Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 29, 2003, 06:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
0Cyrus0

0Cyrus0 is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down GF FX released!

and judging by the reviews, it pretty much sucks. I expected the GF FX to do to the radeon 9700 what the r9700 did to the gf ti4600. I mean, with a 500/500 clock speed and support for 256mb of ddr-II ram, its shocking to see the performance of the card.

and then theres the unbearable noise made by the beast of a fan:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...fx-boot-hq.mp3 - GeForce FX 5800 Ultra starting up

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...00-boot-hq.mp3 - Radon 9700 Pro starting up.
0Cyrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Icarus
The Cheat

Icarus is still being judged by the masses

man, thats even louder than I thought! I'm never going to buy a GFFX now. Even if it drops below the $200 line.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Sedmire
Radeon R100

Sedmire is still being judged by the masses

It's barely a 10% improvement over the 9700 pro, and it doesn't even improve upon the 9700 pro in all categories. The Geforce FX sucks, especially considering it came out a year later.
What a waste.
Sedmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 29, 2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

yes we really needed another thread on this...

the 50 odd other threads with links to the sound clips and video clips obviously were too hard to search for and check out..

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 07:51 PM   #5
Starla
Banned

Starla is still being judged by the masses

Want a real review? www.anandtech.com. hardocp is good too. The GFX looks to be much more optimized for the amd-nforce platform... what a surprise.
Starla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 07:53 PM   #6
Sedmire
Radeon R100

Sedmire is still being judged by the masses

The FX is still barely any better than the 9700 Pro, especially considering the time put into it.
I mean, what's the point in adding "better" memory, if you're going to have less of it?
Sedmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 07:56 PM   #7
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

welcome to 3 days ago
night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 08:04 PM   #8
Seek & Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Seek & Destroy is still being judged by the masses

+1

Seek & Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 08:34 PM   #9
Flying_Elbow
Radeon R420

Flying_Elbow is still being judged by the masses

I totally agree with Radeonic2. The only review that needs to be read is Anandtech's review, and I've read 4 reviews. Anand's review demonstrates exactly why all of the other reviews' benchmark numbers are not fair to the 9700. All of the other reviews used the 9700's high quality AF, when the 9700, according to the screen shots at Anandtech, shouldn't even have a high quality AF(It should be ATI that is berated for this). The big problem is that the 9700's performance AF, and the quality AF look almost identical, but the quality AF has a much larger performance hit. Plus, when you compare nVidia's quality AF to the 9700's performance AF, the 9700's performance AF looks better. Then, there's the huge difference in AA quality, especially on the lower AA settings. And finally, this new BS about post frame buffer processing that nVidia said they didn't even know about... I mean come on, nVidia... it's getting silly at this point.
Flying_Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:35 PM   #10
HandOfDragon
Radeon R300

HandOfDragon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying_Elbow
I totally agree with Radeonic2. The only review that needs to be read is Anandtech's review, and I've read 4 reviews. Anand's review demonstrates exactly why all of the other reviews' benchmark numbers are not fair to the 9700. All of the other reviews used the 9700's high quality AF, when the 9700, according to the screen shots at Anandtech, shouldn't even have a high quality AF(It should be ATI that is berated for this). The big problem is that the 9700's performance AF, and the quality AF look almost identical, but the quality AF has a much larger performance hit. Plus, when you compare nVidia's quality AF to the 9700's performance AF, the 9700's performance AF looks better. Then, there's the huge difference in AA quality, especially on the lower AA settings. And finally, this new BS about post frame buffer processing that nVidia said they didn't even know about... I mean come on, nVidia... it's getting silly at this point.
I completely agree. nVidia becomes shadier and shadier about their AA and AF. IMO, GFFX IQ sucks when compare to ATI R9700P. Of all the reviews I read, Anandtech do the best homework and the review is the fairest of them all. Everyone agree though that the noise and heat from GFFX are unbearable and excessively loud/hot. There is no way I will put the card in my box. GFFX is even louder than ALL of the components combined in my box and my box is not even quietest out there.

Mocca
HandOfDragon is offline   Reply With Quote