Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Final8ty
Radeon R700

Final8ty is still being judged by the masses

Default [hardware.info]Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 680 tested with 10 CPUs

Quote:
Two graphics cards, ten processors, ten benchmarks

If you like playing games in Full HD resolution with all fancy graphical effects enabled, you obviously need to invest in a high-end graphics card. If you're looking at buying one of the current high-end cards, such as the AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition or the Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, it's worth taking a closer look at the rest of your computer. Will your PC be able to squeeze the most out of these expensive powerhouse video cards, or do you have a bottleneck hiding somewhere? With a speedy Core i7 processor you obviously need not worry, but what if you have something like an Intel Core i3 or AMD A6? Hardware.Info examined just that scenario, so read on to find out.
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3714...d-with-10-cpus
Final8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I'll never understand why some sites test cpus in a single player environment when multiplayer is required to truly test the cpu. I think any website that doesn't do this is rubbish and doesn't deserve the hit they get when I read their "review"
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:52 AM   #3
Ninbri64
Radeon R200

Ninbri64 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I'll never understand why some sites test cpus ina single player environment when multiplayer is required to truly test the cpu.I think any website that doesn't do this is rubbish and doesn't deserve the hitthey get when I read their "review"

Out of curiosity, how often to you find a review that actually reviews CPU load in a multiplayer game environment as opposed to campaign? In general, I always figured the single player campaigns in games are overall more stressful on both CPU and GPU than just multiplayer's CPU load. In fact, aren't you eliminating A.I. scripts from running in multiplayer as opposed to single player games? I would think that would be fairly significant. Plus reviewing online multiplayer might be hard to get an accurate benchmark with other more inconsistent factors messing up the experience such as ping and players running around all over the place almost never doing the same thing twice.

I agree multiplayer has less of a focus on GPU load than single player in general, but I don't think that automatically means CPU load is higher in multiplayer because of that. I would love to see a multiplayer vs. single player CPU benchmark comparison. Actually, wouldn't seeing a really low-resolution single player campaign CPU benchmark comparison be better for comparison across multiple CPUS than asking for multiplayer? I feel like less goes on in multiplayer then all the scripts running in single player.

Last edited by Ninbri64 : Dec 23, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Ninbri64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Ninbri64
Radeon R200

Ninbri64 is still being judged by the masses

The above review was specifically testing the performance of how those two video card's performance scale in graphically demanding games with various CPUs. Not putting load on those two cards and only looking at CPU wouldn't satisfy what they were trying to investigate.
Ninbri64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Nice...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

interesting that AMD seems less dependent upon CPU than nV counterparts, with only Crysis showing some fluctuation.... ie when using a 7970 the difference between a $150 cpu and a $1500 CPU at most is 10% (11 fps) and at triple screen play varies between 5fps and 1fps difference.