Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:23 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

TimothyB is still being judged by the masses

Default Noob to Unreal Editor, having basic trouble, super basic

For some odd reason I can't figure out why any tutorial I do I get stuck at the point when they tell me to select something by left clicking, or right clicking in empty space or on a object to bring up a pop-up menu. For the life of me I can't get that to happen.

In one tutorial I'll create a cube, something like 256*1024*1024. So there I am with a red wireframe cube brush. I click the subtract button and carve the void into a room with the default texture or whatever was last selected.

A next step it asks me to leftclick the floor to select it, which would highlight it blue, and then I could change the texture. Well, leftclicking did nothing, in any view.

Another step with a large cube is to rightclick and select add-light, but no matter where I click, I get no menu, the curser just disappears.

I also don't understand something. After subtracting that cube, why is it when I move it, it only moves the wireframe, but the subtracted room is left behind, which now has a brown wireframe. I can't figure out how to delete the red wireframe I just moved, since I don't need it anymore, or how to reselect the room I made ever again.

Why am I having problems with these basics in the middle of the simplest tutorials, do I have something on, capslock, number lock, that's causing my problem.

If you don't know, can you help direct me to a better place to ask

Thanx,
Brian
Thermalright slk-800-u heatsink
Antec True 430watt
Leadtek 6800 128mb at 400/850
Compro Videomate TV/FM Gold Plus
Maxtor IDE pci card, Audigy 1
HDs WD, 3x80gig, 60gig, 30gig
http://www.toonguru.com/
TimothyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:37 PM   #2
ATMArage
Revulva

ATMArage is still being judged by the masses

If you're running in D3d mode try switching to software and see if that helps. I'd offer more suggestions but it's been ages since I fired up UnrealED.

"Ergo, buttplug = gay"
~Missus
ATMArage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:40 PM   #3
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by ATMArage
If you're running in D3d mode try switching to software and see if that helps. I'd offer more suggestions but it's been ages since I fired up UnrealED.
I'll try that when I get home. Also, maybe disable AA and AF, maybe turning hardware acceleration down a notch might help. That's if it's related to the problem at all.

I hope to get more replies, but I don't really know how many map makers are in this forum.
Antec True 430watt
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:42 PM   #4
kyleb
Radeon Caribbean Islands

kyleb is still being judged by the masses

ya just turn off aa.
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:44 PM   #5
ATMArage
Revulva

ATMArage is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by TimothyB
I'll try that when I get home. Also, maybe disable AA and AF, maybe turning hardware acceleration down a notch might help. That's if it's related to the problem at all.

I hope to get more replies, but I don't really know how many map makers are in this forum.
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if one of those settings fixes it. Last I remember it took a *******' voodoo ritual to get D3d mode working properly (and I use the term "properly" VERY loosely) although things probably have changed since then

"Ergo, buttplug = gay"
~Missus
ATMArage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:53 PM   #6
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

I hope that does fix it, but I won't be home for another 2 and half hours to try what has been suggested thus far.

I also wanted to try that Maya PLE that came with UT2003, but because the installer screen doesn't show any text, I can't get the instructions to regisister and recieve the password to complete the install. You can read about that problem in my recent post here: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33730963
Antec True 430watt
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:35 PM   #7
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

BeardedClem is still being judged by the masses

I don't know what's going on with the editor but the same thing is happening for me so you're not doing something wrong and turning off AA did not fix it. I know it did work not too long ago when I was fooling around with it so maybe it's a editor or driver issue.

As for this part:

Quote:
I also don't understand something. After subtracting that cube, why is it when I move it, it only moves the wireframe, but the subtracted room is left behind, which now has a brown wireframe. I can't figure out how to delete the red wireframe I just moved, since I don't need it anymore, or how to reselect the room I made ever again.
That's normal. The red builder brush only exists in the editor and will not show up in the game but you can hide it by pressing 'b'. And I don't think you can reselect a brush once it's subtracted, you can only subtract more brushes around it or add brushes inside the subtracted brush.

Unreal Ed and Radiant for Quake engine games are complete opposites in that in Unreal Ed, you are basically cutting holes in a solid block and in Radiant, you are adding brushes to a void. There are advantages/disadvantages to each but personally, after messing with the unreal editor first, I found Radiant a much easier to work with at least in terms of brush manipulation, it's push, pull and drag--easy. But that's my opinion.
BeardedClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:05 AM   #8
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardedClem
I don't know what's going on with the editor but the same thing is happening for me so you're not doing something wrong and turning off AA did not fix it. I know it did work not too long ago when I was fooling around with it so maybe it's a editor or driver issue.

As for this part:

That's normal. The red builder brush only exists in the editor and will not show up in the game but you can hide it by pressing 'b'. And I don't think you can reselect a brush once it's subtracted, you can only subtract more brushes around it or add brushes inside the subtracted brush.

Unreal Ed and Radiant for Quake engine games are complete opposites in that in Unreal Ed, you are basically cutting holes in a solid block and in Radiant, you are adding brushes to a void. There are advantages/disadvantages to each but personally, after messing with the unreal editor first, I found Radiant a much easier to work with at least in terms of brush manipulation, it's push, pull and drag--easy. But that's my opinion.
I guess it's still a little confusing, when you say hide it, does that mean every brush you created is always there? Unless hide basically means delete. It just seems like you can end up with a lot of junk. And does rehiting b cause every one to reappear.

It also seems confusing even more if you can't ever select a subtracted area, if you wanted to delete it, change it a little, like a texture. So basically whatever you cut out in this solid world is final unless modified by another brush.

So if you subtract a cube, how then do you go about selecting the walls to change the texture there, then the roof and ceiling. But that's where I get lost since tutorials say to just left click, which doesn't work.

I guess this whole map editing is a lot different than you regular 3D program. I'm also sure everything I asked will become more clear if I get past the first 3 steps of the most basic tutorial before throwing my mouse because leftclick doesn't work.

This Radiant editor might be easier (basically yes if it works) and where can I get it? I basically want to learn a little by designing some of my office building.

(This is post # 1111, cool )
Antec True 430watt
Old Dec 17, 2003, 01:02 AM   #9
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

Quote:
I guess it's still a little confusing, when you say hide it, does that mean every brush you created is always there? Unless hide basically means delete. It just seems like you can end up with a lot of junk. And does rehiting b cause every one to reappear.
Think of the red builder brush as your sculpting chisel. It's just a tool and has no impact on your map so hitting 'b' only hides your tool. You can hide added and subtracted brushes which makes it easier to work with areas under construction when other areas are done. Open up one of the UT2003 dm maps and see how complex they are and you'll see why you need to hide some areas to make what your working on stand out.

Quote:
It also seems confusing even more if you can't ever select a subtracted area, if you wanted to delete it, change it a little, like a texture. So basically whatever you cut out in this solid world is final unless modified by another brush.
Someone more experienced with Ued will have to advise you on that one since I moved on to Radiant when Quake 3 was new and I played it more than UT at the time. People make great maps with Ued so I probably didn't give it a chance.

Quote:
So if you subtract a cube, how then do you go about selecting the walls to change the texture there, then the roof and ceiling. But that's where I get lost since tutorials say to just left click, which doesn't work.
What you're doing should work but there's something broken in the editor or drivers cause I have it too.

Quote:
I guess this whole map editing is a lot different than you regular 3D program. I'm also sure everything I asked will become more clear if I get past the first 3 steps of the most basic tutorial before throwing my mouse because leftclick doesn't work.
Don't give up, all map editors seem quite buggy and challengin but they're easier to use than they used to be and making your own playable map is really cool. I made a Quake 3 remake of Unreal 1's DM-Tundra and it turned out good.

Quote:
This Radiant editor might be easier (basically yes if it works) and where can I get it? I basically want to learn a little by designing some of my office building.
GTKRadiant can be found here: (obviously you'll need Q3 or RTCW.)
http://www.qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_dir=23

I learned Radiant from the Quake3world level editing forums: (Good tutorial links in the stickys)
http://www.quake3world.com/cgi-bin/f...er=6&SUBMIT=Go

If you get MayaPLE working, you'll see it's quite similar to Ued actually. You'll likely find more direct info from an actual Ued site like this one:

http://forums.unrealplayground.com/f...splay.php?f=22
Old Dec 17, 2003, 02:58 AM   #10
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

I got it to work. I disabled AA and AF, and also turned down hardware acceleration down a notch for the system, which I think disables hardware cursor.

Now the selecting works. I created a quick cube and now in the 3D view I can left click a wall and it highlights blue, and I can change it's texture. Plus the right click menus now works.

Don't know which fixed it, the AA, AF or no hardware cursor, I'm just glad it's working now.

(EDIT: I see now, there can only be one brush, I think, and clicking the cone button or any will change it, and you can save it and reopen a brush later if you don't want to lose it. I thought if I clicked a cube again it would just make a new one each time)
Again, is it possible to delete a brush? I can right-click it and select delete, but does nothing. While hiding brushes is nice, but if I don't need one anymore, why keep it? Do I just have to subtract it a way so that it disappears?

I can now finally move the created room, which is a yellow wireframe. Thanks for the tip on rebuilding geometry for that kind of change to take effect.

I'm sure I'll learn more on how to keep track of things and working efficiently so things don't get messy now that I can do tutorials with a working editor.
Antec True 430watt

Last edited by TimothyB : Dec 17, 2003 at 03:07 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 01:44 PM   #11
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

Hey, that fixed it for me too, glad you got it working. I don't know which tutorial you are using but I'll give you one more link to a pretty easy to follow tutorial if it helps.

http://www.planetunreal.com/architec...rst_level.html

When you build your first complete level come back and post some picks or a link to it so people can play it.

Edit: I just upgraded to the new Catalyst 3.10 drivers and it seems to fix the problem without having to drop the performance slider a notch.

Last edited by BeardedClem : Dec 17, 2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 05:16 PM   #12
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

Checkout this link , if you are mapping for UT2k3
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 04:30 AM   #13
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

Take a look at this:

http://sv3.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_vtmlist.php?c=13

I don't think you could find a better site and probably what any beginner could ever wish for. They are video lessons. They cover everything in fine detail. Just the first Level design 101 class is 4hrs, seperated in multiple files.

Then there's a 7hr course after that. Scene Mantinee and more. Plus it's free, just sign up and you can dl it all.

Finally a tutorial that goes beyond a box room. Here you can see a lot more complicated things that go into static meshes, groups etc. There are videos for 3Dmax and Maya on creating static meshes too. Haven't checked those out, only 2/3 way through 101. I'm basically just watching as it's easy enough to remember since you see every step.

The videos are high res too, so you can make out everything in UnrealED3.0. I'm also glad these tutorials are for 3.0. A lot of tutorials I found in websites that actually had some good stuff were for the old unrealED.

How come no one mentioned this before?

Happy mapping
Antec True 430watt
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Anzak
Sapphire X800 GTO

Anzak is still being judged by the masses

Default VTMs!

Yeah I have downloaded all of the VTM's (Visual Training Movies) for Unreal Script and Maya Modeling. I would suggest anyone who wants to learn to mod UT2003 download them. If anyone has UnrealED 3 questions they can PM me or reply in this thread. L8r :P
Anzak is offline   Reply With Quote