Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:45 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MrkyMrk
Radeon R100

MrkyMrk is still being judged by the masses

Default I've crippled my 9700 Pro... Help!

AMD 2400 XP
Abit NF7-S (nForce2)
256 Mb PC2700 (the other 256 being RMA'd)
Powercolour 9700 Pro
XP Home

Thought I was getting substarndard 3DMark 2001 results - 12,200 to 12,400 - so I decided to update all drivers.

Updated BIOS to latest, updated to nForce unified driver 2.00, including using the non WHQL IDE driver. PC reboots as soon as XP starts up - looks like it may be down to CDR software?

Uninstall the nVidia drivers. This doesn't work. Have to go back to restore point then re-install *without* the IDE drivers. For one, XP now says I've got to re-activate but that my hardware has changed too much fundamentally so I've got to phone MS up and get that sorted. sheesh.

But my 3DMark score is now down to a low 10,000.

What the heck have I done?

I really want to avoid a full re-install if I can...

Regards,

Mark
Car #69
http://www.v8thunder.com/
MrkyMrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:53 AM   #2
Aspect
"Amusing Comment Here"

Aspect is still being judged by the masses

There are 2.03 drivers , try them
~ Specs -> Athlon XP 2600+ ~ Asus A7N8X ~ Win XP Home - SP2 ~ 1 Gig Geil 3200 ~ ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ~ Catalyst 5.6 ~ Maxtor DB+9 80GB and Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB ~ LiteOn Cd-Rw & DVD ~ Q-tec 450 W PSU ~

SPAM , a tasty alternative to useful posts - Aspect
It's all fun and games until the monkey starts flinging his poop - Fat_Daddy_cool
Aspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:19 AM   #3
MrkyMrk
Radeon R100

Thanks for that Iceman (like the avatar).

Excuse the newbie type question, but I presume that AGP drivers are included in the pack?

The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem on an older PC that I rebuilt, but forgot to install AGP drivers... This was an SiS735 based system.

Regards,

Mark
Car #69
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 26, 2003, 07:59 AM   #4
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Ok.. this is going to be a bit lengthy

I saw that you have the NF7-S.. here's the deal. I suspect that you are using the SATA controller for your hard disk. If that is the case, here are the problems I run across lately and their solution.

The latest motherboard version, since it updates the bios of the SATA controller as well needs the latest version of the SATA driver (1.0.0.28 if i remember correctly). Without it you are going to have rebooting problems such as those you are describing here. I reinstalled winxp lately, but i used the SATA driver which was in the disk supplied by the m/b when installing windows. So whenever I tried to install the nForce2 drivers, i had the rebooting problem. So my solution was to reinstall windows with the latest version of the driver, and everything was peachy from there.

What you should do is to update your SATA driver from the device manager, and then install the nForce2 drivers. Do it that way and i believe you will not have any problems.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 26, 2003, 08:07 AM   #5
MrkyMrk
Radeon R100

AFAIK I'm not using the Serial ATA and I *think* I have disabled it in the BIOS, but I guess that doesn't mean XP doesn't need the latest drivers...

Plenty MK references here. Nice one.

Any signs of the latest MK game making it to PC?

Regards,

Mark
Car #69
Old Mar 26, 2003, 08:22 AM   #6
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Well if you haven't deisabled it, try to update the driver. As for MK: DA, we can only hope i guess

Last edited by Kombatant : Mar 26, 2003 at 08:39 AM.
Kombatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 08:34 AM   #7
rachaelsdad
Radeon R420

rachaelsdad is still being judged by the masses

2.03 solved my drive problems. Until then XP would not correctly identify them.
rachaelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:46 AM   #8
MrkyMrk
Radeon R100

Nope. Nothing I try seems to work.

Anyone know how I can fully uninstall mobo / gfx drivers so that I can effectively start from scratch and install latest drivers cleanly?

Regards,

Mark
Car #69