Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nanohead
Too many Radeons to list

nanohead is still being judged by the masses

Default Finally ready to upgrade, but have no idea what to buy

Well, my pair of 4870s (running at 4890 spec) have treated me well, but upgrade fever has hit yet again after nearly 2 years and I'm ready and loaded to spend.

I skipped the 5800 series in the beginning because of cost, but now they are getting more rational with the 6800 series being launched, which are priced pretty well themselves. I water cool everything, so I don't care about the coolers, I usually just buy reference design cards and modify BIOS and voltage anyway, so all the silly coolers the card builders put on don't mean much to me.

So here's the problem.
  • 6870s look compelling at the price,
  • The 5850s are pretty much the same or faster than 6870
  • The 5850 can be OCd up to 5870 speeds, while costing the same as the 6870s.
  • The 6900 series aren't gonna ship for a while, and I'm sure they're gonna be expensive.
  • The 5870 price may come down though (as may the 5850 price) when the 6900 series comes out.
Whats an egghead to do?

Stormcrow ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, Phenom 960T Unlocked 6 [email protected] Corsair H60 Water Cooled, 2x XFX 7950 in Crossfire Water Cooled w Swiftech, 8GB GSKIL Ripjaws, 5x120GB SSD RAID 5 Array
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:28 AM   #2
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanohead View Post
Whats an egghead to do?
What you should do is wait until later this month when the 6900 series launches and nV's 580 launches. Even if you don't buy any of those you can get a better deal on other parts.

Rumor has it 580 paper launches tomorrow.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:50 AM   #3
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wait buddy wait. That's what I am trying to do but honestly, even today I was about to pull the trigger on the 6870 but decided against it.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
nanohead
Too many Radeons to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Wait buddy wait. That's what I am trying to do but honestly, even today I was about to pull the trigger on the 6870 but decided against it.
Exactly my problem... I have emotional wreckage!!!!

need........

new....

hardware.

hurts

Stormcrow ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, Phenom 960T Unlocked 6 [email protected] Corsair H60 Water Cooled, 2x XFX 7950 in Crossfire Water Cooled w Swiftech, 8GB GSKIL Ripjaws, 5x120GB SSD RAID 5 Array
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I understand exactly how you feel. For your res I would just get a card now and not worry about it. The new cards coming out later are only going to cost more then whats available now and a tad overkill imo.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:48 AM   #6
nanohead
Too many Radeons to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I understand exactly how you feel. For your res I would just get a card now and not worry about it. The new cards coming out later are only going to cost more then whats available now and a tad overkill imo.
Yeah, pretty much what I've been thinking. The 2 x 4870s I've been using for the past couple of years have been plenty fast actually, only being sucked dry on games like Metro 2033 and Crysis, and these games suck most cards dry anyway.

I think I'm either gonna get a pair of 6870s or a 5970 (prices are coming down fast)

Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Too much hitting the market this month to not wait it out. Even if you decide not to hit Cayman, it should have a positive effect on 58xx pricing. And reduce the "why on earth didn't I wait a few more weeks" regret.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What you should do is wait until later this month when the 6900 series launches and nV's 580 launches. Even if you don't buy any of those you can get a better deal on other parts.

Rumor has it 580 paper launches tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Too much hitting the market this month to not wait it out. Even if you decide not to hit Cayman, it should have a positive effect on 58xx pricing. And reduce the "why on earth didn't I wait a few more weeks" regret.
What the man said.

Oh, wait...

yoz
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What the man said.

Oh, wait...
Dude, if being original w/ my posts was one of my criteria, I'd be one of those low postcount wonders instead of being a spamapajama! I don't think so!
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Dude, if being original w/ my posts was one of my criteria, I'd be one of those low postcount wonders instead of being a spamapajama! I don't think so!

yoz
Old Nov 8, 2010, 04:08 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

yes wait for the 6970 i had two 4870 & two 4890 after and you would need to go to a 5970 or two 5870's to be faster
one 5870 is a little slower than two 4890's most of the time
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote