Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:55 PM   #481
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Btw is the stock for AMD procs any indication of stock for their upcoming graphics cards?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:01 PM   #482
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Btw is the stock for AMD procs any indication of stock for their upcoming graphics cards?
It will be worse for the video cards.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:25 PM   #483
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So the real question.

I have about $1000 to spend. I can either do: Ryzen 5800X (since that is the only one I found - $500 shipped) plus MSI Unify X570 plus DDR4 3600 C16 ram and a new Phanteks P500A case. Actually the total is coming about $1200 not $1000 but I will sell my current stuff so maybe get back $400 for all of it (8086K, TUF and Corsair 3200 C16 ram - case not really in saleable condition).

This seems to net me about 5-8% performance in select games (at 1440P) and about 1-2% performance in 4K.

Other option is to spend about $850 incremental for an ASUS TUF 3090 and get ~10% performance at 1440P and about 11-12% at 4K.

What would you do and why?

Given all the rumors the following is quite expected in Q1.

3080 Ti at 899-999 (so a $300 upgrade that is likely to net the same performance as 3090).
Intel new CPUs that are likely to beat or match Ryzen 5000 series possibly dropping price on both for a cheaper Ryzen 5900X build in Q1 .

However, what will I miss out in gaming during this holiday season. Possibly Cyberpunk 2077, Ass Creed Valhalla and COD BO CW performance downgrade by as much as 5-15 FPS (15 is for COD BO CW that will already run at 140-150 FPS with my current setup at 1440P).

So really conflicted right now and can't seem to decide.

These are the most relevant benches for me. Of course my numbers are higher typically since I run my processor to the wall. And 5800X has no real extra OC headroom and maintains its clocks w/ AIO.
My 8086K typically comes very close to 10700K benches so added another video there for reference.

Last edited by KAC : Nov 5, 2020 at 11:36 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:52 PM   #484
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Intel new CPUs that are likely to beat or match Ryzen 5000 series possibly dropping price on both for a cheaper Ryzen 5900X build in Q1 .
Intel is running with another 14nm node. Pretty much guarantee that they'll have to ramp up the power requirements on it to get close to or even match the 5000's. And that means heat and lots of it.

To me it's like a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush kind of thing. We know what AMD is and what it does. We know Intel is playing catchup at this point with outdated tech.

Ultimately the decision to upgrade is always up to the individual. If you think that your current rig isn't up to snuff then upgrade. If it'll do for a while then wait. That being said, I wouldn't wait for Intels new 14nm+++++++ and new motherboards that have to go with it this round.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:06 AM   #485
KAC
It might be gays!

The other consideration is DDR5 and upcoming AM5 platform but I think that is at least a year out.

From a gaming standpoint my build is hanging with the big boys without issue. I don’t care about 720P or 1080P poor quality benches. Only care about 1440P for high FPS games and 4K for action adventure / RPG games.

I just think this upgrade is a bad use of my money since I am only getting 2 extra cores and AM4 is a dead platform in a year’s time.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 02:03 AM   #486
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Seems like all people here are not buying the new AMD. I am still wondering.

It is like $1000 for 5-8 FPS gain in best case scenario. That is about 125 to 200 bucks per FPS. Seems helluva stupid. I should just get another 3090 then instead.

The performance of the new 5000 series in strictly gaming scenarios is on par with intel more or less.If you want to only game, many may already have intel so is not worth buying the 5000 series.On the other hand if you want productivity and also gaming at the intel than is worth upgrading.But many people here may not be doing productivity work so hence is nothing intersting to see...

Ok... I have a dilema.I am on an R7 1700, b350, 16gb ram, vega56.I have a hard justifying jumping from R7 1700 for a 30% performance increase but paying 100% price.Buying a RTX 3080 / 6800xt seems i have more to gaing than replacing the cpu.I am on a 1080p monitor 60hz.
Also before jumping on me why i need to have an rtx3080 or 6800xt for 1080p 60hz gaming the reason is that i want to play with RTX at least at 60 fps.I am not sure the lower cards can handle RTX at 60fps in most games.The irony is RTX just reseted the vga market back to 1080p 60fps.
Also i can activate VSR and emulate a 4k resolution at 60fps when it can be done and i get overkill.I've done that with Vega56 and worked nice.When i am not satisfied i can disable VSR and get back to native 1080p 60fps ...I feel there is much more flexibility than buying a 4k monitor where it gets blurry if your card can't do 4k rtx 60fps and need to got 1080p.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 03:20 AM   #487
KAC
It might be gays!

Cancelled my 5800X order. Too rich for my blood plus I have already busted all quotas of spend for the consoles. 1100 already spent on consoles plus another 800 for the ASUS TUF OC. Should be plenty of gaming options at great performance for a while. Add games costs for the 3-4 that I want that is another 250 bucks.

Best of luck to those trying to nab this processor or other tech.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 03:27 AM   #488
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Don't think I'm going to bother switching either, was hoping for better gaming performance but it's pretty much just on par. Also read some info that RKL at 4.2 is benching 18% faster than 10900k at 5.3 in single threaded userbenchmark tests. I can wait till Feb/March.

EDIT/ on second thought, that sounds too good to be true. I suspect it's 18% faster at equal clocks, not 4.2 vs 5.3.

Last edited by demo : Nov 6, 2020 at 03:34 AM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 03:45 AM   #489
KAC
It might be gays!

Whatever it is - I just don’t see the reason to upgrade. We will see what RKL brings but quite possibly they are working on the new node and that will be the true booster. Plus with AM5 etc on the horizon, I am pretty sure I can get another year out of current setup with just changing graphics cards.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 03:57 AM   #490
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Fair enough, 8700k will cope fine till then. I'll replace the 10700k with RKL since I already have a board.

Now I need to sell a very expensive AM4 water block and have RAM coming that I don't really need..

Honestly, I suspect I'll kind of feel the same way about 6800xt/6900xt too and end up with Ampere before XMAS.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 04:39 AM   #491
KAC
It might be gays!

I honestly do not know why you don’t have an ampere card yet.
Hardware unboxed has the best review with gaming for 5900X. Happy that I cancelled my order. Will compare results tomorrow or day after once I have my 3080 again.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 04:56 AM   #492
KAC
It might be gays!

Old Nov 6, 2020, 05:39 AM   #493
demo
space cadet

Bit late to the party, I've had a busy couple of days, but when it comes to gaming the 5900x is all over the place. Sometimes beating Intels best and other times it's slower than 8700k and 5600x. It's not just an odd outlier either, there's a few titles it happens in. Have reviewers explained this? Perhaps cross CCX latency?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 05:48 AM   #494
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

i'm still in the progress to figure out what my new rig should consist of, you guys ain't making it easier -.- It does sounds like i should go the 5600x-route though.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 06:03 AM   #495
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 06:16 AM   #496
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Bit late to the party, I've had a busy couple of days, but when it comes to gaming the 5900x is all over the place. Sometimes beating Intels best and other times it's slower than 8700k and 5600x. It's not just an odd outlier either, there's a few titles it happens in. Have reviewers explained this? Perhaps cross CCX latency?
Increased cross CCX latency seems likely. 5800X appears to be a good gaming choice, given that all cores are together, 5600X for those on a budget.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214...5700x-tested/5

For new systems, I'd recommend AMD 5000, but those with recent Intel systems aren't going to see much advantage unless they are doing more than gaming.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 08:32 AM   #497
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Setting my sights on a 5800X, will wait for a special though.

If I can get a deal on Black Friday, I will pull the trigger, but for now the 3300X is doing great.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 08:48 AM   #498
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Increased cross CCX latency seems likely. 5800X appears to be a good gaming choice, given that all cores are together, 5600X for those on a budget.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214...5700x-tested/5

For new systems, I'd recommend AMD 5000, but those with recent Intel systems aren't going to see much advantage unless they are doing more than gaming.
Why isn't the 5950x suffering from the same thing if it's cross CCX latency, as the 5900x is the only one that dips in the gaming benchmarks compared to the others?

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 08:55 AM   #499
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Seems like all people here are not buying the new AMD. I am still wondering.

It is like $1000 for 5-8 FPS gain in best case scenario. That is about 125 to 200 bucks per FPS. Seems helluva stupid. I should just get a 3080 Ti then instead.
Fixed.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 09:12 AM   #500
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
Why isn't the 5950x suffering from the same thing if it's cross CCX latency, as the 5900x is the only one that dips in the gaming benchmarks compared to the others?
Dunno... was just speculation on my part; imagine this will be looked into shortly. Also appears that the 5800X is not a good value proposition at its current price, making the 5600X a better buy for gaming oriented systems.

I'm actually more interested in how the 5000 series performs in digital audio workstation (DAW) applications. I suspect that the increase in IPC will make it outperform Intel, which has been the performance leader for years now due to better low-latency realtime audio processing performance.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 09:40 AM   #501
KAC
It might be gays!

Well this was quite an anti-climatic launch.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:11 AM   #502
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:14 AM   #503
KAC
It might be gays!

I am just waiting on my 3080 to arrive so I can re bench at 1080P and see what’s what.

I think the Jarrod’s tech review I posted is really the litmus test for my use case. It convinced me to cancel my 5800X.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:00 AM   #504
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Well this was quite an anti-climatic launch.
That's what all the mumz say after you finally succeed in lasting longer than 3 minutes.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:10 AM   #505
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
That's what all the mumz say after you finally succeed in lasting longer than 3 minutes.
Had to go through so many mums that 3 minutes was enough to copulate you gays!
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:11 PM   #506
acroig
Troll SMod

yoz
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:17 PM   #507
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post

why the 3600xt is performing so well ? i am looking at mins mostly
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:25 PM   #508
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
why the 3600xt is performing so well ? i am looking at mins mostly
Because it's always been a great bang for the buck?

yoz
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:37 PM   #509
KAC
It might be gays!

Wow, GN completely destroyed the 5800X review lol. Glad I cancelled my order.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 01:07 PM   #510
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think he pooped on the 3800x back in the days too, for pretty much the same reasons.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote