Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 17, 2021, 01:14 AM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Tight tell us how it is.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2021, 07:58 AM   #272
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Demo, I hope you're ready for some memory OCing. I wanna see how it compares to the 10900K now that Intel is moving towards a Ryzen style IMC.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2021, 03:49 PM   #273
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Demo, I hope you're ready for some memory OCing. I wanna see how it compares to the 10900K now that Intel is moving towards a Ryzen style IMC.
+1

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 17, 2021, 04:37 PM   #274
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeh I've been reading some interesting information at oc.net concerning memory OC. Works a little different than AMDs implementation and they all seem to think Gamers Nexus are doing it wrong and unwittingly gimping results, not exactly sure why though.

I have 2 kits here, both Sammy B-die. One is XMP 3200 cl14 1.35v, the other is XMP 4000 cl15 1.5v. If I'm limited to 3733 1:1 I suspect I'll be able to get better timings out of the 3200 kit.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 04:45 PM   #275
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
Yeah, I think you can pre order them now in certain places. I read that a store in Germany is already selling them.
well, you can order them, but release date is end of march (30.03.2021) or in US 03/30/21

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2021, 08:04 PM   #276
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

So I guess this is the 'feature' unique to i9 that was rumored:

Seems like an aggressive PBO type solution. Two cores at 5.3, all core at 5.1 out of the box, temperature dependent.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:36 PM   #277
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Are you keeping the Z490 or going to nab that Z590, demo?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:41 PM   #278
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I've lost track of all the "lakes". This one still on 14++++++++?

If so pass.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2021, 11:13 PM   #279
demo
space cadet

First new architecture in 6 years, but still on 14+++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Are you keeping the Z490 or going to nab that Z590, demo?

Z490 assuming PCIe 4.0 works as it should for NVMe storage, Direct Access, and GPU. I have a 1TB 980 Pro here waiting for fresh windows install.

Not certain if this Advanced Boost Technology is supported on Z490 either, but I assume it is.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 07:33 AM   #280
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The advanced boost technology just sounds like the OCTVB that Intel introduced with 10th gen, except it's doing it out of the box.

Your Aorus Master will be fine. This is why you spend extra and get a better board. I wouldn't want to throw a RKL chip in a $150 board.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:07 PM   #281
KAC
It might be gays!

Which is a better board to buy.

Asus TUF 259
MSI Tomahawk 269
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra 319

Also what ram should I pair. Keep the 3600 or go for 4000?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:19 AM   #282
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Just run the memory you have at 4000 and adjust the timings up to compensate if necessary. It doesn't actually make that much difference either way though.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2021, 04:20 AM   #283
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Which is a better board to buy.

Asus TUF 259
MSI Tomahawk 269
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra 319

Also what ram should I pair. Keep the 3600 or go for 4000?

You already accustomed to MSI bios from AMD platform.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 07:20 AM   #284
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Definitely not the ASUS. Their boards overall are terribly overpriced for worse components these days.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 08:17 AM   #285
KAC
It might be gays!

Ram is pretty crazy. DDR4 4000 16 gigs is same as DDR4 3600 32 gigs. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 08:17 AM   #286
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Just run the memory you have at 4000 and adjust the timings up to compensate if necessary. It doesn't actually make that much difference either way though.
I have an absolute turd of a memory that doesn’t clock past 3733 MHz.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 08:19 AM   #287
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I think what Nagorak means is that for Intel the speed difference in RAM does not amount to much or any performance improvement, unlike for Ryzen.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:38 PM   #288
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Intel definitely sees performance increases from memory. Going from slow 3200 to 4000 can be a noticeable bump.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 02:19 PM   #289
demo
space cadet

Quote:
1:1 gear ratio seems limited to 3733 anyway
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:00 AM   #290
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:50 AM   #291
KAC
It might be gays!

Where is the 11900K buttsechs review?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 01:34 AM   #292
demo
space cadet

Intel

That was it, minus 5%

This thing looks like a dud, but there are some interesting positives though. Firstly, GTA scores. It takes the top spot in this notoriously CPU bound game. I feel this architecture will do well in pre-DX12 single thread bound scenarios, but lose in anything well optimised/heavily multithreaded.

Secondly, and this is odd, is Time Spy scores. It wins in CPU and GPU individual scores, but loses combined I've never seen this before and it doesn't make sense. Anyhow, the important thing to note is GPU score while on this platform, it is significantly faster.

Thirdly, although this hasn't been shown yet or unique to intel, is Direct Access via pcie 4.0 coming in a windows update, similar to console implementation. This is what I'm most interested in, I think it's sorely needed for PC gaming [if implemented well]. It's about time intel got on board with pcie 4.0. This can be done via pcie 3.0 too, but pcie 4.0 puts it on parity with the latest consoles.

OC looks like ass, RKL is pushed to it's limits out of the box. The best buy of the bunch is probably the 11700 non K on a non Z board. It's pretty much full performance and has all the bells and whistles for a lot cheaper and still offers memory OC on non Z boards.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 02:00 AM   #293
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Firstly, GTA scores. It takes the top spot in this notoriously CPU bound game. I feel this architecture will do well in pre-DX12 single thread bound scenarios, but lose in anything well optimised/heavily multithreaded.
Bleh, scratch that, was looking at the wrong CPU! Meh. No really, you're crazy if you swap from 5900x KAC. I'm gonna roll with it just because I already have the board installed and for the fun of messing around with new CPU and features. But I would not recommend anyone get it. 10850K is literally 40% cheaper right now..
Old Mar 23, 2021, 02:10 AM   #294
KAC
It might be gays!

I am still pretty tentative about it.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 07:48 PM   #295
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Looking at the reviews from GN, my 9900k is still a very viable chip. The gains for intel are not quite as strong as the AMD gains have been. Plus I'm not going to shell out cash for a marginal increase in FPS over what I have now. I'm waiting. I want to see what AMD comes out with next. That is if they can make any new cpu's in the coming year or so.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:00 AM   #296
demo
space cadet

Folding@home

9900K has been a great CPU ^
Old Mar 25, 2021, 01:52 AM   #297
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2021, 06:03 AM   #298
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Looking at the reviews from GN, my 9900k is still a very viable chip. The gains for intel are not quite as strong as the AMD gains have been. Plus I'm not going to shell out cash for a marginal increase in FPS over what I have now. I'm waiting. I want to see what AMD comes out with next. That is if they can make any new cpu's in the coming year or so.
It's easy to make massive gains when you start at the bottom.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 06:09 AM   #299
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
.........vid.......

Yeh but at the same time this is the whole point of K processors and high end mobo's. They extract a bit of extra performance out of the box. I totally get it, it's not really stock and that's fair enough, that needs to be examined too, but I think it's worthy to see what most K users with high end boards are likely to see out of the box. Personally, if I benched CPU's, I wouldn't load everything at default just to manually lower settings in BIOS to meet intel PL1 spec. These things have been tested to run at those speeds and is why you buy high end chipset and K processors. It's all good. The same goes for AMD and PBO - feel free to run it IMHO.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 08:02 PM   #300
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I also generally lean toward allowing the CPUs to exceed power limits. The power limits are quite conservative on Intel, and it doesn't reflect the sort of performance you are likely to see if you tweak your system at all. (Actually you should see higher performance if you tweak your memory beyond XMP.) Personally I would rather see testing done closer to how I'd actually run the CPU, which is why I prefer Hardware Unboxed's method of reviewing CPUs.

That being said, as far as I could tell from my personal testing, after all tweaking Zen 3 cores are legitimately faster than Intel X-lake cores through 10000 series, and it doesn't look to me like the improvements in Rocket Lake are enough to make up that difference.

However, with that again being said, there are some exceptions, like RDR2, and everything is ultimately close enough that it probably doesn't matter because you'll end up GPU bound either way in gaming. And if you're not gaming and instead doing multi-threaded productivity then Ryzen 5000 stomps the Intel options anyway simply due to having more cores.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote