Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 9, 2020, 08:23 AM   #1111
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
12/03/2020 5:15 P.M. Sparks, NV, United States Package transferred to post office
Hopefully I remember this lesson next year. Pay for the more expensive shipping option around this time of year if you want it to not take weeks. This thing has been at the post office since the 3rd and still hasn't shown up. I'm not sure how long I should realistically wait before assuming it's been lost and then acting to try and get a refund. Leaning towards Friday, which would be 12/11.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2020, 08:42 AM   #1112
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I need to pick up a 5600X this weekend. I cant be without a putter for 2 weeks. It causes mental health issues for me.
Revive the Agitated thread?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:25 AM   #1113
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have been shouting at random women for past 4 days trying to find where the **** my shipment went.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:26 AM   #1114
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I have been shouting at random women for past 4 days trying to find where the **** my shipment went.
And where the F is it? In the States? In Dubai?

yoz
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:33 AM   #1115
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
And where the F is it? In the States? In Dubai?
Dubai says it is in NY. NY says it left them so they don’t know.
Everybody telling me that they are still waiting for updates so be patient.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:36 AM   #1116
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Why the F would you sell your only PC before you had your new one in hand? Dafuq?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:37 AM   #1117
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Why the F would you sell your only PC before you had your new one in hand? Dafuq?
Because I got a good deal and did not expect this kind of delay. Technically I sold it after buying all the components. Everything arrived as expected with only this anomaly. My wait would’ve been at most 3-4 days without PC.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:49 AM   #1118
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Lesson learned I hope.

Things with shipping are so bad right now I can't buy a single thing my wife and kids want as a gift today (December 9) and expect it before Christmas without over paying for express shipping. Its madness.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:05 PM   #1119
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Because I got a good deal and did not expect this kind of delay. Technically I sold it after buying all the components. Everything arrived as expected with only this anomaly. My wait would’ve been at most 3-4 days without PC.
It was a good gamble that just did not pay off. Shipping is crazy and will get worse.

yoz
Old Dec 9, 2020, 07:12 PM   #1120
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For WHEA errors, are you just supposed to set your ram clock speeds back to 3200mhz? This TUF board is giving me WHEA about every 24 hours and I'm not on a beta BIOS.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Dec 9, 2020, 08:25 PM   #1121
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Depends what kind of WHEA error it is. The most stable system on the planet will still log some sort of WHEA error, but some of them are directly related to unstable overclocks. Are you using HWInfo to track the WHEA errors? If so, then those are the critical ones that are symptoms of instability.

They can be related to CPU or memory instability, though.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2020, 08:54 PM   #1122
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you get WHEA errors at stock, look for a bios update. What OCing are you doing?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2020, 08:56 PM   #1123
Riptide

It's definite instability because the machine crashes and the shell re-loads. I'm seeing the evidence in event viewer.

Little disappointed that this issue is cropping up, especially with the release BIOS from october loaded. Unlikely to be the CPU, but possible. I would tend to blame the motherboard first.

I installed the new modules tonight and I noticed there is a new release BIOS that came out yesterday. I'll load that this weekend and test, starting with keeping it clocked to 3200mhz for now, then move up from there.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Dec 9, 2020, 09:18 PM   #1124
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
NY eh?

https://www.trucknews.com/transporta...ft/1003109477/

Quote:
Todd Moore was playing hockey in Hamilton, Ont., when some guys came forward with 10 cases of Moosehead beer that had “fallen off a truck”. He knew exactly where it had come from, though. Everyone knew. The theft of two loads of beer in New Brunswick had been all over the news, complete with jokes about Moose being on the loose.

It was no joke to the career police officer, now president of Canadian Armed Robbery Training Associates.

All too many people turn a blind eye to the cost of cargo thefts, he said during a presentation to the Private Motor Truck Council of Canada. Contractors might see a cheap load of lumber as a way to cut costs, just like a chef who’s offered a deal on a load of beef that’s too good to be true. “People don’t see the significance. They say it’s ‘insurance’,” he admitted. “But everybody is paying.”

The Greater Toronto Area now has the highest rate of cargo theft in Canada, rivaling major U.S. centers. Research by the Canadian Trucking Alliance and insurers suggests the crime across Canada costs about $5 billion a year.
Replace beers in that story with something slightly more valuable and Toronto with NY cuz they have lots more mafia in NY.

So.... yea.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:13 AM   #1125
KAC
It might be gays!

Picked up a 5600X. Couldn’t take the wait any more. lol.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:42 PM   #1126
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Hmmm, just changed to my latest ASRock BIOS and the temp changed significantly for Idle, use to Idle at about 51C now it Idles at 61C but the top end doesn't seem to be any higher. Need to throw a game on and see. Has the new PBO2 in it. Just thought it was odd it idles so much higher all of a sudden.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:09 PM   #1127
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Power management issues? 61 C idle sounds very odd. That's load temps during winter for my 8700k
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:45 PM   #1128
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

So after the BIOS upgrade it appears that the EPIC launcher keeps a couple of cores active raising the temps, This BIOS definitely acts different, with more spikes then the previous ones. Close down EPIC and it settles closer to what it was before the BIOS upgrade.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:48 PM   #1129
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Sounds like the issues that the Rx3XXX series suffered from at launch where a bunch of random apps broke the power management features.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:05 PM   #1130
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Dude.. even 50c idle temps are atrocious lol.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:12 PM   #1131
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
So after the BIOS upgrade it appears that the EPIC launcher keeps a couple of cores active raising the temps, This BIOS definitely acts different, with more spikes then the previous ones. Close down EPIC and it settles closer to what it was before the BIOS upgrade.
check your power settings in windows. change your minimum processor state to 20%, specially if you have it set to the Ryzen High performance, as it tends to set it to 99 or 100. However not sure why a bios update would change this, but who knows since windows and the UEFI bios work hand in hand now days.

Also, some monitoring and cooling software causes it as well.

edit: my brain didn't even comprehend the EPIC launcher in you response.. Until I went and read it again after my post. That's what I get for jumping in here before I finish my first cup of coffee.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 02:25 PM   #1132
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Dude.. even 50c idle temps are atrocious lol.
That's perfectly normal for Zen 3.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 02:32 PM   #1133
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
That's just weird.

yoz
Old Dec 11, 2020, 02:50 PM   #1134
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
That's perfectly normal for Zen 3.
Really? Maybe with the stock cooler. Or maybe there's some processes running in the background that are spiking temps a little. Or, maybe your ambient temps are higher than mine.

I usually see between 30C - 42C idle. I am in my cool basement though, ambient temp is usually 65F down here. Either way, as long as your temps under load are good and not throttling that's what is important.

One thing though that was unsettling to me when I first switched to Ryzen was how temps and voltages bounce around so much. Back when using Intel temps were always very stable and hardly moved unless I put a heavy load on it. But Ryzen naturally spikes a lot. Or, monitoring programs have trouble accurately reporting data.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 03:10 PM   #1135
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Some motherboards set the core voltage to high when set to auto. You may want to check into that for your motherboard. Even .1 volts can raise the temperature substantially.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 03:51 PM   #1136
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

I've checked, Zen 3 runs hot, I posted an article about it somewhere in this thread which absolutely no one payed attention too, checked what others are at on idle as well, I also have way to many tray apps running but that probably only accounts for 5c if that. Its the sudden jump with the EPIC launcher after the latest BIOS is what drew my attention. It wasn't doing that on the BIOS before. Although this is the first BIOS that I noticed that has the new PBO2 in it and I notice it acting differently compared to the others. Not bothered at all by the 51c Idle based on what I have read and seen about Zen 3.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 03:53 PM   #1137
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Really? Maybe with the stock cooler. Or maybe there's some processes running in the background that are spiking temps a little. Or, maybe your ambient temps are higher than mine.

I usually see between 30C - 42C idle. I am in my cool basement though, ambient temp is usually 65F down here. Either way, as long as your temps under load are good and not throttling that's what is important.

One thing though that was unsettling to me when I first switched to Ryzen was how temps and voltages bounce around so much. Back when using Intel temps were always very stable and hardly moved unless I put a heavy load on it. But Ryzen naturally spikes a lot. Or, monitoring programs have trouble accurately reporting data.
Your on Zen 2 though, Zen 3 runs hot. There is an article I posted in this thread probably pages and pages back now.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 04:08 PM   #1138
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Your on Zen 2 though, Zen 3 runs hot. There is an article I posted in this thread probably pages and pages back now.
You know what, it totally did not dawn on me that you are on Zen 3 now lol. I thought you still had the same proc as me.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:55 PM   #1139
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Swapped my 3900 with dat 5900, couldn't get it to boost higher than 4.2ghz in cinebench, temps where below 60C.

Enabled PBO, bam 4.4xghz, my score was inline with the reviews.

Did amd change how the boost clocks behaves with ryzen 5000, or is it just my board that is weird?

With the 3900 pbo on or off didn't really matter, it went as high as it could automagically.

I guess it could be explained by gigabyte not really following the TDP on the 3xxx series and for some reason obeying it on a 5xxx series cpu.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 01:13 PM   #1140
KAC
It might be gays!

What are you idle and load temps? Cinebench R20 score? Also can you run Real Bench and post a score. What is max boost you are seeing with PBO? Volts? Thanks.