Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Default Video Game Prices To Go Up - "Leave No Child Inside"

Probably the worst thing about Democrates is their desire to tax everything for BS social programs.

So, I'm going to have to pay more for video games because the goverment needs to step in and help fat children who's parent's won't say "no" to them having an extra ding-dong for Breakfast?

I just bought a new 32" LCD for my console game-room. It was $799 retail + 8.250 % sales tax. 1% more for fat kids would have cost me another ****ing $8. The price of a 360 Elite or PS3 is going to go up $5 dollars if this bill goes through.

It doesn't seem like a lot but hell, we're already taxed to death as it is.

****ing *******s!

Quote:
A Democratic lawmaker in New Mexico wants to tax televisions and video games to raise funds to fight childhood obesity and improve education in the state, officials said Friday. "I have asked our legislative council service to prepare the "Leave No Child Inside" bill and am hopeful that it will be ready for me to introduce on Monday," educator-turned-lawmaker Gail Chasey told AFP. "Leave No Child Inside" -- a play on the federal education initiative "No Child Left Behind" -- is backed by grassroots environmental group, the Sierra Club.
"The bill proposes levying a one-percent excise tax on the purchase of TVs, video games and video game equipment and would create the 'Leave No Child Inside' fund to receive those revenues," Michael Casaus of the Sierra Club told AFP.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Dodongo77
Radeon Evergreen

Dodongo77 is still being judged by the masses

Is this state or national?

Either way it's some real bull****.
Dodongo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

in my country a ding-dong is a penis.
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Yay! More control is awesome! I can't run my life anyway.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:19 PM   #5
cheetahl
Rage3D Veteran

cheetahl is still being judged by the masses

The only idea these polititians can ever come up with is more taxes.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

This is exactly the same thing as the supposed 'lottery' crap. The part where they are suppose to use this money to help the schools and such. I'd have more respect for these damn politicians if they would just come out and have the balls to admit what they really want our tax money for! Fat kids: Don't eat so much f****** food! Seems to me it's an intelligence issue as opposed to an eating one.

Quote:
Don't eat another ding-dong Cedric...dah...dah
Dc
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This is utter bull****! They should just penalize the parents of obese kids, not EVERYONE!
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Right now I'm at about maybe 20% for federal tax (base + medicare + SS). Then in my area the sales tax is 8.25%. Plus you have massive extra tax on Gasoline (translation: petral ).

Basically the US goverment already takes 1 out of ever 3 dollars I make. It's just insane.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:12 PM   #9
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The other day while I was working at Toys-R-Us this fat girl came in with her fat mom, and told her mom she wanted Dance Dance Revolution. It was $50, so her mom told her to look around some more.

She ended up getting some $20 game for the DS. A Bratz game, I think.

I wanted to punch her mom in the face and have her shell out the extra money to get her daughter DDR, so she would at least get some excersize. Jeeez.

Point being, a kid can still play a couple video games and actually get some activity out of it. That being DDR, drums on Rock Band, or pretty much any Wii game and I'm sure more will come. They've also got that SmartCycle thing for younger kids. We don't need a tax on games and entertainment, we need more innovative ways to entertain and excersize people at the same time.

And we need to educate parents on the benefits of such interactive games.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Jack & Coke
Monster Fusion

Jack & Coke is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaderinred View Post
in my country a ding-dong is a penis.
Same here.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:29 AM   #11
kyleb
Radeon Caribbean Islands

kyleb is still being judged by the masses

kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:37 AM   #12
LimeyGeeza
Radeon Volcanic Islands

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

I dunno what the hell is wrong with most parents, my son plays his fair share of video games, but he also swims twice a week and goes to Tae-kwon-do twice a week. And during the summer, he rides his bike, and plays sports, and still manages to fit playing video games in with his dad.

However I'm glad I live in Canada where this tax doesn't apply, with our dollar valued at more than the US dollar, we still pay more for video games than they are in the US. (on average $10 more)
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:41 AM   #13
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

wish the uk's sales tax was only 8%!!!!
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:27 AM   #14
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Taxed to death?

Jesus christ you guys have no idea what taxes are and yet you cry about "aww aww it's so hard for us."

How about you cut down on the consumption a bit instead. If taxes cause that, so much the better.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:20 AM   #15
The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH is still being judged by the masses

Uk tax's amount to around 80% (taxes from earnings + Vat plus many stealth taxes). On top of that there's the huge costs for property, fuel, home gas and electricity, food plus as a bonus prize there's the local council taxes.

Of course it all started with "just 8%" but once they get that it's like a license to ask for another few percent each year.
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:21 AM   #16
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Taxed to death?

Jesus christ you guys have no idea what taxes are and yet you cry about "aww aww it's so hard for us."

How about you cut down on the consumption a bit instead. If taxes cause that, so much the better.

Such a bitter little person

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:22 AM   #17
Das Damen
Radeon R300

Das Damen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
However I'm glad I live in Canada where this tax doesn't apply, with our dollar valued at more than the US dollar, we still pay more for video games than they are in the US. (on average $10 more)
Are you sure about that? Ever since the dollar reached parity in September, I've noticed that all new games are priced the same as in America. Sometimes a store tries to gouge (ie. Futureshop selling Rock Band for $200), but thankfully competition keeps prices where they should be.

Then again, maybe things are different depending on what province you live in.
Das Damen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Blackvenom
Radeon R300

Blackvenom is still being judged by the masses

I live in New Brunswick, Canada and we pay 13% tax on everything in this province, (tax rate was 15%, but they lowered it). I'd love to take an 8% tax though.
Blackvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:24 AM   #19
LimeyGeeza
Radeon Volcanic Islands

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvenom View Post
I live in New Brunswick, Canada and we pay 13% tax on everything in this province, (tax rate was 15%, but they lowered it). I'd love to take an 8% tax though.
Of course, how could I forget we pay GST & PST on just about everything too...
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:26 AM   #20
ukHazard
Radeon Northern Islands

ukHazard is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreven View Post

Probably the worst thing about Democrates is their desire to tax everything for BS social programs.
Democrates? Liberal storage boxes that are cliched in FPS games?

Anyway this probably wouldn't go through, plus I don't care as we have 5% tax in Mass
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:21 AM   #21
ComputerBum
Radeon R420

ComputerBum is still being judged by the masses

haha, w00t for Oregon no sales tax.
ComputerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:35 AM   #22
Bob Bobbles
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Bob Bobbles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBum View Post
haha, w00t for Oregon no sales tax.
yea but then again, you live in Oregon
Bob Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:38 AM   #23
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

^ROFL
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:41 AM   #24
ComputerBum
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bobbles View Post
yea but then again, you live in Oregon

Yes, but could be worse and it's not as bad as everything thinks.

Last edited by ComputerBum : Jan 29, 2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:54 AM   #25
Rambozo
Making Hit Documentaries

Rambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Taxed to death?

Well, I feel sorry for you, but we still have place to *****. 30% +/- taxation is nothing to be happy about. If you do not own the product of your labor, then you are a slave. If you do not own 30% of that product, then you are 30% enslaved. So while it sucks to be me, it must really suck to be you. So maybe this **** doesn't have flies on it yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't ****.

Not my fault, I voted Ron Paul.

Not my fault, I voted Badnarik.
Rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #26
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBum View Post
Yes, but (Oregon) could be worse and it's not as bad as everything thinks.
Uh-huh...

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:20 PM   #27
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I thought most of Rage3d was liberal. What happend? Do you guys not want more tax and government control to fix your lives and everyones elses that you think should be fixed? I would of thought you guys would worship to this news. MORE GOVERNMENT.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:22 PM   #28
ComputerBum
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
Uh-huh...

Yeah, then check out our amazing summers. Anyways their is no point to argue this and really if thats the only defense you have that is sad. It's better then living in most of the **** hole states of the US. Otherwise it's just my opinion so give up.

Last edited by ComputerBum : Jan 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:51 PM   #29
ukHazard
Radeon Northern Islands

ukHazard is still being judged by the masses

At the end of the day though, Dreven isn't in New Mexico, so he shouldn't really care...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:33 PM   #30
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
I thought most of Rage3d was liberal. What happend? Do you guys not want more tax and government control to fix your lives and everyones elses that you think should be fixed? I would of thought you guys would worship to this news. MORE GOVERNMENT.
Since when do liberalists generally want more government? Milton Freedman, one of the most important liberalists of all time, has always preached for less government involvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
Well, I feel sorry for you, but we still have place to *****. 30% +/- taxation is nothing to be happy about. If you do not own the product of your labor, then you are a slave. If you do not own 30% of that product, then you are 30% enslaved. So while it sucks to be me, it must really suck to be you. So maybe this **** doesn't have flies on it yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't ****.
+rep