Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Alientank
Piss flaps

Alientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Totally lost on the hardware market for upgrades...

I haven't paid attention to the stuff coming out for PC's probably since the 9800 pro. Yea that long. I don't even know what I have in my PC now but I can tell you it's garbage and it ain't what's in my sig as that stuff blew up on me a few months ago thanks to a power surge, it's just spare parts in there now. I'm looking to upgrade my video card/mobo/cpu/memory for games, but don't want to go extreme top end, something more in the mid range-high end (but again not extreme top end). I'd like to keep it to around $1000-$1500 canadian at the absolute most.

I plan to buy from ncix as they seem to be the best around and I've always bought from them. I just need suggestions. I'm not partial to one name over the other, just whatever is best be it ATI or Nvidia, or Intel or AMD. I also don't plan to do this upgrade for another month atleast, so if something better is coming out I will wait if need be. Just need suggestions/ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:25 AM   #2
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

What res will you be playing at?

An Intel i7 with 6GB of RAM and a 4890 should do it.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:34 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

$1500CAD should get you a nice Intel Core i7 setup. If you're reusing your case, optical drives and hard drives, then a motherboard, cpu, memory, psu and graphics card will be what you need. Maybe an aftermarket cooler if you like to overclock. I say include PSU as you'll need one for newer/higher end configs.

So think a Core i7 920 (~$330CAD), an X58 motherboard($280-$350CAD), 3x2Gb DDR3-1333 ram kit (~$100CAD), a 750W nice PSU (e.g Corsair TX750, can be had for $120CAD), and a GTX275 (~$250) or HD4890 1Gb (~$250), and you'll be set. That'll run you $1000-$1200CAD, depending on the deals you find at newegg.ca/wherever you shop. Next step up on the graphics front would be a GTX285 (~$375CAD), then you get into the dual GPU single card solutions such as the 4870 X2 (~$430CAD) and the GTX295 (~$650 CAD).

Unless you're running 1080p or higher and want massive amounts of AA/AF you probably wont need anything more than a GTX285, but the best bang/buck is at the 4890/GTX275 level. The good thing about the X58 chipset motherboards is they all support crossfire, and most support SLI as well, so you can add in a second card later if you want to boost performance.

It also depends on the games you play, if you're a pure FPS gamer, never play RTS or do anything else on the computer (like media [trans/re]coding, [email protected], video editing or photo manipulation) then you could go for a lower budget AMD AM3 Phenom II processor and motherboard. This will still do all the above, but the Core i7 significantly outperforms Phenom II with multi-threaded apps/games/tasks etc.

For OS load up the free Windows 7 Release Candidate x64 and enjoy until March next year.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Oooooo, you know the drill, blame Alientank
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you have to spend $1000+, the i7 rig caveman mentioned would be great.

But as far as bang for your buck goes in terms of gaming performance, I'd go the phenom 2 route. Phenom 2 x4 920 ~$160 USD,
motherboard could be anywhere from $60-125 for a decent one,
4 gigs of ddr2 $40-50,
OCZ 700W psu ~$80
gtx260 or hd4870, they're pretty close in price $140-150 (just got my 4870 for $120ish)
1TB Western Digital hd ~$100
Some dvd burner combo for $20
Case, whatever you want.

I can be more specific if you'd like, but I just wanted to provide the cheaper option that fits the mid-high end imo.

Last edited by Roxen : Jun 16, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Roxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Alientank
Piss flaps

Alientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
$1500CAD should get you a nice Intel Core i7 setup. If you're reusing your case, optical drives and hard drives, then a motherboard, cpu, memory, psu and graphics card will be what you need. Maybe an aftermarket cooler if you like to overclock. I say include PSU as you'll need one for newer/higher end configs.

So think a Core i7 920 (~$330CAD), an X58 motherboard($280-$350CAD), 3x2Gb DDR3-1333 ram kit (~$100CAD), a 750W nice PSU (e.g Corsair TX750, can be had for $120CAD), and a GTX275 (~$250) or HD4890 1Gb (~$250), and you'll be set. That'll run you $1000-$1200CAD, depending on the deals you find at newegg.ca/wherever you shop. Next step up on the graphics front would be a GTX285 (~$375CAD), then you get into the dual GPU single card solutions such as the 4870 X2 (~$430CAD) and the GTX295 (~$650 CAD).

Unless you're running 1080p or higher and want massive amounts of AA/AF you probably wont need anything more than a GTX285, but the best bang/buck is at the 4890/GTX275 level. The good thing about the X58 chipset motherboards is they all support crossfire, and most support SLI as well, so you can add in a second card later if you want to boost performance.

It also depends on the games you play, if you're a pure FPS gamer, never play RTS or do anything else on the computer (like media [trans/re]coding, [email protected], video editing or photo manipulation) then you could go for a lower budget AMD AM3 Phenom II processor and motherboard. This will still do all the above, but the Core i7 significantly outperforms Phenom II with multi-threaded apps/games/tasks etc.

For OS load up the free Windows 7 Release Candidate x64 and enjoy until March next year.
Thanks for the advice so far my res is 1680x1050. I will be playing games like Fallout 3 on it primarily. I'm going ahead with this so far....tell me what needs to be changed. I don't plan to overclock

ATI 4890...http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...1&promoid=1025
i7 920....http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34598
Corsair TX 750W PSU....http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...5&promoid=1025
Corsair XMS TR3X 1600 DDR 3 3x2 GB memory....http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34654 (it was a deal with the mobo despite it being 1600 memory so I took it for $109)
Asus P6T SE mobo....http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38342

Costing me about $1285. How's it look? IIRC that mobo will support the i7 correctly. Let me know how it all looks. I don't plan to ever crossfire so I figure a 750 watt supply is enough. I'm also getting 2 SATA 2 500 gig drives from WD and a new case as I don't think my mini case will have enough room for cable management. Any suggestions people on a case to buy that isn't hideous?

Quote:
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.

Last edited by Alientank : Jun 16, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:10 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Good choices there. I like the Antec 300, and the P182b, but the latter might be very expensive. Also look at some of the coolermaster cases, can be quite good.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:18 AM   #8
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

Default if you're in toronto

you may want to look at http://www.canadacomputers.com for pricing as well. i've often found them to be competitive, or better than ncix, and they are a storefront making exchanges much easier...just a thought (for example they have the sapphire 4890 for $264.99).

i recently (a month ago) upgraded with the following:
phenom 2 810 (slight OC to 3 GHz)
gigabyte ma790xt-ud4p
8 gigs ddr3 (1333)
640 gig WD cav. black ed.
asus 4870 dark knight
antec solo case
antec earthwatts 650W psu

all this ran me just under $1100, tax included. my system runs all my apps beautifully, so it more than meets my needs (current needs anyway...who knows 2 months from now...lol). an i7 setup will run you a bit more (but not that much more), and will be a better performer. in any case, i just thought i would suggest an alternative to ncix pricing. best of luck!

Last edited by jtpeace : Jun 17, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
jtpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Alientank
Piss flaps

I checked canadacomputers out but it looks like it'll be a little cheaper overall going with ncix.

This is the final build of what I will be getting. Just a question of if I get it now or wait a few weeks.

XFX Radeon HD 4890 XT 1GB 875MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV Video Card
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
ASUS P6T SE X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SATA2 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty* (2 of these)
Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA
Arctic Silver 5 HIGH-DENSITY Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 3.5 Gram
LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA OEM
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI-E Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital 116DB SNR W/ Low Profile Bracket
Yate Loon D12SL-12C 120MMX20MM Quiet Cooling Fan 1300RPM 44CFM 21DB 3PIN & 4PIN Sleeve Bearing OEM (5 of these)

Total is $1734 with taxes and shipping. A bit over budget but I will probably review my list and may take a few things off to bring the price back down. I also may end up waiting a few months before buying. But it's a good idea of where the cost of things are right now.

Quote:
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:58 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Solid choices. If you wait there are supposed to be price cuts on the 4800 series in July.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:18 PM   #11
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Wow! Sweet selections! Gonna be a screaming fast machine for sure
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:41 PM   #12
-=Antimatter=-
Radeon Sea Islands

-=Antimatter=- is still being judged by the masses

Is that Seagate a single-platter drive? Even if it is, I still think I'd prefer the WD 640GB Black.

Also, I use a Cooler Master 690, and you're gonna want 140mm fans for the top and bottom, they are a bit quieter than the 120mm. I'm using the low-speed Yate Loons.
-=Antimatter=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:06 PM   #13
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Antimatter=- View Post
Is that Seagate a single-platter drive? Even if it is, I still think I'd prefer the WD 640GB Black.

Also, I use a Cooler Master 690, and you're gonna want 140mm fans for the top and bottom, they are a bit quieter than the 120mm. I'm using the low-speed Yate Loons.
I'll second that vote for Yates. Great fans. I have one of their 120's on my TRUE cooling my Q6600 rig. Big thumbs up to the Caveman for that one
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:44 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Antimatter=- View Post
The Seagate 7200.12 500Gb is indeed a single platter drive. I have one in my Family PC, it's great