Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:32 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Why Z590 over Z490?
Because it is designed for 11th gen.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:39 PM   #242
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Because it is designed for 11th gen.
Won't Z490 do it all as well? MSI Tomahawk seems to be able to.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:42 PM   #243
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes but I don’t know what kind of performance and component stress the chip will put on a Z490? If this is similar to Z370 can take in a 9900K processor then it might be OK. But if I am building a 11th gen system might as well get the new boards.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:43 PM   #244
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

We should know that next week then.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:54 PM   #245
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Which Z590 board should I pick up? Trying to see if there is a Tomahawk but can’t locate even it’s webpage. Other options are Strix E and TUF. Thinking a TUF should be ENUF.

Wow both Strix and TUF not available. Only Gigabyte Aorus Ultra seems to be in decent price range.
I think you should just stick with your Ryzen 5900X system.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:02 PM   #246
KAC
It might be gays!

Let’s see the results and then I will decide what’s up.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:19 PM   #247
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Benefits of Z590 are x8 DMI link to chipset (up from x4 on Z490) for more storage, more USB 3.2 ports (10 vs 6), 3x USB 3.2 2x2 ports, and WIFI 6E.

From a performance and power delivery point of view, it's like all the boards have gone up a tier. IE- Z590 Aorus Ultra is basically like Z490 Auros Master.

Basically, you are getting a better board for the same money/tier as Z490.

That said, if I had a x570/5900x I wouldn't even look at it.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:48 PM   #248
KAC
It might be gays!

Then who else gonna test the new platform for the community here?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 06:51 AM   #249
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Then who else gonna test the new platform for the community here?
This is so true! KAC is like the unofficial Rage hardware review site.

yoz
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:02 AM   #250
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Lots of people betting on new bios code might want to wait some more before buying:

https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/sta...63032736088064

Quote:
Geomean of UPDATED Core i7-11700K (RKL) benchmarks by
@anandtech

Apps
115.8% — 5800X
108.8% — 11700K (new BIOS)
107.5% — 11700K (old BIOS)
100% — 10700K

Games (lowest res)
123.0% — 5800X
104.5% — 11700K (new)
100.8% — 11700K (old)
100% — 10700K

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:15 AM   #251
acroig
Troll Mod

Of course this makes me feel very good about my 10900KF purchase....

yoz
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:25 AM   #252
acroig
Troll Mod

yoz
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:42 AM   #253
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Hmm, some conflicting results there, Intel better at benchmarks, AMD better at gaming
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:54 AM   #254
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Hmm, some conflicting results there, Intel better at benchmarks, AMD better at gaming
Yeah, surprised at that, would have guessed the opposite.

yoz
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:27 AM   #255
KAC
It might be gays!

CPUZ bench is whatever.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 02:24 PM   #256
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Yeah, surprised at that, would have guessed the opposite.
Will be interested in the full reviews. Not that I will be changing out any time soon
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2021, 03:23 PM   #257
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Of course this makes me feel very good about my 10900KF purchase....
Seriously, they should have just released 10900k with pcie 4.0 support and called it 11th gen..
Old Mar 15, 2021, 03:38 PM   #258
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Seriously, they should have just released 10900k with pcie 4.0 support and called it 11th gen..
Correct.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 15, 2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 05:06 PM   #259
demo
space cadet

You need 11th gen CPU to use gen4 features
Old Mar 15, 2021, 06:19 PM   #260
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
You need 11th gen CPU to use gen4 features
I stand corrected, thanks.

yoz
Old Mar 15, 2021, 08:08 PM   #261
acroig
Troll Mod

yoz
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:10 PM   #262
KAC
It might be gays!

Seems more and more reasons to not even look at 11th gen. Glad I got the 5900X when I did. They are still in short supply. 5600X and 5800X seem to be everywhere though now.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 12:27 AM   #263
demo
space cadet

Apparently there's a 'feature' unique to 11900k that will be revealed on the 30th... Probably 3200mhz Gear 1:1

I honestly think they achieved a few % gain from the extra 300mhz clock and since it wasn't enough, they gimped the i7 IMC to gain a few more %.

I think the biggest benefit of 11th gen will be gen 4 storage and direct access (SAM) using gen4 speeds.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 07:24 AM   #264
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Mar 16, 2021, 01:30 PM   #265
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

182$ USD or about 250$ CAD for a 6 core 12 thread 11400k thats a really good price.

Theres no way amd can keep on selling the 5600x for 550$ CAD up here.

Quote:
_rogame replied
Don Charlie
@ghost_motley
·
1h
i5-11400f/11400 paired with a B560 board is going to be a very attractive option for gamers, especially as it now has memory overclocking.

The Ryzen 5 5600X continues to look like exceptionally poor value.

AMD need to get out a Zen3 6c/12t CPU that is below $200
Quote Tweet
_rogame
@_rogame
· 8h
That i5-11400 price is insane

182$ for a high performance 6C/12T is huge

Intel will sell a sh** ton of these

Great job Intel

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 01:33 PM   #266
acroig
Troll Mod

yoz
Old Mar 16, 2021, 08:37 PM   #267
demo
space cadet

OK I have pre-ordered and payed for one of these POS.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 09:11 PM   #268
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
It sounds like Gear 1/2 on Intel is not like Gear Down Mode on AMD at all. GDM effectively runs Command Rate at around 1.5 which doesn't result in a very big performance hit. Gear 2 actually runs the memory controller at half speed, resulting a much more noticeable performance regression.

Fortunately it looks like you can force it to run Gear 1 mode.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 09:42 PM   #269
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
OK I have pre-ordered and payed for one of these POS.
11900K?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:23 AM   #270
demo
space cadet

Yeh