compatibility/performance, let me know. With all the stuff I need to learn, I'll probably be frequenting the board fairly often in the future...(and I promise, I'll try to word threads carefully enough to prevent flamewars )
30GB ATA100 7200RPM WD
Guillemot soundcard (hey, it had optical out, for $40).
8500 Retail ver, running 3286 drivers
Windows2000 w/VIA 4-in-1s, DX 8.1
FW disabled, AGPA at 64mb, AGP @ 4x
Lotsa cooling equipment (10 fans in all), no overclockage anywhere.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 11:50 AM   #2
Godgoyle
Radeon R420

Godgoyle is still being judged by the masses

"for some reason, RTCW crashes every time I'm killed in the single-player game, but this may be a game issue, I haven't checked for patches yet..."

RTCW should not crash at all really.. There are zero patch's right now & RTCW really dosn't need 1. There are a couple small bugs (nothinig that will crash your comp) I have noticed but in my opinion RTCW is the most solid shiped game I have seen in years.. This RTCW crash your getting could be a heat issue in your comp. The 8500s run very hot..

"the default in OGL is to convert 32bit textures to 16bit..."

Really depends on your CPU & how the game is running... If you have a slow CPU you might want this setting. If you have a fast CPU & want to see the game look better turn it off. Those default settings are for performance.

"what's the diffs between trilinear and bilinear filtering?"

The answer to this is pretty much the way it sounds. Bilinear = 2 should be faster & trilinear = 3 will look better. Trilinear on will not effect your Frames Per Second much either.. I use Trilinear in Single player & Bilinear in Multi player.

"Is texture compression necessary with such a fast card?"

The answer to this is (HELL YES)... You always want texture compression ON as compressed textures normally look better & they will enable you to run higher settings which enturn make the game look better.

"Should I really enable TrueForm in RTCW?"

This is a matter of preferance.. You can enable it but you won't notice it unless you take screen shots of player models in the game & compare them. If you do enable True Form it will slow your Frames Per Second down...

"What should I *really* set my AGP Aperture Size to?"

You should at least have your AGP Apeture size set to 128. I personaly have mine set to 256. I also recamend playing RTCW in 1024x768 32 bit at least...

Speak up if you have anymore questions & its alway good to post your comp specs when you start a thread asking a question.

P.S. V-sync should be OFF normally (unless you have a problem which ON can fix).. You should go into your wolfconfig.cfg & your wolfconfig_mp.cfg & set your com_maxfps "500" it defaults to like 80 or 90 which if you can get more FPS its better...

Last edited by Godgoyle : Dec 26, 2001 at 12:04 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 12:25 PM   #3
blizz_gb
Radeon R300

Default Re:

Thanks for the reply...I have my specs in my sig, dunno if you have sig displays disabled or not.

Just from reading around a bit on the board, I'm gaining a bit more of a feel for things. I think I have some things to try when I get back home...

Your response makes me wonder a bit more about my RTCW problem. It's not heat-related, because it's reoccuring in the same spot (and I have a slot blower, one of my 10 fans). Actually, 2K GPF's out when I get killed. I was thinking it was video-related because I assumed when you died, it switched graphical modes back into the front-end or something of that sort. I may have to do more investigating...

Thanks for the other info on the general settings, it's little differences in those that I'd like to get to know better.
30GB ATA100 7200RPM WD
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 26, 2001, 01:59 PM   #4
Kurupshin
Radeon R100

Kurupshin is still being judged by the masses

I have the same problem with RTCW crashing.

It only happens when I die. It doesn't make anysense!!!

And I do know what I'm doing, and it is not a heat issue.

Plus a heat issue would have random lockups. Not lockups when you die.

Tried both of the newest drivers. Not those leaked ones yet.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 02:37 PM   #5
The_Guardian
Radeon R420

The_Guardian is still being judged by the masses

Same problem here with RTCW. I'm in contact with activision about this, or should I say was? I told them my problem and they gave me some possible solutions (none of them worked) and asked some files from me but in the end they come up with nothing better then re-installing my system. Now I personally don't think this is a solution because it is a new system and only the latest drivers were installed.

I did install the VIA-pci-latency-patch (if you have a via chip) and that gave me some inproofment. Now when I die the game loads the last autosave most of the time but still not always. What worked for me, also not always, was quickly push 'escape' when I died and quickly load the save game my self.
The VIA-latencypatch can be downloaded here: http://download.viahardware.com/vlatency_v019.zip
Old Dec 26, 2001, 03:13 PM   #6
Godgoyle
Radeon R420

"And I do know what I'm doing, and it is not a heat issue."

No1 said you didn't know what your doing. I said it may be a heat issue because it could be & yes heat could cause random lock ups but if the sceen you get locked up on after dying is really intence its possible it could push the 8500 to its max & overheat.. Not saying it was the only thing it could be...

If all of you are using Mobo's with Via on them try the latest 4 in 1s Version 4.37a

Good luck.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 04:23 PM   #7
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Default A question about how the RTCW/dying lock-up occurs....

When you say it reboots or locks up when you die, does it lock/reboot before it starts to fade-out or not?

In case you've never seen the entire death sequence, it does a fade-out to black before offering you the option to restart. I'm wondering if perhaps it's the fade-out effect kicking in that's crashing your systems, not the actual dying. I'm not sure what or how the fade-out works, but I think it's using an overlay....

Just some thoughts on the problem. I don't think it's the dying that's causing it, I think it's the animation effects after dying that might be the culprit.

But what do I know, it's been working beautifully for me ever since I disabled 'Z-mask' and got rid of the random splotchies. I don't even have an 8500, just an r100. I'm just bored and trying to trouble-shoot problems blind.

Bubbles Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, ATi Radeon HD 5970, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 200GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
Blue Phenom X4 9950 BE, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Crucial PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4870, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, 250GB, 500GB
Darkstar Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, 512MB Radeon 5870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
Fluffy Phenom II X4 940 BE ,Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2x1Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4970, 250GB, QuickCam
Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
Baggo Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.8Ghz, 1-1/2Gb PC2100, 32Mb GeForce2 Go, 120Gb HDD

Old Dec 26, 2001, 04:31 PM   #8
blizz_gb
Radeon R300

*shrug*..worth a try. And to specify the point at where it crashes, I believe I can see my dead body laying there for a second...it's when it looks like it goes to something else that my screen turns black. During this time, my HDD activity led is blinking almost at one-second increments. Then, when I press some keys/click a mouse button, I get back to my desktop, and notice that RTCW had GPF'd out with the generic Windows2000 program error msg.

Also...
Do you guys know if the latency fix is included in the 4.37 4-in-1s?
As a side note, here at work, my boss and someone else complained about sound choppiness on their newer Duron machines...I looked up the prob and installed the new 4-in-1s on their machines, which seem to have addressed the problem pretty well. This would make me think the fix was implemented in the new ver. However, if it's not, hey....the latency patch might help their problem too, and it would be cool to get a fix for a work-related problem while mulling on a game-related board (while on the clock, mind you). Then I could further justify surfing forums here in my office
30GB ATA100 7200RPM WD
Old Dec 26, 2001, 04:38 PM   #9
TheBeagle
AIW Radeon II MAXX

TheBeagle is still being judged by the masses

have you tried editing the wolf.cfg? look for a setting called hunkmegs. if you have 512mb of ram I would recommend you set this to at least 192. obviously if you have less ram you must set it much lower. give it a try

just open the cfg file with wordpad, search for hunkmegs and change the value.
512mb pc2700 ddr
Radeon 9700pro
46gig ata100 maxtor
16X pioneer dvd (udma66)
24x10x40 Lite-on cd-rw
3 boot win2k pro/win98 se/winXP sp1
directX 9.0
Old Dec 26, 2001, 04:54 PM   #10
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Default It DOES sound like it's the fading!

Quote:
And to specify the point at where it crashes, I believe I can see my dead body laying there for a second...it's when it looks like it goes to something else that my screen turns black.

That's about the point that the fading starts in, I have a feeling it and the crashing are related. I'm gonna go play and poke around with it and see what I can find....

Bubbles Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, ATi Radeon HD 5970, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 200GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
Blue Phenom X4 9950 BE, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Crucial PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4870, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, 250GB, 500GB
Darkstar Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, 512MB Radeon 5870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
Fluffy Phenom II X4 940 BE ,Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2x1Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4970, 250GB, QuickCam
Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
Baggo Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.8Ghz, 1-1/2Gb PC2100, 32Mb GeForce2 Go, 120Gb HDD

Old Dec 26, 2001, 05:29 PM   #11
Kurupshin
Radeon R100

I'm running win2k btw and i have did a fresh reinstall with the 4.37's and latency patch. It doesn't matter whether you die or lose a mission due to the alarm being rang.

What happens is it won't load the save screen or whatever. The option to restart it.

If I leave the game sit long enough, win2k will find an error in wolfsp.exe and allow me to close it. I am then able to start the game again. However, this problem is extremely annoying.

GG ATI.

I've also tried both drivers
Old Dec 26, 2001, 05:53 PM   #12
LatexMantus
Radeon R520

LatexMantus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Godgoyle
The 8500s run very hot..
ah, no they don't. they run very cool actually, much cooler than any nVidia GeForce3 card. not sure where you heard this one, but it's very very wrong.
wait, you're the guy defending VIA... that explains everything.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 06:23 PM   #13
Godgoyle
Radeon R420

LatexMantus quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Godgoyle
The 8500s run very hot..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ah, no they don't. they run very cool actually, much cooler than any nVidia GeForce3 card. not sure where you heard this one, but it's very very wrong.
wait, you're the guy defending VIA... that explains everything.

No they don't run very cool actually... & why again are you comparing it to an GF3??? We are talking about 8500 here & the site is for ATI products... I didn't have to hear anywhere that the 8500 runs hot. I own 1 you idiot!!! Also I'm not defending Via I'm correcting morons like you that seem to think every computer problem under the sun is related to Via if its on the Mobo... My problems are not with Via they are in FACT a ATI driver problem... You seem to have to compare something to everything & what goes on in your little area goes for the rest of the computer community (thats not the way it is Latex). Latex, I tell you what. Why don't you just not say anything about my posts & I won't say anything about yours.. Infact if you reply to a post first, then i'll stay away from it & I hope you do the same with me... Its clear that the more you & I run into each other the more heated this is going to get.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 06:35 PM   #14
Godgoyle
Radeon R420

To the people having trouble here you may want to read this article as it might give you a idea of what seems to be a common problem with the 8500.

http://www.theddrzone.com/news.asp?id=404

The-Beagle mentioned that you guys might want to set your com_hunkmegs to 192. When I got RTCW I set my hunkmegs to 100. Default is 56. I was having problem with rtcw in Multi player when games would go fast & maps would change on the 3 to 4 map I would hang & have to reboot sometimes to fix it. I have 384 megs of DDR & what fixed my problem was setting the hunkmegs to 50. The maps never hang anymore & they load 2x faster than when I had the hunkmegs set to 100. I had the hunkmegs set to 100 because thats what I used with Q3 ever sincee the game came out.

The-Beable might be right in your cases I just wanted to let you klnow my side as it was the opposit.

Good luck guys. I think the only real fix will be better drivers from ATI.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 09:18 PM   #15
AzBlackAce
Radeon R300

AzBlackAce is still being judged by the masses

Remember all, if your computer spontaneously reboots you need to check your Win2k/Xp settings. There is a option under startup and recovery settings to automatically reboot the machine after a error. If this is set you will no see a BSOD. You might want to check and make sure this is off, and then you can actually see what kind of error you might be getting. I have seen a lot of these posts from newbies and the are usually running a NT core which has this setting.

AzBlackace
VisionTek 9800 Pro w/ Danger Den Maze 3 Water Block
1 gig Corsair 3200 LLP
SoundBlaster Audigy or Nvidia SoundStorm ( Depends right now )
MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 / MS Natural Keyboard Pro
Teac 512EB Cdrw / Creative Labs DVD
Old Dec 27, 2001, 12:12 AM   #16
blizz_gb
Radeon R300

To the last post, I thought we made it pretty clear that it doesn't bluescreen - if anything, if you let it go, it will spawn the 2K generic program error msg. Heh...unfortunately I know too much about BS's and memory dumps from shoddy Shuttle-motherboard Duron machines that I get to administer at work.
30GB ATA100 7200RPM WD
Old Dec 27, 2001, 01:24 AM   #17
Kurupshin
Radeon R100

Yes, I have the exact same problem blizz has. It is not cooling, and it is not the latency patch. I have tried it with and without the patch. I have tried all drivers including the omega drivers.

Nothing has worked so far.

The game locks up, but like blizz said, if you let it sit there for about a minute or two, the Wolfsp.exe error will come up and you will be able to resume windows.

I will try the com_hunkmegs next.
Old Dec 27, 2001, 01:59 AM   #18
Kurupshin
Radeon R100

Upon further study. The lockups only happen on certain levels. Hmm, wonder who is to blame. wolf or ATI?

I'm still guessing ATI.