Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:51 PM   #331
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
First gen RGB power cables Free is better then $100 though!
Of course if I didn’t only need to pay shipping I wouldn’t have gotten it. I do like it that they feel like cables and not overly white plastic. Otherwise I would’ve probably removed them by now.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:58 AM   #332
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

A matter of preference I guess, but I like how the 2nd gen look and the RGB effect is better in my opinion.

https://imgur.com/YHdjGy9
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:03 PM   #333
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I thought they looked like total ass which is why they were sitting in my garage and given away for free

In saying that though, they look better in KACs photo than RL in my rig.. I kind of want them back now..
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:31 PM   #334
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
A matter of preference I guess, but I like how the 2nd gen look and the RGB effect is better in my opinion.

https://imgur.com/YHdjGy9
Yeah not a fan. Too much plastic. I will post a short clip of mine.
https://imgur.com/a/CthiSHt

Last edited by KAC : Jan 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:24 PM   #335
KAC
It might be gays!

Hey Riptide, did you see a noticeable performance improvement by getting a better timed memory?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 01:35 PM   #336
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 03:09 PM   #337
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
cant wait for RDNA2 based laptop APUs

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:29 PM   #338
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
cant wait for RDNA2 based laptop APUs
I'm really glad intel pushed Xe graphics. Hopefully this kicks AMD awake to be more aggressive with their APU graphics. Way too long on GCN Vega. But I will snag one one up if not a 6000 mobile Radeon first.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 08:41 AM   #339
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Hey Riptide, did you see a noticeable performance improvement by getting a better timed memory?
Oh hell no. I'm running 2160p so memory speeds are not going to have any noticeable impact outside of a tiny difference on a synth benchmark.

While the kit I have installed now is certainly faster than the prevous CL16 32gb kit, had I a do-over, I would not have bothered changing modules.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:31 AM   #340
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Oh hell no. I'm running 2160p so memory speeds are not going to have any noticeable impact outside of a tiny difference on a synth benchmark.

While the kit I have installed now is certainly faster than the prevous CL16 32gb kit, had I a do-over, I would not have bothered changing modules.
Ok thanks for letting me know. I was about to order some kits as an upgrade. It's a good thing the pricing is so absurd that my common sense prevailed yet again.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:23 PM   #341
KAC
It might be gays!

So my putter was working absolutely fine and I was like this thing is dope and all dialed in. So after 3 or 4 random days I get a WHEA error with a reboot. I am like dafuq is this all about. It seems curve optimizer has some bugs which cause it to go bananas and cause WHEA errors if putter is on for multiple days. I did all the stability tests and what not.

So now I just went ballistic and gave it -30 on CO on all cores so that my volts are low and also down pumped from 200 MHz PBO boost down to 150 MHz. Finally, I also was setting PBO limits crazy high and learnt to just disable them in the bios and also set temp limit back to Auto.

Putter is going along fine. I see routinely single core boosting to 5.1 Gs and MC is OK. It isn't the 8600 or so CBR20 score I was pushing but more like 8400 CBR20 score now. I think this will do. The good thing out of this is that in games rather than boosting to 4625 all core now it is boosting to 4750 all core usually.

If it crashes again, I am literally selling off this setup. I am done messing with it and trying to make it bend it to my will. This whole cores, volts and temps bouncing around like ****ing bunny rabbits is pissing me off to no end. Btw my temps are now going to 85 C when gaming in COD BOCW. It is frickin' ridiculous since I stopped giving it override 1.25 volts.

Crashes at -30 also. So I just backed down to default PBO everything and disabled CO. Now running with auto everything except -100mV override on AMD overclocking volts.

Last edited by KAC : Jan 19, 2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 08:35 AM   #342
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Turn the PC off when you're not using it seems like an easier solution to the curve optimizer bug.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 08:40 AM   #343
KAC
It might be gays!

These beta bioses are wreaking havoc on PCs. Apparently ASUS boards are also suffering since they updated the AEGSA 1.2.0.0. and all people's clocks are no longer sticking or memory is not staying at a higher clock (e.g., a person able to do DDR4 3600 can no longer and has to dial back to 3466 and so on).

I am just sick and tired because the hardware is actually good. The bios/software/algorithm is where the issues lie. It is just annoying af that you spend all this time dialing in the system and completely randomly after DAYS it frickin' crashes! Wtf.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:45 PM   #344
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
These beta bioses are wreaking havoc on PCs. Apparently ASUS boards are also suffering since they updated the AEGSA 1.2.0.0. and all people's clocks are no longer sticking or memory is not staying at a higher clock (e.g., a person able to do DDR4 3600 can no longer and has to dial back to 3466 and so on).

I am just sick and tired because the hardware is actually good. The bios/software/algorithm is where the issues lie. It is just annoying af that you spend all this time dialing in the system and completely randomly after DAYS it frickin' crashes! Wtf.
AMD have 3 years with all this RYzen stuff on a lot less money than Intel..They still have things to figure out with a much smaller team of engineers.There is a lack of experience with this.If you don't want the adventure in two or 3 months you can go back to the safe Intel platform.
I can say that i updated the Bios on my B350 so so many times.I counted now how many bioses have been released from 2017 to 2020 and is around 31.The irony is i bought DDR4 B-die last year and the bios from 07.2020 actually made the memory and platform in general so stable at 3200 cl14 14 14 36. If i had it much earlier i would have stability issues.Fortunetly the platform now is very stable but i got sick of spending time beta testing and crashings and experimentation.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 01:51 PM   #345
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Turn the PC off when you're not using it seems like an easier solution to the curve optimizer bug.
Agreed.

yoz
Old Jan 19, 2021, 05:19 PM   #346
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

If your fun is playing with overclocking I guess you just have to go intel. Running PBO 175mhz and I call it a day. Dont care about the rest of it as long as it dont crash. AMD has it set to maximum out of the box so you just dont gain that much out of it. Staying away from the Beta BIOS. Will only upgrade BIOS when they are supposed stable releases.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 05:23 PM   #347
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
If your fun is playing with overclocking I guess you just have to go intel. Running PBO 175mhz and I call it a day. Dont care about the rest of it as long as it dont crash. AMD has it set to maximum out of the box so you just dont gain that much out of it. Staying away from the Beta BIOS. Will only upgrade BIOS when they are supposed stable releases.
Smart man is smart.

yoz
Old Jan 19, 2021, 06:02 PM   #348
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Agree. That is exactly my attitude for the whole thing and exactly (PBO, 175mhz) my settings. I haven't even bothered to manually tweak the memory I just run it on DOCP.

Fire and forget.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 08:29 PM   #349
KAC
It might be gays!

What’s the secret with 175?
You gays aren’t under volting? That thing runs what temps during games like COD or Immortals Fenyx Rising?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:37 PM   #350
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Zen3's normal operating temp under load with aftermarket coolers is like 80C. Its fine.

As long as you're not crashing or badly getting clock speed throttled just play games and stop worrying about it.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:39 PM   #351
KAC
It might be gays!

I have set it to the supposed magical number of 175 and also given it -100mV undervolt. Rig is performing fine for now. Need to wait 3-5 days before the uninvited crash will happen because AMD.
Also Nascar24 can you post the following:

Geekbench
AIDA64 mem bench
CBR20
CPUZ bench

scores for comparison purposes. I am thinking about going custom water to see if that will improve my temps etc. However, throwing $500 on it seems like a waste of money .
Old Jan 20, 2021, 07:10 AM   #352
KAC
It might be gays!

So I set everything on Auto and PBO at 175. Also didn’t undervolt and damn thing now boosts only 4575 in COD BOCW instead of 4750/4700/4650. Wtf is this crap?

My CBR20 score jumped up though to 8650 from 8410 by removing the undervolt. I seriously do not understand this processor at all. I have spent so much time trying to get it to be consistent but it just doesn’t want to do it.

It might be because I removed the temp threshold at 90C and now comp starts down pumping at 68 C. I really don’t know anymore.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:43 AM   #353
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
I have set it to the supposed magical number of 175 and also given it -100mV undervolt. Rig is performing fine for now. Need to wait 3-5 days before the uninvited crash will happen because AMD.
Also Nascar24 can you post the following:

Geekbench
AIDA64 mem bench
CBR20
CPUZ bench

scores for comparison purposes. I am thinking about going custom water to see if that will improve my temps etc. However, throwing $500 on it seems like a waste of money .
That sounds like a lot of work, I'm sure my results will be below yours. I don't think I ever hit 80C on the processor. Upper 70's, but my FTW3 runs hot, but no crashes so don't really care. I picked 175Hz on the PBO as I did get a couple of Blue screens over a few days when it was set at 200Mhz. Haven't had one since changing it to 175Mhz. Don't touch any other settings.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:44 AM   #354
KAC
It might be gays!

Those are like 2 min benches a pop max. Shouldn’t take more than 10 mins total. I didn’t ask for CBR20 SC score.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:47 AM   #355
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

I will look what I have installed when I'm home, don't think I have all those installed.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:50 AM   #356
KAC
It might be gays!

Don’t be gay. Installation of 4 MB tools should be straight forward.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:52 AM   #357
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

I cant be asked to work when I'm not on the clock!
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:53 AM   #358
KAC
It might be gays!

Haha.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:32 PM   #359
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The only that that concerns me with my memory timings is that my cache:memory timing ratio is 3:54. I should probably try to make it 1:1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 04:00 PM   #360
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

CPU-Z - Single thread 625.4
Multi Thread 8587.5
Cinebench R20 - 7868
Geekbench 5 - Single-Core - 1590
Multi-Core - 13535
AIDA64 6.32 - Read 54160