Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:53 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cbope
I have no title...

cbope is still being judged by the masses

Default Xpress 200 chipset driver?

I have assembled 3 Shuttle ST20G5 XPC's which have the ATI Xpress 200 chipset for Athlon64. I installed GeForce 6600 PCI-E cards for the graphics, I'm not using the integrated ATI graphics. My questions is this... is there a "chipset" driver that needs to be installed for XP? I tried to install the Xpress 200 drivers from the Shuttle CD, but it's obviously looking for the integrated graphics and stops installation because it can't find the hardware. It doesn't appear to install any kind of chipset driver. There are no other drivers on the CD which appear to be for the chipset itself.

These are the first Xpress 200 chipsets I've had to deal with, and I'm a bit confused as to the lack of a chipset driver, as has always been needed in the past for nVidia, Intel and Via based motherboards and any flavor of Windows. Everything seems to be working fine and performance seems OK, although I haven't run any benchmarks yet. I just find it strange that XP doesn't need any kind of chipset driver to recognize and use the new chipset which was obviously not available at the time of XP's release.
cbope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 01:12 PM   #2
CoolasMoo
Rage3D Veteran

CoolasMoo is still being judged by the masses

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/support/drivers.php

Get the chipset driver, and when installing select advanced mode

Deselect the Ati drivers and CP and it should install everything else.

You can also grab Lan, Sound and Sata drivers from that link aswell

Edit/ i just presumed you were using the Sapphire Gruper board, but they may work anyway
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:08 AM   #3
cbope
I have no title...

Not trying to be rude, but I pretty clearly stated what system I was using. I downloaded the drivers from Sapphire anyway, but they do not contain any north bridge drivers for the chipset. The Shuttle mainboard does not use the ATI south bridge, which were the only chipset-related drivers in the Sapphire package. I'm still at a loss to explain why no north bridge driver is needed... anyone?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:59 PM   #4
AACDIRECT
Radeon R300

AACDIRECT is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbope
Not trying to be rude, but I pretty clearly stated what system I was using. I downloaded the drivers from Sapphire anyway, but they do not contain any north bridge drivers for the chipset. The Shuttle mainboard does not use the ATI south bridge, which were the only chipset-related drivers in the Sapphire package. I'm still at a loss to explain why no north bridge driver is needed... anyone?
I can't really explain why you don't need northbridge drivers but you don't. I have a CF board and the only drivers for the MB are for the southbridge. (Which you said you don't have...I assume it has the ULI southbridge.)
LiquidXS Prototype #2
Athlon 64 of the week (This week a 3GHz FX-60)
DFI CFX3200-DR
ATI X1900 Crossfire 512MB
Corsair 1GB XL Pro
2x200 GB Seagate on SATA Raid
1x400 GB Seagate
www.aacdirect.com
AACDIRECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 04:07 AM   #5
cbope
I have no title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACDIRECT
I can't really explain why you don't need northbridge drivers but you don't. I have a CF board and the only drivers for the MB are for the southbridge. (Which you said you don't have...I assume it has the ULI southbridge.)
Yes, it has the ULi south bridge and I did install those drivers. I ran some benchmarks on it, Sandra and Everest, and the performance seems in line with what it should be. It just seems a bit strange that for the first time in about 10 years, we don't need to load a chipset-specific northbridge driver in Windows...
Old Nov 15, 2005, 08:22 AM   #6
AACDIRECT
Radeon R300

AACDIRECT is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbope
Yes, it has the ULi south bridge and I did install those drivers. I ran some benchmarks on it, Sandra and Everest, and the performance seems in line with what it should be. It just seems a bit strange that for the first time in about 10 years, we don't need to load a chipset-specific northbridge driver in Windows...
Strange but true.....as Ripley would say "Believe It or Not!"
LiquidXS Prototype #2
Athlon 64 of the week (This week a 3GHz FX-60)
DFI CFX3200-DR
ATI X1900 Crossfire 512MB
Corsair 1GB XL Pro
2x200 GB Seagate on SATA Raid
1x400 GB Seagate
www.aacdirect.com
AACDIRECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 09:03 PM   #7
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, I found it kind of strange myself. I was looking high and low to find that chipset driver.

What was even worse was that I had gotten my new crossfire board, and also my new video card. The driver CD for the video card was damaged and unreadable. At the time, the only drivers out for ATI video cards was Cat's 5.10. Well, those drivers didn't support X1K series. So I didn't have video card or motherboard chipset drivers. I was pretty upset after dropping all that money and not being able to use it.

ATI is sending me a new disc. They told me they would have it to me the next day. Well, that was a week ago and nothing yet. Thank god they finally released 5.11 drivers that supported my new video card.

I would like to see drivers for the Xpress200 chipset. I would think that there would be some optimizations to improve performance over generic drivers.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 08:55 AM   #8
Y-STU-K
Rage3D Veteran

Y-STU-K is still being judged by the masses

Erm well there isn't really a need for a north bridge driver, if your machine uses PCI-E then you don't even need the AGP gart driver anymore, but the full driver package off the ATi web site contains gfx, gart and southbridge drivers

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...e&folderID=293
ATi Radeon X1900 XTX
2x 74Gb WD Raptors in Raid0 (Windows XP)
2x 80Gb Seagates in Raid1
Y-STU-K is offline   Reply With Quote